Skinny *****?

Options
Ok, so I read the book Skinny *****... and it sounds ideally wonderful, and I am sure it makes people very healthy.. but is there anyone out there who actually follows the book? Is it setting unrealistic standards of eating?

My biggest worry is that I do not cook well...

Replies

• Tasha1476
    Tasha1476 Posts: 220
    Options
    That's B_ T C H incase you didnt understand what the title of the book was.
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I looked the book over, and, while it's not for me and my family, it looks pretty good. We are legume/dairy/gluten free, so we're a bit more down the road than this book recommends, but I don't think it's at all out of anyone's reach. Just take it one step at a time and pretty soon you'll find yourself at your goal! for life!
  • superduperbandnerd
    Options
    I did it for two months ... lost 20 pounds .. I stopped doing it because I got sick ... but I didn't gain the weight back.
  • orlandofatty1
    Options
    I don't mean to be negative, but in all reality the key to losing weight is portions, variety and simply watching your fat intake. You can't rely on boxed foods and takeout, and cooking will come with time. Pick up a cook book like Cooking Light (or Light Cooking...can never get it straight when I'm not looking at it)...they keep it simple.

The book Skinny B**CH, is a scam, in my opinion. To me, they have a point about sugar, BUT, here's the thing...if you deprive yourself of the things you *want* for too long, you end up miserable, thereby becoming a B**CH. Plus, some of the stuff they suggest to throw out of your diet will end up making your body unable to tolerate certain things...which will REALLY suck if you want to live in the real world. It's kind of like a cross between a no carb/no sugar diet, so you may as well go Atkins or Sugar Busters for that matter.

Sure, every diet works in theory, but you need to know how YOUR body processes foods. If you KNOW pastas bloat you up, cut them out or down, if you know too much of something makes your body do something you don't like, cut it out or down. I've known people who tried to follow Skinny B**CH, and I read the book, and it ended up being a sham. So, if anyone WAS able to *make it work* for them, more power to 'em.
  • tabstattooed
    Options
    I
  • tabstattooed
    Options
    I have this book downloaded to my Kindle and have not yet read it .....but I wanted to read it because my niece swears by it.
    I wont follow it I am gastriic bypass, I just want to read it for the heck of it
  • xeniasimms
    Options
    I haven't read the book. But I am curious, what does it suggest you do and don't eat? Could someone give me a basic breakdown please.
  • Tasha1476
    Tasha1476 Posts: 220
    Options
    I haven't read the book. But I am curious, what does it suggest you do and don't eat? Could someone give me a basic breakdown please.

more or less:
    no meat, no sugar, no dairy. It's more complicated than that, but those are the major restrictions. Basically it just consists of becoming at the very least a strict vegetarian but ideally that you would go all the way to vegan.

The reason I am worried about its realisticness, is that everyone I have ever known that is a vegetarian or similar relies very heavily on their love of cooking intricate meals. and I am a very basic meal, as little preparation as can be required kinda gal.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I just heard it was very vegetarian. Lean Protein is huge, and I agree that to live your life , it`s a lifestyle change. I don`t plan to be soley vegetarian, so I`d rather do it properly and learn to change my lifestyle, not make it a diet. But I certainly have vegetarian days! Good luck.:drinker:
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I just heard it was very vegetarian. Lean Protein is huge, and I agree that to live your life , it`s a lifestyle change. I don`t plan to be soley vegetarian, so I`d rather do it properly and learn to change my lifestyle, not make it a diet. But I certainly have vegetarian days! Good luck.:drinker:
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Sounded kinda scary to me when I thumbed through it....but I suppose if you were looking to go vegetarian or something similar, it would be great! I need my meat and cheese though :)
  • sirabe76
    Options
    Dont read this book. i have read it and it is just aa meat has harmful stuff in it vegan time book. FWhat I got from the book is information about the FDA and scare tactics to make you become a grown your own food wihtou meat products type of stuff.

ave you rmoney and leave it be.. That is unless you are interest in this lifestyle change. I am super dissappointed in this book.
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    I absolutely love this book. Mostly, I follow the rules, but it is difficult to be perfect. (Right now I'm eating transfat Skippy peanut butter because I can't get the real deal in China). What I do is take one thing a month that I want to improve on, and once I master that, I move on to the next.
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options

The book Skinny B**CH, is a scam, in my opinion. To me, they have a point about sugar, BUT, here's the thing...if you deprive yourself of the things you *want* for too long, you end up miserable, thereby becoming a B**CH. Plus, some of the stuff they suggest to throw out of your diet will end up making your body unable to tolerate certain things...which will REALLY suck if you want to live in the real world. It's kind of like a cross between a no carb/no sugar diet, so you may as well go Atkins or Sugar Busters for that matter.

