Ok girlies....bathing suits???

Options
I know I know...I don't like this subject either, but I'm curious as to what everyone is wearing this summer. I just got a pool for the house and we are going on vacation in August and I need help. I'm not ready for a bikini but I don't want to look matronly either. For those of you with ,ahem, more on top where do you find supportive but cute suits?

Replies

• janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I don't have more on top, but the answer for me on not doing a bikini and not looking matronly is a tankini. Covers the belly, but it isn't a full out grandma skirt type of thing. Find one with good underwire and cups if that's what you need!
  • SpankyBuns
    SpankyBuns Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen the swim dresses they have out? they are cute..I got 2
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Suddenly-Slim-by-Catalina-Women-s-Shirred-Halter-Swimsuit/17804485

This is the MOST flattering swimsuit I have ever had. I have a larger top and I find the support of this one great :)
  • Gel978
    Gel978 Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks Janeite...I was thinking about a tankini - just so many different kinds to chose from!

Spankybuns - I've seen them everywhere and they look super cute....my question is do they make hips/thighs look larger? I've been thinking about getting one, but that would mean I would have to go to the store and try one on.....not enough Jack Daniels in the world right now!
  • tbartley71
    Options
    I know its expensive, but victorias secret has good swim suits with TONS of support on top. (: and you can find padded suits like that cheaper too! Especially for people like me who are on a tight budget.
  • Gel978
    Options
    rjb - that is really cute! I've never seen one that looks like a skirt in front and shorts in back.

tbartley- I haven't tried there yet ....the super skinny girls with the big boobs intimidate me - lol
  • joannezuk
    joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    tbartley- I haven't tried there yet ....the super skinny girls with the big boobs intimidate me - lol

I love Victoria's Secret for bathing suits. Just follow their measurements to a tee and you'll be fine. I have LOTS on top but a small bra band size, so I tend to find that the ones that have ties rather than clips work best for me...I can also adjust them to be tighter and looser depending on my weight.

Don't be scared of the airbrushed models. They're not real anyway!

As a sidenote, you can often get their individual mix and match pieces on clearance for super-cheap. I usually buy a couple whenever I order from them, as they charge astronomical shipping in Canada (incidentally, it's often free or very inexpensive in the US).
  • Gel978
    Options
    Thanks Joanne...I will give it a try!
  • btb079
    btb079 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Check out the Fantasie and Freya brands, as well as Panache. I love them and they are for us well endowed :-)
  • linnettbenson
    linnettbenson Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You ought to look at Athleta. It is a division of Gap.
    Their suits are not cheap but they are well made and are made to last. Some of the tops are even support enough to jog or play volley ball in. I have 2 suits from them and think the money was well spent.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I really like the 1 piece shirred retro looking kinda swim dresses. I had a black one last year and they are cute and flattering. Going to get a new one this year!
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Tankini, maybe by the end of the summer I'll be fit enough to wear a REAL bikini! :smile:
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    i just ordered this the other day: One piece, vintage type style. Cute, covers my tummy that is still large with loose skin!

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/onepiece-swimwear/fruity-suity-one-piece
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Torrid has really cute ones, though I think their smallest size is a 10 or 12.. Kinda pricey. I'm really likeing Target's tankinis this year, as well as Old Navy's. Those are very reasonably priced!
  • kfhoffman12
    Options
    I LOVE the swim dresses! they are really cute and comfy and hide all of my troublesome areas without looking frumpy. Just be careful of which ones you buy, the longer ones stick to your body like glue when you get out of the water!
  • sarafit926
    sarafit926 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I really like the 1 piece shirred retro looking kinda swim dresses. I had a black one last year and they are cute and flattering. Going to get a new one this year!

Agreed -- I have a cute black one that looks very Marilyn Monroe-y. It's more flattering than any bathing suit I've ever had! Old Navy has some nice ones in cute colors.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    retro one piece halter black pokadot suit :] i adore it
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I just bought my first ever string bikini. I've still got about 10 pounds to lose and some belly padding, but I'm comfortable enough in my own skin to give it a go.

Victoria's Secret and Venus Swimwear are my favorite sources.
  • toagirl
    toagirl Posts: 41
    Options
    Bump
  • bobbi_jo2
    bobbi_jo2 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I just bought a swim suit from www.hapari.com. They have amazing Tankinis that offer full coverage. They also have little Tummy Tuk bottoms that help suck in the belly and hips. I LOVE the one I got and it fits great!