What is better? Sports drink question

Options
HI everybody.

What is better for before, during and after exercise?

Powerade? Lucozade? Gaterade? Water? or another brand? I believe red bull makes you dehydrated, is this true?

Im doing an aerobathon in 3 weeks so could do with some hydration advice?

Replies

• Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    In this context, I would say the one with the most satisfying taste. Also, redbull doesn't dehydrate me.
  • topbombin
    topbombin Posts: 33
    Options
    Well yes. I must admit im not a great fan of some of the powerade flavours but if needs must. I like redbull but i heard because it has a high amount of caffeine in it , it can really dehydrate you body?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I like Amino Vital lemon flavor.
  • iLinduh
    iLinduh Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried coconut water? I've heard many people call it nature's Gatorade. It's also delicious if you like coconuts. However be careful when buying coconut water, some brands add a lot of sugar, so read the labels. :)
  • topbombin
    Options
    Have you ever tried coconut water? I've heard many people call it nature's Gatorade. It's also delicious if you like coconuts. However be careful when buying coconut water, some brands add a lot of sugar, so read the labels. :)

Never heard of that. Can you get it from supermarkets or is it a health shop thing?
  • topbombin
    Options
    I like Amino Vital lemon flavor.

Not heard of that one - is it like a powder you dissolve in water?
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    HI everybody.

What is better for before, during and after exercise?

Powerade? Lucozade? Gaterade? Water? or another brand? I believe red bull makes you dehydrated, is this true?

Im doing an aerobathon in 3 weeks so could do with some hydration advice?

I'd say neither. Grab some dry oats in a protein shake.
  • iLinduh
    iLinduh Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Never heard of that. Can you get it from supermarkets or is it a health shop thing?

You should be able to find it at a regular supermarket. I usually get mine at costco. They carry 2 brands there: Sun Tropics and Vitacoco, both are good.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking a bottle of water and a bottle of whatever sports drink you like the most.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Well yes. I must admit im not a great fan of some of the powerade flavours but if needs must. I like redbull but i heard because it has a high amount of caffeine in it , it can really dehydrate you body?

Caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — typically more than 600 milligrams a day. Redbull has only 80mg per serving.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    How long is the aerobathon?

If it's less than a couple of hours stick to plain old water, if you''re thinking of using a sports drink I'd suggest trying a variety of them ahead of the event as people don't all respond to them the same way ( Gatorade makes me thirstier, eLoad doesn't agree with me either, for my longer runs I'll usually use G2 but what works for me may not work for you)
  • topbombin
    Options
    How long is the aerobathon?

If it's less than a couple of hours stick to plain old water, if you''re thinking of using a sports drink I'd suggest trying a variety of them ahead of the event as people don't all respond to them the same way ( Gatorade makes me thirstier, eLoad doesn't agree with me either, for my longer runs I'll usually use G2 but what works for me may not work for you)

Its a five hour aerobathon. Ive tried lucozade for a two hour aerobathon and plenty of water but just wondered if there was a "best" one to have. It seems like the points of view are mixed tonight
  • topbombin
    Options
    I'm thinking a bottle of water and a bottle of whatever sports drink you like the most.
    [/quote

Thats what i do for a two hour event but 5 hours seems like i might need 1) a boost and 2) lots of replacements]
  • topbombin
    Options

You should be able to find it at a regular supermarket. I usually get mine at costco. They carry 2 brands there: Sun Tropics and Vitacoco, both are good.

Thanks for that - i'll see if i can locate them and give them a try
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Powerade in Mountain Berry keeps me going through some really intense classes!

I think I would be very sick if I even attempted to have red bull during exercise, isn't it really gassy or can you get the still variety?
    I love coconut but coconut water is disgusting to me. I really wanted to like it and was very disappointed when I didn't, because it sounds like a really good option.

I would alternate between water and whatever other sports drink you like the taste of. In my aerobic classes I keep the powerade for when I really flagging, or if I know there is a particularly tough track coming up. Good luck!