Intense Workout Days and the Feast Afterwards

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
I won't lie, on days when I have a very intense workout, there always tends to be a celebratory feast afterwards. Yesterday we ran a 5k, went home, napped for a few minutes, then got up and ran another 4 miles because it was a beautiful day. I burnt at least 1500 calories on both runs, ignore the fact that we walked around the zoo where the 5k was held for a few hours. I also helped my housemate's mother garden for about a half hour.

Now, for breakfast I started off with a greek yogurt and honey so I had something in my belly. After the race they served candy, gatorade, and water. I had a small cup of gatorade and a SMALL funpack of Mike'n'Ikes (one of the event sponsors). Nothing too heinous. However afterwards my housemate and friend were starving, and ended up going to a diner. While there I had homefries, a 2 egg omlette with cheese, mushrooms, peppers, and onion, 2 slices of rye bread, ketchup and 3 cups of coffee.

I had another funpack of Mike n Ike's while at home. Then after gardening we went running for another 4 miles, and ended up going to a chinese buffet (terrible decision). Luckily there's not a lot I can eat there, so it was spring rolls (grease), string beans (grease), broccoli from chicken and broccoli (more grease), lo mein (hella grease), hot and sour soup (not so much grease), and veggie sushi. I finished it all up with a small dish of ice cream, and by small I mean tiny. Oh, I washed it down with a coke.

Part of me knows my body was hungry for calories/carbs/protein, but at the same time this always seems to happen days when I work out strenuously. It also makes me concerned about if I ever try to take on p90x, since its supposed to be crazy strenuous every day.

So, how do those of you avoid the post-exercise binges? Any tips would be appreciated.

Replies

• Jess22207
    Options
    I alwayyyssss i want to eat crazy after a hard workout but what I try to do is eat right after I work out because they say if you wait to eat when your starving is when you over eat. I especially notice after ive gone for a swim i am STARVING but i try to eat something I know is filling and if im still hungry i chug a whole bottle of water. Because sometimes when youre tempted to eat because you think your hungry it could also just be that youre thirsty. try doing that after a work out and see if it fills you up..i know alot of ppl say water doesnt fill them up but it definitely does for me!
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    I'm sure you know this: You should eat a ton of food - just make it good food! Your body doesn't want all that grease, no matter how far it runs!

Try to plan to have the good stuff on hand instead of going with the bad stuff when you're weakest. I have a jar of PB with a measuring spoon always nearby, with a loaf of wheat bread. That at least makes me sane again so I can make the right decisions.

I'm sure you already know all of this - writing this is more like a reminder for me to keep up my good habits.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Yep :)
    The hard part was, I wasn't driving, and the housemate and his buddies wanted Chinese, lol.
    Then me being in a chinese buffet while hungry... well, a man is only so strong :laugh: