PCOS

Options
Hey,
for people with PCOS, have you lowered your calorie intake any more than MFP has put you at? I saw some threads that said people with PCOS have a BMR 40% lower than everyone. I'm just trying to work out if you need to allow for this when setting calorie intake? Any tips?

Replies

• GlynisH
    GlynisH Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, but.......BUMP
  • paulywoo
    paulywoo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have PCOS and have gone with the calorie intake suggested by mfp. I'm currently on 1200 per day plus exercise calories.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I went 200 OVER what MFP suggested plus I eat my exercise calories and it's working great. So I eat between 1700 and 2100 a day after basically losing the same pound over and over at 1200-1400.
  • Shyhmim
    Shyhmim Posts: 27
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/566947-anybody-on-metformin

I started a thread on PCOS too! Its really surprising to find out how many people are having PCOS out there. Apparently PCOS can cause weight gain, and weight gain could cause PCOS. So its really important to deal with it while we can. I really hope all of us with PCOS can actually get rid of it completely.

I just started to follow MFP's calorie goals and i've lost about 1.5kg in 1 week now. I think its great. hopefully i can keep that up.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and actually found i was much more unsuccessful when on a lower calorie range. I have lost over 190 pounds over the last 5.5 years and for the majority of that time I have eaten 1700-1800 cals...currently i am eating 2200 cals and am losing :) I am having a Dexa scan in a week or so...will be interested to see what they say my BMR is then!
  • Manabug01
    Manabug01 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I the only way I can lose weight steadily and consistently is if I eat a minimum of 1500 calories plus my exercise cals back (another 300 plus). Otherwise I'm all over the place. 40% lower BMR seems a little extreme but I'm no expert, I only know what works sure fire for me. And that's to eat, but HEALTHY.

Oh and my doctor did tell me that cysts/tumors love sugar which is one of the reasons she told me to try low carb. I was also on metformin because I was pre-diabetic as well. I am not trying to sell the low carb diet to anyone, but about 6 months after doing it strict Atkins style (20-30g daily limit) I was off Met and now my ovaries are pretty much clear. I had surgery in 2006 to remove one off my R ovary that was the size of a chicken egg, and had about 2 cysts a year that ruptured for quite a few years. I was ready to have them removed. My last exam and ultra-sound were perfect. My doctor is just amazed at how well my body has responded and fixed itself. Again, not a pitch but my personal experience. It was hell, really.

Cut out your sugars and keep the carbs below 60g a day and watch what happens. JS
  • KWright76
    KWright76 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I did 1200- 1400 calories to lose.
  • salmat77
    salmat77 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Good morning, would you please send me an example of your daily dairy i find it soooo hard to do 100 or less carbs a day.. OMG, i was stressing over it so much and that makes me cranky.
    Thanks,
    :flowerforyou:
    I have PCOS and I the only way I can lose weight steadily and consistently is if I eat a minimum of 1500 calories plus my exercise cals back (another 300 plus). Otherwise I'm all over the place. 40% lower BMR seems a little extreme but I'm no expert, I only know what works sure fire for me. And that's to eat, but HEALTHY.

Oh and my doctor did tell me that cysts/tumors love sugar which is one of the reasons she told me to try low carb. I was also on metformin because I was pre-diabetic as well. I am not trying to sell the low carb diet to anyone, but about 6 months after doing it strict Atkins style (20-30g daily limit) I was off Met and now my ovaries are pretty much clear. I had surgery in 2006 to remove one off my R ovary that was the size of a chicken egg, and had about 2 cysts a year that ruptured for quite a few years. I was ready to have them removed. My last exam and ultra-sound were perfect. My doctor is just amazed at how well my body has responded and fixed itself. Again, not a pitch but my personal experience. It was hell, really.

Cut out your sugars and keep the carbs below 60g a day and watch what happens. JS
  • superstankazz
    Options
    I have PCOS and in my opinion, calories don't matter! It's carbs and and the evil SUGAR that you should eliminate! Insulin spikes are the worst thing for us PCOS sufferers. Cut back on carbs and load up on healthy fats. That's what my endocrinologist said to do anyways.
  • Labriska
    Labriska Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well and because of the general lack of information on the net i never knew half of this stuff thanks for posting.