Geek girls - One to rule them all

Options

Replies

• Rubyinthesand2012
    Options

The series of novels is actually called "A Song of Ice and Fire". The first book, "A Game of Thrones", is what the TV show is based off of (it's OK, but the books are way more detailed). I'm on the third book (A Storm of Swords) and my hubby just recently bought me the most recent book (#5), "A Dance With Dragons". Can't wait to finish 3 & 4 and start 5 since 6 (The Winds of Winter) and 7 (A Dream of Spring) are on their way. True fans will understand how big this is since the last book to come out before #5 was in 2005!! Did I mention these books average between 800-1,000 pages each and come with their own maps and glossary so you can follow along?!?!

Sorry, geeking out a little!!! :tongue:

I just bought the first 3 cant wait to start reading them... i love the tv series
  • giselle9938
    giselle9938 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Not that I'm anti-geek or anything, but when did being a geek become cool?

Since the first season of Big Bang Theory? lol
  • Shenzi03
    Shenzi03 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If you like the show, you'll LOVE the novels!!!

[/quote] I just bought the first 3 cant wait to start reading them... i love the tv series
    [/quote]
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options

The series of novels is actually called "A Song of Ice and Fire". The first book, "A Game of Thrones", is what the TV show is based off of (it's OK, but the books are way more detailed). I'm on the third book (A Storm of Swords) and my hubby just recently bought me the most recent book (#5), "A Dance With Dragons". Can't wait to finish 3 & 4 and start 5 since 6 (The Winds of Winter) and 7 (A Dream of Spring) are on their way. True fans will understand how big this is since the last book to come out before #5 was in 2005!! Did I mention these books average between 800-1,000 pages each and come with their own maps and glossary so you can follow along?!?!

I just bought the first 3 cant wait to start reading them... i love the tv series

I got an autographed copy of A Dance of Dragons for Christmas. Martin lost me with book four, which I didn't realize had been split into two books. I was pissed that I had to read through an entire book of people I didn't give a crap about. That being said, book five was great. He returned to the stories of the characters I loved and some badass dragon action finally starts happening. I think the HBO series will work out a lot of the problems he had/has. I hope, hope, hope books six and seven are awesome. I get annoyed with fantasy writers who drag out a series until it's a zombified corpse that I don't care about any longer (*cough* Robert Jordan *cough*).

/nerd rant
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options

meh. As I've read somewhere before: The Big Bang Theory is a dumb show about smart people. Arrested Development is a smart show about dumb people.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Awesome! How about adding putting down trashy magazines and reading all the Game of Throne books instead.. ;)

Reading them now! FTW! But I don't really consider myself a geek. Although the other day when I was rocking my Wonder Woman Chucks and shirt, a guy said, "You must be a Comic Con girl." I was all, "Yeah, so what?" :laugh:

Or, if you want to read a magazine, you could read Heavy Metal instead.
    I used to read a magazine called Epic...much like Heavy Metal.
  • Shenzi03
    Options

I got an autographed copy of A Dance of Dragons for Christmas. Martin lost me with book four, which I didn't realize had been split into two books. I was pissed that I had to read through an entire book of people I didn't give a crap about. That being said, book five was great. He returned to the stories of the characters I loved and some badass dragon action finally starts happening. I think the HBO series will work out a lot of the problems he had/has. I hope, hope, hope books six and seven are awesome. I get annoyed with fantasy writers who drag out a series until it's a zombified corpse that I don't care about any longer (*cough* Robert Jordan *cough*).

/nerd rant

I'm married, but I think I love you!!!
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options

/nerd rant

I'm married, but I think I love you!!!

You can love me from afar!
  • Shenzi03
    Options

meh. As I've read somewhere before: The Big Bang Theory is a dumb show about smart people. Arrested Development is a smart show about dumb people.

LMAO! Never heard it described that way! I just added Arrested Development to my Netflix and restarted it from the pilot episode. I forgot how great that show was!!! It was taken off the air WAY too early. :cry:
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options

AD is a ridiculously smart show.
    I've seen every season so many times I can pretty much quote every line verbatim.
    Even still, I just can't get tired of it - I continue to laugh at all the jokes.
    What I love the most is that I still uncover something clever and new each time I watch.
    Big Bang Theory doesn't even come close.

Sincerely,
    Bob Loblaw
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Where do I find one :love: ? , I still need that seriously achievement on gears :grumble:
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options

LMAO! Never heard it described that way! I just added Arrested Development to my Netflix and restarted it from the pilot episode. I forgot how great that show was!!! It was taken off the air WAY too early. :cry:

Agreed on all points here!
  • Shenzi03
    Options

Agreed on all points here!

At least they're working on the movie...can't wait!!! :happy:
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Awesome! How about adding putting down trashy magazines and reading all the Game of Throne books instead.. ;)

I have/ read the first three books..
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Hodor, Hodor.

Hodor.
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I used to read a magazine called Epic...much like Heavy Metal.

Hmm, I haven't heard of it.. I'll have to check it out. I don't have a lot of the new mags, the oldest one I have is from 86' and then most are from the 90's to early 2000's. They were a gift from my awesome aunt.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    AD is a ridiculously smart show.
    I've seen every season so many times I can pretty much quote every line verbatim.
    Even still, I just can't get tired of it - I continue to laugh at all the jokes.
    What I love the most is that I still uncover something clever and new each time I watch.
    Big Bang Theory doesn't even come close.

Sincerely,
    Bob Loblaw

Same here :)
  • Vi0l33t
    Vi0l33t Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hodor, Hodor.

Hodor.

Rock!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

We've always been cool, because being cool means not giving a flying F what anyone else thinks.

It just took a long time before other people realized that we were cool.
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    iHEARTcardiacnurses Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    fyeah.jpg