An observation study -- of only one person

Options
I posted this on my blog, but thought I'd add it here too.

I started MFP in January. I started eating the recommended "1200 calories if you want to lose two pounds a week." I am exercising and eating back exercise calories.

I lost about 20 pounds this way, but it was an erratic trek. There was a lot of water retention and fluctuation. Yes -- I weighed myself every day. One time, I fluctuated 5 to 6 lbs from one day to the next. But on any given day I was up and down wildly.

It was difficult to eat that low most of the time and to stay under the protein allowance, especially if for some reason I didn't get to exercise that day.

Then I upped my calories to 1700 and changed my macro composition to 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fats. I've been doing my own version of a lifting routine 3 times a week, although I have yet to incorporate squats and some of the large muscle groups exercises because I have bad knees and want to wait until I am not as heavy. But I try to lift as heavy as I can and still keep good form in any lifting I do.

Instead of having 2-3 oz of protein, at the most, at each meal, I am getting 5-6. I've added protein bars and protein shakes the last week. My weight is not fluctuating wildly from day to day and I've gotten out of my plateau and lost an additional 3 lbs.

Also, I have a double chin, like many overweight folks, that I've noticed "deflates" when I eat very clean, with no refined carbs and very little sugar. It inflates when I have pasta or white bread or sweets.

But, most importantly, I feel energetic and "younger," if that makes any sense. And I'm feeling this way even though I'm just getting over a bad cold with lots of chest congestion.

Of course, I'm not the first on here to have switched to eating more and upping the protein, but I wanted to recount my own experience.

Replies

• Balice57
    Balice57 Posts: 125
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. It makes me feel better about my new higher daily calorie goal. I, also, can tell immediately when I have overdone the wrong kind of carbs and overloaded on salt. Yesterday I suddenly looked fat to myself, and I know it is because I haven't been as vigilant the last couple of days. My face shows that excess right away.