Actually, I find when I don't eat sugar, I want it less frequently - and when I do give in, I really give in. I follow this book, I think it's great, and of course you can't change everything at once, but little by little I'm getting closer to being a Skinny *****. Maybe it doesn't work for everyone, but that doesn't make it a scam.

and, the book is a really great read.
  • tabstattooed
    Options
    regardless of if it is a scam or not....if you become a strict vegan you do need to take vitamin and other supplements. Being vegan is great but you do have to make sure you are getting the nutrients you need. This diet plan also means you have to watch what you drink as well as eat.

Protien is key for muscle development and recovery. You need muscles to burn fat. And when we start losing weight....guess what???? we lose muscle!!!! Your muscles begin to break down fast so you have to work them and keep them. Whey protien is the best....but its animal by product a no no in this book from my understanding. Soy is ok but it is not Whey....

Oh well to each his own. I dont want any arguements or hate messages. I am just stating my opinion. I think which ever way you go you must be fully informed as to what you are facing and the potential hazards could be from any weight loss and diet lifestyle changes. Just like with Atkins and so on. Low carb can have adverse effects on your daily ability to function. You experience focus issues, mood issues and so on and thats when you get below 100 gr per day. So one just needs to be careful wither way they go.

Good luck to all, I will read it with an open mind. We are all entitled to our opinions and what works for you may not be right for someone else. Sometimes we think something is a scam when in reality it is a matter of self discipline for some people. Opinions people.....we all have them and we are entitled to them but dont sway someone elses decisions on which route to take for their own personal weight loss.
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    It's not so much the book is a scam, rather, the way it's written is inflammatory and at times ill-informed. The writing is in a humorous manner, but I found much of it arrogant and poorly researched. Even as a former vegan I've never had a soft spot for PETA agendas and poor research.

Sugar / sweeteners: They make great points about the use of sugar and sweeteners as additives in our food supply, HOWEVER, they fail to address that "alternative" sweeteners such as agave, honey, etc. still have the same chemical structure as sugar and STILL need to be used in strict moderation. Funny enough, in their recommended prepackaged foods section, most of the foods are quite sugar-laden. BS? I think so.

Soy: I'm still not convinced this is a healthy form of protein and avoid the stuff entirely, but that's just me. It gives me some major GI distress. This book relies on it quite heavily. The authors don't seem to mention our "Big Grain Agra" dilemma (soy, corn) that's discussed heavily in Food Inc.

Factory meat: Some good info on WHY to avoid or reduce consumption of factory meat. However, the ladies don't go into sustainable grass-fed and free range meats and basically bash all meat consumption claiming it unhealthy for the heart, poisonous, terrible for the land (again, had they done more in explaining sustainable farming, especially sustainable grain agriculture, which, haha, they don't even touch on, they may have come to a different conclusion...) blah blah blah. A lot of it is simply a thinly veiled PETA agenda.

Recommended foods: Where do I begin here? They advise eating a lot of Frankenfood in the name of it being "organic." I remember a quote of some nature in the line of "We snack on these all the time and don't gain weight." Sorry ladies, that's utter BS and you know it. Because something is natural and organic DOES NOT excuse the potential consumer from reading the label and understanding ingredients or proper serving size.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I'd like to think I'm one of the few people who a) grew up on a farm, and b) is a fairly staunch vegetarian.

I don't like the book. They raise some good points, but their constant bashing of agribusiness is ill-informed to say the least. Yes, there are very evil corporate farms out there, however most farmers are mom and pop operations that struggle to get by. They can't afford to abuse their livestock because they have to keep them in top shape so they can be shown at fairs to bring in a trickle of secondary income. Small farmers must make money off of every single thing in their farm, they don't have the 'luxury' of being able to abuse and neglect livestock.

Any good things they talk about get shadowed by their marketing hype and offensive language. And if you think they have your good health in mind - why are there about 10 different "Skinny (INSERT WORD HERE)" books on market? Sounds more like they just wanted to hook people and get them to start buying their books than actually get across decent information.
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    I'd like to think I'm one of the few people who a) grew up on a farm, and b) is a fairly staunch vegetarian.

I don't like the book. They raise some good points, but their constant bashing of agribusiness is ill-informed to say the least. Yes, there are very evil corporate farms out there, however most farmers are mom and pop operations that struggle to get by. They can't afford to abuse their livestock because they have to keep them in top shape so they can be shown at fairs to bring in a trickle of secondary income. Small farmers must make money off of every single thing in their farm, they don't have the 'luxury' of being able to abuse and neglect livestock.

Any good things they talk about get shadowed by their marketing hype and offensive language. And if you think they have your good health in mind - why are there about 10 different "Skinny (INSERT WORD HERE)" books on market? Sounds more like they just wanted to hook people and get them to start buying their books than actually get across decent information.

BINGO. They completely gloss over the debate of the sustainable Mom & Pop farm like the one my own family owns.