Running/jogging with a dog!

Options
How many other people run and job with their dogs regularly?

Exercise for us humans is important, but it's equally as important for our canine companions, especially as overweight doggies is coming more and more common.

I took my dog out with me yesterday and we only went for 3 miles, but coming back towards home he was completely pooped! I was literally almost pulling HIM home!

I saw a link for the Couch to 5K for dogs but when I visited the website, I couldn't find any information about a schedule for exercising and improving your doggies stamina, so I was just wondering if anybody has any suggestions for me and my canine friend? He's young and has so much energy but his stamina is almost nonexistent! lmao

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    My dogs are more into sprint type training, short bursts of speed to chase balls. This type of exercise is important for them in their vocation as protectors of our property. They make sure those pesky squirrels, deer and crows stay out.
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    My little guy has done C25K with me from September, and a few weeks ago, though he was pooped when he got home, he did my 12 mile run with me...

For him tho, about 10k is good, its an hour of a decent pace then we get home and he sprints around the back yard, then sleeps the day away.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What type of dog is it? Different breeds will have different levels of stamina. Some will never be able to run a 5k comfortably. I used to run my dog (RIP) sometimes. She was plenty able to keep up on a 5k but I found it annoying that she wanted to stop and smell every plant we passed.
  • cb83580
    cb83580 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    A lot depends on the breed. My boxer doesn't do well with heat and exertion (the same is true for any other brachycephalic (smushed nose) breeds). My limit for her is about 3 miles if it's over 70 degrees out--and that's walking & running. Any more when it's warm and I practically have to drag her on the way back.

Some dogs can go forever, it seems, but be careful not to overdo it with them.
  • greentiffanie
    greentiffanie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When I first started jogging with my dog she would run all over the place and use up her energy in the beginning, but when we started going more and more she figured it out. To keep her in pace for a long jog I make sure she is on a leash so she can maintain throughout. She is a blue heeler and has tons of energy she loves doing any kind of activity and will go until she drops. Good luck with your pooch!
  • bearxfoo
    bearxfoo Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My dog is an American Pit Bull Terrier :) He does a lot of sprinting around the house, (aka, zoomies!) but ends up burnt out by his 5th lap or so, lol.
  • sarahdee2007
    Options
    Oh my geez. I took my toy schnauzer on my jog Saturday and right off the bat, she ran on the other side of a phone pole and clothes lined us. Lol she did good at keeping my pace for 1.5 miles. she stopped under a shade tree and I thought she needed to pee, but she just laid down and then inched her way into a puddle. The goob! Tiny dogs... SMH
  • angie_sample
    Options
    my dog is a Australian cattle dog and she is VERY high energy she can go with me and then we go to the park and play fetch and she goes for another hour. She just doesnt get tired lol.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Just as with people, you have to build up to it. Make sure that your dog's growth plates are closed (breed dependent), you're going at a distance and pace your dog can do and slowly up it. Keep in mind that they cannot sweat through their body (just their feet) and are not particularly efficient at cooling themselves down, and hydration is just as important for dogs as it is for us.

ETA: I have friends that run miles with their APBTs, no problem. They're kept on the skinny side, and conditioned to run distances, just like with people. I even know someone that mountain bikes with their Pit, about 11 miles or so. The dog has a blast, but then doesn't move for the next few days.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    My dog is an American Pit Bull Terrier :) He does a lot of sprinting around the house, (aka, zoomies!) but ends up burnt out by his 5th lap or so, lol.

I'm no expert, but that doesn't surprise me. Pit Bulls are very muscular and I would think more suited to sprints. Dogs with a lythe build would seem more suited to distance.
  • bsgkid
    bsgkid Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I adore my dog, but she thinks the word 'heel' means 'mush' and she takes off, dragging me behind her all the while. I use a regular collar, and she makes hacking sounds the whole time, so it is NOT fun. My friend ended up poking a hole in her dog's throat by using a pinch collar, so that's out. I've seen ads for shock collars, but that seems cruel. The thought of taking her with me on a walk brings dread, but not walking brings guilt, so I'm stuck. She never seems to tire while on a walk. Because of a former back fracture, my doctor doesn't want me running. If I can't speed up, and she can't slow down, then we're in a pickle! :tongue:
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    We've got Huskies and my husband (I just don't like jogging) will jog with them - if the weather is cold enough they would probably out run him. However, they can't be run long distances at all in temperatures above 14c or so.

