advice please

Options
OK so the bmr calculator said mine is 1550 cal per day but the weight loss calculator to lose 1 lb a week set me at 1420, i thought i wasn't supposed to eat less then my bmr??

Replies

• leanne54321
    Options
    As far as I was aware ur BMR was to maintain your weight, so to lose a pound a week you would need to decrease your calorie intake. I could be wrong though
  • jfaure23
    jfaure23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    The tools in MFP do not take into consideration what your BMR is. The tool will make a recommendation for weight loss which may be below your BMR. Your BMR is the minimum amount of calories that your body needs each day to function. If you have a lot of weight to lose (ie. if you are obese) then some experts say it is okay to eat below your BMR. As you get closer to your goal weight, however, eating below your BMR may send a signal to your body that you are not taking in enough calories. This may cause your body to store more fat when you do increase your calories later on.

To maintain your weight, you want to eat at your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). This number is based on your activity level, the more active you are, the greater your TDEE. To lose weight effectively, you will want to eat between your BMR and TDEE.
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    The calculator doesn't use your BMR, just the value of your normal daily calories less 500 a day to lose the 1lb.

Try starting by eating your BMR calories and see how that goes

NB It told me to eat 1200 a day to lose a 1lb a week. I opted to eat 1500 a day and have been losing 1lb every 2 weeks. This matches what I wanted to lose and at a rate I feel will allow me to get used to the reduced food level I will need to be able to keep the weight off in the future.
    My BMR is currently 1310
    My calories burned from normal activity 1640
  • Kait1215
    Kait1215 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    ok thank you :)