The Last 10lbs Will Not Go

Options
Hey all - what has helped you tackle the last 10 pounds? I'm down from 170lbs in 2006 to about 135lbs now. I've got 10lbs left to go, but they are not budging! I've been stuck in the 134-137lb range for months now, and I'm losing motivation to stay consistent with MFP since I'm not making progress.

Here's what I've tried so far:
*Upped my calories from 1250/day (I was having trouble exercising due to muscle exhaustion,) to 1400/day
*Tried adding Pilates to my bike routine (I can't lift weights due to a joint condition)
*Started cooking at home more often so I can use whole, 'clean' ingrediants
*I don't drink soda, and only eat dessert occasionally (and in small portions)

The challenges:
*I'm very busy (aren't we all?) - fitting in enough exercise is a big challenge, as is combating tiredness
*I have a medical condition - no weight lifting, running or other exercise that puts stress on the joints. I also have food allergies because of my medical condition and can't eat wheat.

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    The last 10 pounds took me forever to lose! My advice is:

1. Make sure you set MFP for a 0.5 lb/week loss. You can't be too aggressive with the last few pounds.

2. If you don't already, you may want to mess around with eating exercise calories.

3. After every change you make, say after setting MFP to a 0.5 lb/week loss, you need to give your body 2 weeks or so to adjust and see if it worked.

Unfortunately, this is the time when you have to be patient. It won't come off fast. I view it as the final test for weight loss; if you have the patience to make it through the last 10 pounds, then you know you'll never allow yourself to regain the weight and go through that again!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    This happened to a girlfriend of mine, and it ends up that she was pregnant.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'm working on my last 5lbs :( it's terribly frustrating, ever since the 10lb-away-mark.

I've upped my calories numerous times. I started here at 1200, then went to 1300 (cause I was starving), then my BMR (1440ish), then set for 1/2lb a week (1530 I think?) and I just recently switched my "activity level" to lightly active so that gave me another slight bump (now eating 1650).

I feel like I'm eating soooooooo much food, and it's still too soon to tell if it's a good plan, BUT I know I had success every single other time I bumped cals, so I'm holding on for a while longer!!

I've also heard changing up your exercise helps too. don't do what you always did - add weight training if you haven't already, or add HIIT, or just step out of your comfort zone in one way or another.

good luck!!

edit - oops, I'm guilty of skimming.... just saw you said you cant do weights. what about LIGHT weights? 5-10lbs? better than nothing!
  • k9runner1963
    k9runner1963 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    No advice, but wishing you the best of luck!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Estimate your BMR and post your results. Also, what do you do for a living as well as your entire workout routine. I can already tell you 1400 isn't enough calories. Also, how tall are you? You may not be able to lose weight but rather need to look into cutting fat. Besides, cutting fat (or body recomposition) is what makes you look good naked. Skinny makes you look good in clothes.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Maybe try zig zagging your calorie intake? As in eat 300 less one day and 300 more the next? Technically you'd still be having same overall weekly intake but some people think going back and forth like that shocks your body a little more.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Maybe try zig zagging your calorie intake? As in eat 300 less one day and 300 more the next? Technically you'd still be having same overall weekly intake but some people think going back and forth like that shocks your body a little more.

Also maybe water training could help you. A lot of people with joint conditions use that as a way to painlessly workout!
  • aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Eat at least your BMR and up your protein intake!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    hi. i know you said you can't do weights because of your joints - i was just wondering how bad they were? i have one dodgy knee and one occassionally dodgy hip, since i started squating with weights i have actually noticed a big improvement in my knee - i've been able to skip my fish oil with absolutely no twinges and haven't had any hip pain either. you could mabey try doing some bodyweight exercises then add weight gradually if you find it ok.

i also agree that you're eating way too little. i have been trying to shift the same half stone since december though so i can definately sympathise.
  • Fishing4Stars
    Options
    Estimate your BMR and post your results. Also, what do you do for a living as well as your entire workout routine. I can already tell you 1400 isn't enough calories. Also, how tall are you? You may not be able to lose weight but rather need to look into cutting fat. Besides, cutting fat (or body recomposition) is what makes you look good naked. Skinny makes you look good in clothes.

According to MFP, my BMR is 1,331. I am 5'3" tall, so (though 135 is 'healthy' according to BMI,) 125lbs is reasonable, I think. However, you are right that it is fat that needs to go. Also, 1400 is the net calories that I eat: I eat back my calories from exercise, so usually eat 1600-1800 total calories/day.
  • Fishing4Stars
    Options
    hi. i know you said you can't do weights because of your joints - i was just wondering how bad they were? i have one dodgy knee and one occassionally dodgy hip, since i started squating with weights i have actually noticed a big improvement in my knee - i've been able to skip my fish oil with absolutely no twinges and haven't had any hip pain either. you could mabey try doing some bodyweight exercises then add weight gradually if you find it ok.

i also agree that you're eating way too little. i have been trying to shift the same half stone since december though so i can definately sympathise.

The weights limitation is per my orthopedist and rheumetologist due to benign joint hypermobility syndrome - their advice is to do body-weight resistance strength training only, as I am extremely injury prone, and at risk for early onset osteoarthritis. I don't want to put myself at risk, but I really do need to increase strength - it's a conundrum.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options

According to MFP, my BMR is 1,331. I am 5'3" tall, so (though 135 is 'healthy' according to BMI,) 125lbs is reasonable, I think. However, you are right that it is fat that needs to go. Also, 1400 is the net calories that I eat: I eat back my calories from exercise, so usually eat 1600-1800 total calories/day.

You should be around 1650-1700 calories a day. And since you are already there, i would suggest seeing if you can find more ways (within your limitations) to do resistance training. Swimming is a great choice as it's low impact. Also, stuff like pushups and pullups are great which uses your body and no weights. In reality, if you can't cut the fat, losing 10 lbs wont help because more than likely, the weight loss would be muscle. A program like insanity might be beneficial as it only uses body weight to cut the fat.