Just start off easy with him and build up - make sure you take some water for him half way round. Also, depending on the surface your running on and the frequency you'll need to keep an eye on his paw pads and make sure they're not getting sore, there are products to help with that though :-))
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Darn it, I'm screwed....I have 2 Chihuahuas!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I adore my dog, but she thinks the word 'heel' means 'mush' and she takes off, dragging me behind her all the while. I use a regular collar, and she makes hacking sounds the whole time, so it is NOT fun. My friend ended up poking a hole in her dog's throat by using a pinch collar, so that's out. I've seen ads for shock collars, but that seems cruel. The thought of taking her with me on a walk brings dread, but not walking brings guilt, so I'm stuck. She never seems to tire while on a walk. Because of a former back fracture, my doctor doesn't want me running. If I can't speed up, and she can't slow down, then we're in a pickle! :tongue:

Train her to loose leash walk. Any dog can do it. I had my elbow dislocated by my dog when I first got him (he's an 80+ pound GSD/Malamute mix, I was a 105 pound weakling). While you're working on teaching her to loose leash walk (a good class would help tremendously), use something to control her pulling - there are lots of GREAT no-pull harnesses out there. Just don't let it become your crutch.

I have walked as many as 4 dogs at a time (two are mine, two are my friends'). Weight-wise, they were 108 pounds, 85 pounds, 70 pounds and 60 pounds.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

When your dog starts to pull do a quick 180 and start walking in the other direction. The leash will snap her around and she'll be like WTF? Where are you going and start to look at you. Keep doing this. Dogs pull on a leash because they don't know they are supposed to follow your cue. If you do things that make the look to you for direction, they will, and your dog will heel. :)
  • bcattoes
    Options

What about a harness? My dog used to pull on the leash and gag a lot too. I honestly think it bothered me more than her (or why wouldn't she have stopped??), but I just switched to a harness and problem solved. Except for the stopping to sniff. Never solved that one. :ohwell:
  • clem7444
    clem7444 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have a boxer-lab mix, Emmylou, who loves to run with me. She builds up her stamina with me in the spring (I'm a fair weather runner) and is good for about 7 miles at a 6mph pace. More than that and she starts to lag. It does depend on the heat. I also found that although she usually stops to take a dump halfway through, she has come to understand the difference between a "sniff and pee on everything" walk and a "this is serious; I have to keep up" run.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I would love to take mine, but my route has too many areas full of nasty stickers (we call 'em goat heads, not sure what the actual name is, but they are evil!). I usually have a bout 20 stuck in the bottom of each shoe when I get done, and pick them all out into the garbage can before I come in the house. :tongue: If I took the dogs, I'd be stopping every few feet to pull stickers out of their paws, poor babies. They would love to go, though - I have a lab/shepherd mix and a rat terrier.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I run with my little dude. He's only six pounds, so I was afraid he wouldn't be able to run very far, but I tire much more quickly than he does. I'm training for a 5k, and I have no doubt he could run the whole distance with me provided it wasn't too hot.
    I love taking him running with me - I don't think I'd stick with it if I didn't have him to run with, and I know he loves it too. He goes bananas every time I get my running shoes out of the closet.
  • juliagulia624
    Options
    I have been running with my Pit since he was a pup. He is almost 8 years old now and seems to start dragging after a couple of miles. Pits are working dogs and will do anything their owner tells them to. Which is why I am a little worried now that he is getting to old to run very far and I will end up hurting his health. So I have been wondering about this too. He is in great shape, but 8 for a dog is like 56 for a human. hmmm....