Do you log Yard work in exercise??

Options
If so what do you put it under?? I Raked leaves, pulled up grass, mowed the yard?? About 1.5 hours worth..

Replies

• MandyMcAwesome
    MandyMcAwesome Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If I sweat, I log. Every little bit counts!
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    yes...log under gardening:)
  • inetgirl
    inetgirl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yard work, I have an HRM so yep I count it. Especially since it's not a daily thing.
  • Horseapples
    Options
    Type raking under exercise. It's in there.
  • eljulia
    eljulia Posts: 40
    Options
    My friend just logs using the calories shown on her heart rate monitor, i usually use "raked yard" or whatever like that. i keep thinking about getting a fitbit or a hrm, but so far things are working the way i'm doing them, so it's good enough for me! :smile:
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. Depends on what I'm doing and how long I'm at it. Sometimes I'll wear my HRM just to see what mowing makes me burn.
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    I dont log it unless I'm desperate for the calories.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    If it's strenous, why not. Now if you're just standing there leisurely raking and you're not putting in any additional effort other than what your body would ALREADY burn by just standing there, then no I would not log it.

Did you wear a HRM? If not, MFP calorie counters grossly OVER-estimate calories burned. Heads up.
  • jlt1968
    jlt1968 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I list it under cardio, because it was easier to add there. I also used an app called cardio trainer to help figure the calories burned. I also add house work because I'm on my feet constantly moving. I hope this helps.
  • mississippi_queen
    mississippi_queen Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I log it. Which I have my settings set to sedentary so anything above that I log.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Yes, I log it as Gardening, but the calorie burn for that is very high so I only log half the time unless I'm hauling around a lot of stuff, shoveling, digging, etc.
  • jcarnes66
    jcarnes66 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Mowing the grass is great for you (as long as you're not using a riding mower)!!! ;)
  • melissabatmcnet
    melissabatmcnet Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input, I was sweating. I should also mention it was a push mower not a riding one.. I guess I need to get a HRM :happy:
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. Yard work is hard work, and it burns calories. If you can't find the info on MFP, you can look at these 2 websites:
    nutristrategy.com and caloriecount.about.com.
  • melissabatmcnet
    melissabatmcnet Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. Yard work is hard work, and it burns calories. If you can't find the info on MFP, you can look at these 2 websites:
    nutristrategy.com and caloriecount.about.com.

Thanks for the website info..
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I dont log it unless I'm desperate for the calories.

Ditto. And I haven't been that desperate yet.
  • pasturepilot
    pasturepilot Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I log it, but I only log about a third of the time. I.e. An hour of yard work gets logged as 20 minutes. The calorie estimate on it is way off.