First Week of Logging

Options
Alright so I went and looked back through my first week log of food and half of the days I ate good while the other half I ate bad. Does anyone else find this normal? I know I am still in the process of getting my stomach used to eating less.

Replies

• Jralph0725
    Jralph0725 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I too am in my first week of logging my food. But I'm slowly learning that I am eating constantly. The trick? I try cooking at home insteaed of eating out because I know for a fact what is in the food I cook. Also, I try to use healthier substitutes. For example, I use ground turkey instead of ground beef, Also, I really enjoy breakfast burritos in the morning. But instead of regular white tortillas, im using either whole wheat or whole grain. Instead of regular bacon, I use turkey bacon. I dont have it in me to eat egg whites, but you could use the egg whites instead of the eggs. And of course I have to add small amounts of cheese and Rotel. I think the burrito only ends up being like 260-290 calories. I usually match this with a non-fat yogurt (100 calories) and its not too bad for a delicious breakfast for under 400 calories. From there, if I get hungry, I'm perfectly comfortable with snacking all day. I just try to snack on things like carrots, celery, apples, strawberries, or other fruits/veggies. Unfortunately, I also have a terrible sweet tooth and some days I have to cheat a little. But whatever I eat that is unhealthy, I ONLY have 1 serving. So if I eat some M&M's, I only eat what is considered one serving, then I put the bag away.

Also,dont forget that on days you work out, you get to up your calorie intake so you can eat more. If you are planning on eating something bad, try to do it on a day when you know that you will hit the gym! Hope this helps!!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    When I first started logging I was amazed to see exactly what I was eating. It takes a while to get a real handle on things.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I think it is normal, especially when you are still trying to figure out the whats and hows of changing to a healthier lifestyle. It took me about 3 weeks to calibrate my diary when I first started but after that it became easier and easier. I still have bad days but they aren't that many now.

You will get there, just make sure you are eating enough if you are doing strenous workouts or activities.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Don't expect miracles your first couple weeks. This is the time you get a feel for what you're eating on a regular basis and what changes need to be made. If you're eating poorly, then find out why and try to fix it.
    When I started, I actually realized I wasn't usually eating enough, and I wasn't exercising regularly. 1200 calories per day should be the very minimum you should be eating. Anything under than, you will not lose weight (which is why that little starvation mode disclaimer pops up if you haven't eaten enough).
    We all have good days and bad days. The most important things are, eat enough HEALTHY carloies, drink plenty of water, and if you don't do so well one day, don't get discouraged because you can always do better the next day (just don't let it become a pattern)
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    It is normal! It will get better! It is hard at first, but stick with it!
  • ladyfingers39
    Options
    It takes awhile to get use to. Make sure your eating enough though, you might be eating too little.
  • cjsjbs2
    cjsjbs2 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am finding it hard right now too! I just started a diet again and I am having a hard time seeing everyone around me eat all the "good" food. I feel your pain.... I hope things get better soon!!! :)
  • Heidihomelinda
    Heidihomelinda Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yes, logging everything can be a real wake up call! I notice certain days of the month you will see chocolate, chocolate, chocolate....HaHa but knowing that I have to log in is motivational. I try to snack during the day and add some protein to it (apple + cheese or apple + peanut or almond butter) Etc. Have fun and be patient - this program will work! :)
  • kateflourishes
    kateflourishes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    My first few weeks were shocking for me! I couldn't believe I ate so much crap! But that settles down as you try to come in at your calorie limit. Now I actually have trouble meeting my calorie goal because I exercise every day and have to try and cram in my exercise calories too! I've been at it 3 weeks and lost 3 lbs of the 22 I want to lose, so I'm on my way!
  • mosschops20030
    Options
    so from what i gather we HAVE to eat all our exercise calories?? Some days I burn up to a 1000+ calories, I'd find it hard to eat all them as well as the basic 1200.
    Surely thats not right?
    I always eat my 1200 and if ive exercise i eat a small amount of those calories but most def not all is that wrong???
  • Amberetta82
    Amberetta82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You don't really have to get used to eating less. I eat more fruits & veggies now and can eat waaaay more than I would if I were just eating something bad. You will figure it out. It took me about 4-5 months to figure that I NEED to start eating clean. It has made a big difference too! Experiment with different foods and recipes.
  • mosschops20030
    Options
    I have only been logging a week but I lost 3lb so must be doing something right if anyone can offer any advice I'd be grateful :)
  • Jezebel_Barbie
    Jezebel_Barbie Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    It's normal! I asked the same question when I first started.
  • MariaMariaM
    Options
    I have only been logging a week but I lost 3lb so must be doing something right if anyone can offer any advice I'd be grateful :)

If you are only eating 1200 and burning 1000, then that is a net of only 200 which is extremely large low.
    I eat between 1400 - 1700 depending on the day and burn btw 200 - 500. Mfp is set @ 1300 so I eat most of my calories from exercise. My goal is to be close to my calories for the week because I realize that some days I'm over and some days under.
    You should try to eat at least 50% of your exercise cals otherwise you will feel fatigue and sluggish.
  • Rheaethan
    Rheaethan Posts: 16
    Options
    I'm supposed to eat 1200 calories a day, according to my plan. But if I want to not go over my limit, then technically I'm eating less than 1200 calories per day. Does anyone else have this problem?
  • MariaMariaM
    Options
    I'm supposed to eat 1200 calories a day, according to my plan. But if I want to not go over my limit, then technically I'm eating less than 1200 calories per day. Does anyone else have this problem?
    It is 1200 net calories. If you burn zero calories from workout and ate 1200 then you are eating your goal for the day. If you eat 1200 and burn 200 then your net is 1000. You need to eat 1400 to be at your daily calories. This is what people mean when they say eat your exercise calories. MFP already factors in a deficit in your daily allowance.