Ideal Body Weight......

Options
This is probably more of a guys problem, but...

I hate looking at those standard charts that tell me what my ideal body weight should be. I am 6' tall and most charts say my ideal weight is around 170#. To me that is just plain nuts. When I was skin and bones in high school I was 180#. I know everyone's body's are different and how that body handles weight/muscle is different. Are there different ways to figure out ideal body weight based on stuff like bone structure or muscle mass?

Would you want to weigh your "ideal body weight"?

Replies

• jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I wonder that sometimes myself...my guy is 6' tall and about 145--right on the cusp of being underweight. He's definitely lean, but he has muscles and doesn't look skeletal or anything. His dad is fit-to-average, and his mom is naturally tall and very slim, so I think genetics has a lot to play. The standard charts to me seem to be guidelines or general parameters.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    A more healthy goal would be a body fat %, is guys under 20% or something.
  • Ckiers
    Ckiers Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree my guy is 6'4" and he is around 174lb and he is thin.....he is in the process of trying to gain atleast 10-15lbs lifting and drinking protein shakes
  • tngfordisney
    Options
    No. In high school I was in very good shape and I weighed in at 195. the guidlines say my high is 179. I don't ever remember weighing 179.
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Figure out your body fat percentage, and go for a weight based on that! There's a good calculator over here: http://www.thrivepersonalfitness.com/bodyfat-calculator/ Once you figure out what your current body fat % is, plug that and your current weight into this calculator, and then decide how lean you want to look at the end: http://www.thrivepersonalfitness.com/ideal-body-weight-calculator/ An "average" guy will have between 18 and 24% body fat; a "fit" guy will have between 14 and 17% body fat; and an athlete would have between 6 and 13% body fat. So choose your final destination, so to speak, and run the calculator--it'll tell you how much lean body mass (bones, muscle, vital organs) you currently have and, based on your desired outcome, how much fat you ought to lose. That's how I'm working my weight loss--to hell with BMI charts! :flowerforyou:
  • mstaser
    mstaser Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    A more healthy goal would be a body fat %, is guys under 20% or something.

Again thats another thing that changes from chart to chart. One says 20% is average while the next one says 20% is obese. I think a good fit average is 15%. That is for an active person.
  • mstaser
    mstaser Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Figure out your body fat percentage, and go for a weight based on that! There's a good calculator over here: http://www.thrivepersonalfitness.com/bodyfat-calculator/ Once you figure out what your current body fat % is, plug that and your current weight into this calculator, and then decide how lean you want to look at the end: http://www.thrivepersonalfitness.com/ideal-body-weight-calculator/ An "average" guy will have between 18 and 24% body fat; a "fit" guy will have between 14 and 17% body fat; and an athlete would have between 6 and 13% body fat. So choose your final destination, so to speak, and run the calculator--it'll tell you how much lean body mass (bones, muscle, vital organs) you currently have and, based on your desired outcome, how much fat you ought to lose. That's how I'm working my weight loss--to hell with BMI charts! :flowerforyou:

These are great. I just ran some numbers in them and feel much better about things. I need to get more confirmed measurements, but so far this is telling me that at 10% my ideal weight is 200 pounds. That is perfect and right where I had envisioned this whole quest from the beginning

But it will all change a lot when I get better numbers to enter.
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options

These are great. I just ran some numbers in them and feel much better about things. I need to get more confirmed measurements, but so far this is telling me that at 10% my ideal weight is 200 pounds. That is perfect and right where I had envisioned this whole quest from the beginning

But it will all change a lot when I get better numbers to enter.

Happy to help! Good luck!
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I love the links posted. My body fat works out to be 26% at the moment and I want it to be around 22% (I think) so It says I need to lose 8lbs of fat. I was thinking I had loads more to lose. People have been saying how good I look but psychologically I still see a fat person. Thanks :-)
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for my ideal body weight, but once I get there I'll re-evaluate and see if I want to lose a little more, gain a little back or work on my tonight.

I'm not sure how I'll look at my goal (120), but I want to focus on my BMI because for me it'll be my best gauge of health.
  • SlimSammy2012
    Options
    I'll know what "MY" ideal weight is when I feel it. No Jiggleing hiting bumps in the road...Feeling comfortable in clothes....Thinking I look good to the World...No Numbers for me but know I have to loose the poundage for my health....Most people tell me "you don't look that Heavey!" They are right, I always carried my weight well however my Health knows better!