what should I weigh?

Options
I am 5' 4.5" and am 41 years old. What should I weigh? I am shooting for 120. My husband thinks I am fine. Everyone at work thinks I am fine. I am at 132. I started at 163. I do have breast implants in that weigh 2.5 lbs each. Should I take that into consideration? I just do not want to be too skinny, but I want to be healthy. I got on the scale and it tells me my body fat %. It says 30%. Is that high? I am a little clueless.... Thanks for your comments.

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I don't know about weight. However, I know that 20% body fat is lower edge of healthy and 17% is the around where it is considered highly athletic. In your case I would go with % body fat instead of watching the weight so much.

Good Job on the weight loss so far. :happy:
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 4.5" and am 41 years old. What should I weigh? I am shooting for 120. My husband thinks I am fine. Everyone at work thinks I am fine. I am at 132. I started at 163. I do have breast implants in that weigh 2.5 lbs each. Should I take that into consideration? I just do not want to be too skinny, but I want to be healthy. I got on the scale and it tells me my body fat %. It says 30%. Is that high? I am a little clueless.... Thanks for your comments.

Did you check the BMI calculator on this site? Do you work out at all? 30% is a high bodyfat %. Weight is only one measurement of fitness; bodyfat % is more accurate, along with body measurements. As you gain muscle by working out (both cardio and strength training), you will replace fat lbs. with muscle lbs. and muscle weighs more than fat, ergo, the scale can "lie," telling you that you are at your ideal weight, when in reality, you're "skinny-fat."

Congrats on your achievement!!

All the best on your journey!! :flowerforyou:
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Yea 30 percent is high but those scales can be WAY off, you should get tested using skin fold or hydrostatic weighing.. I'd check with your gym if you have one... But body fat percentage is more important than what they scale says. Also, don't worry too much about what other people think, you have to feel comfortable in your own skin. Good luck :happy: :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • xeniasimms
    Options
    132 is actually a really healthy weight for your height. 120 might be on the lower end but I don't think it is out of the unnormal weight range. You should definitely subtract your implants from your weight because they are not apart of your natural body weight. Therefore you only really weigh 127. Your body fat percentage is way more important though. So instead of trying to eat less and lose weight, try to get a good amount of protein in your diet, stay hydrated and do strength training and this will better sculpt your body and transform your body fat into muscle. You may weigh the same or more, but you will look more toned and fit in your clothes better.
  • ldbenincasa
    Options
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/library/blbodyfatcharts.htm

This is a link that shows body fat ranges for men and women. Women should have a much higher percentage, for obvious reasons. The heathy range for a woman your age is 23%-35%. Regarding BMI, I was just told by a personal trainer at my gym this week that BMI is not a good measurement to judge by. BMI does not consider the fact the muscle weighs more than fat. Very heavily muscled people will have a high BMI, placing them in the obese category, meanwhile they will have a very low body fat %. He told me that BMI was created by insurance companies as a way to determine the risk levels of their customers. Body fat is a much more significant statistic.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    So aim for 120, and see how you feel along the way. Goals can always be readjusted. Weight doesn't really matter. Fitness does.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    There are many sites that have calculators. Check them out and do your research.:flowerforyou:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Edit: I misread. Hate when I do that. lol
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    do whatever weight you feel most comfortable at. Maybe toning would make you happier than actually dropping pounds.

i agree to focus more on body fat % than an actual number from the scale
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Yeah, we can't really give you an exact weight because that depends on a number of factors that are individual to you, but as to body fat %, you can absolutely shoot for 21 or 22% which is a very nice body fat for a woman to have. I saw 2 other posts on this thread, the 2nd one was more correct, 20% is great for a woman, but that's not the lower end of healthy, it's the upper end of elite athlete. About 13% is the minimum adult woman can have, and anywhere from 20 to 28% is considered healthy and normal, but lower is fine, 30% is a little high, but not real bad. If I were you I'd forget about the weight, focus on a very small calorie deficit, and do a lot of higher intensity stuff (HIIT, advanced classes, plyometrics, explosiveness drills) which are all designed to burn body fat. Do that along with a good, healthy food plan that includes plenty of fresh veggies, whole grains, healthy oils, and stay away from the high sugar foods, and you should be able to drop 5 to 10% in body fat% in 4 to 6 months. Will your body weight go up if you do this, quite possible, depending on how much muscle mass you have right now, but it will be muscle and supporting weight, which is healthy, looks GREAT, and actually slims down your size; all things IMHO, that are good goals anyway.
  • casamelsmom
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments! I do South Beach Diet, so I am already eating healthy. I walk alot. Now that the kids are all in school, I am going to increase my workout to include a kickboxing class. Maybe a butts and guts class too. It is just frustrating when everyone says I am fine (including my MD) but I still see problems that need to go away. I appriciate all your answers.
  • Ripgirl
    Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar situation where I am told I look fine, but I know I need work. For me.

Years ago a fitness instructor said something to our class I've not forgotten:

"Stay off the scale. Take off your clothes, stand in front of the mirror and jump up and down. If you see something you don't like, work on it."

So I'm working on it.

The scale is just a data point and while it is encouraging to see it move (albiet very occasionally in my case :grumble: ) in the desired direction, I will be more motivated to continue when my jeans start to slide on without the jolly jumper routine. My weight loss target right now is a best guess based on what 'fit' felt like the last time I was there, about 5 years ago.

You'll know when you get there too!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments! I do South Beach Diet, so I am already eating healthy. I walk alot. Now that the kids are all in school, I am going to increase my workout to include a kickboxing class. Maybe a butts and guts class too. It is just frustrating when everyone says I am fine (including my MD) but I still see problems that need to go away. I appriciate all your answers.

Assuming there are no psychological issues, go with what you are happy with. Given that about 75% of the people is this country are overweight to obese, we have pretty much forgotten what a "normal" physique looks like.

I guarantee that if you get down to 22% body fat, you will have people asking your husband if you are sick. (There is no need to get to that level, but there is nothing wrong with trying to achieve it either, if that's what you want).

I agree with others who say that a certain amount of muscle looks better (and healthier) than a gaunt, starved look anyhow.

I am having a similar issue. I have lost 50+ lbs and, compared to 5 mos ago, yeah, I look great. But I also know from my past what my "normal" weight should be and I still have a ways to go (at least 20 lbs). I have learned not to say that out loud anymore because it seems to make people upset.