Day Five Failures

Options
I'm looking for an a-ha moment or any sort of foodie advice that any of you may have! I always do so well the first five days of the week (Sunday through Thurs for me) with dieting, exercising, etc. By the time Thursday night comes around I want to eat everything in sight and crave all the things that are going to undo my hard work!

What are your go to methods for fighting off cravings or trucking through the hard days? It feels like I keep hitting a brick wall at the end of the week and I'd love some ideas to get past it!

Replies

• sharistime
    Options
    I've just been thinking the same thing and thought the least I could do is let you know you're not alone... not that that helps much. I have used a trick where I "punish" myself.... If I begin to consider grabbing that cookie, cracker or whatever I tell myself, No way!, for that thought you must drink 8 oz of water, right now!! A lot of times it curbs me for a while and all I can hope is that in the long run I eat less calories because of it. Some days, if I'm strong enough to do what I tell myself, (did I just say that?) I can drink a lot of water!! lol! Sounds crazy but I think it's crazy psych games like that that will get us through.
  • msamcoates
    msamcoates Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat and guess what today is Thursday!! ... Sigh .... I would say plan ahead, meals workouts etc ... At least thats what I plan to do this wekeend ... and I'm planning on cheating 1 day (Sat) and get back to regular scheduled programming come Sunday.

Best of Luck.
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    For me I find that is i don't have what i want then i find it builds up and then i end up having too much of a bad thing ... The way I see it is that as I have a sweet tooth (well probably about 26) then i still find i need it. And it is ok to have it but just minimise prob what you used to have ... It is not realistic to say you will never have chocolate again in your life or eat a biscuit every again because you will and that is ok. Just not the whole packet. When you try to cut out completely all you end up wanting is that thing. Its all psychological i reckon. You can try for example have a couple of squares of choc and a cup of tea. Savour the taste and be proud of the fact that you enjoyed it and that is enough.

Failing that if you really don't want to have it at all you might wanna try to replace if with something sweet but not as bad for you.
    If you have a savoury craving you could try baked spinach chips. I tried the other day and OMG it was amazing how it tasted just like potato chips. For sweet you could try a weight watchers hot chocolate or low fat ice cream but obviously again limit your portion.

Also don't beat yourself up too much if you give in to your cravings. Tomorrow is another day and you can start afresh and get back on the wagon. You didn't put on weight overnight and it won't come off that fast either. Give yourself a break but don't give up and start afresh. If you do have a cheat time scheduled then try to make it a meal not a whole day or else you can potentially updo a whole heap of good work.

Another option is workout all the other days and perhaps when you do have something you may have worked off a bit more before then. I guess you just need to find your own balance. i do this is i know i want a wine or two on the weekend. I might do something that day and plan ahead for the extra calories i will consume that night.

I hope that helped ... those things work for me. Good luck
  • Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    I had the very same thing! But it seems to have died away now. I think what I did was identified what it was that I was craving - I have about 26 sweet teeth too, but actually I find that seeing as I'm eating waaaaaay less chocolate now, I can taste the sugars in fruit a lot more. So instead of having chocolate I'll have a piece of fruit or something as a treat. If I want something fatty (friday night fish and chips used to be a regular!) I might have a teaspoon of good quality peanut butter as a treat. But I'll have those treats after I've eaten my healthy meal - less likely to have a second teaspoon of peanut butter if I'm already full from dinner.

Wine, though, is my archilles heel! So far it hasn't derailed my weightloss but that probably won't last!