Protein shakes

Options
fdlafon
fdlafon Posts: 259 Member
I've been experimenting with adding new things into my protein shakes, trying to find something that I just love. (banana, yogurt, etc).
I'm currently using the strawberry powder, mixing with 8 oz water, throwing in a few ice cubes, and blending.

I'm doing something wrong obviously, because I'm not 'digging' them all so much yet.

I am looking for something that makes it a little thicker, not as thick as a milkshake, but with 8 oz of water, it's just drab to me. But, I'm also trying to keep it under 350 calories as well.

Share with me what you put in your protein shakes . . . please.

Replies

• WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I use an unflavored protein powder, (less sugars and carbs)

Every workout day I take out 6 large frozen strawberries, and put them in a bowl in the fridge and go workout for an hour. When I'm done, I take the strawberries out, and put them in my ninja blender, they are still slightly frozen so they turn into a strawberry slushy like consistency, then in my blender bottle I put in 8oz of soy milk, protein powder and the strawberries and shake. The frozen strawberries help make the soy and protein powder really thick like a milkshake.

I have also added in a ½ cup of greek yogurt to make it thicker.

I would put the powder and water and ice into a blender to crush up the ice more.

Good Luck!
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I also like frozen fruit and find that it thickens it nicely. I usually use frozen bananas and/or berries.
  • MadusaCait
    MadusaCait Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I like to use the shake before and after my work outs.... so I make mine with chocolate isolate protein, oatmeal, a banana, some times coconut water but usually water, and cinnamon. It is awesome, and also makes a great breaky.
  • fdlafon
    Options

Every workout day I take out 6 large frozen strawberries, and put them in a bowl in the fridge and go workout for an hour. When I'm done, I take the strawberries out, and put them in my ninja blender, they are still slightly frozen so they turn into a strawberry slushy like consistency, then in my blender bottle I put in 8oz of soy milk, protein powder and the strawberries and shake. The frozen strawberries help make the soy and protein powder really thick like a milkshake.

I would put the powder and water and ice into a blender to crush up the ice more.

Good Luck!

What protein powder do you use that is unflavored?
    I bought the stuff from Walmart, because a coach at work suggested it.

I think I would really like it with milk. I will have to give it a try, and frozen fruit sounds yummy too.

Great suggestions - Thank you all!!!!
  • slara75
    slara75 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Good Luck!

What brand of unflavored protein powder do you use and where do you get it? Would love to put it in my smoothies!
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options

What protein powder do you use that is unflavored?
    I bought the stuff from Walmart, because a coach at work suggested it.

I think I would really like it with milk. I will have to give it a try, and frozen fruit sounds yummy too.

Great suggestions - Thank you all!!!!

I use NOW Foods Whey Protein Isolate, currently Drugstore.com has the best price ($62 for a 5# jug), Super Supplements (supersup.com) has sales every now and then, and I got a 5# jug for $38.

Unflavored lets me add in whatever I like (blueberries, rasberries etc), and I can add it to other things. The other day, I added a scoop to my tomato soup, stirred it really well, heated and had a nice protein packed lunch.

25g protein
    105 calories
    0.3g fat
    1g carbs
    1g sugar
    125mg calcium
    168mg potassium

oh, just don't add it to hot liquids, the powder will curdle, but other than that, it's superfine, and I've never had any mixing issues.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking one i just made. thats funny. lol. I used 2 scoops of vanilla whey protein, some fat free sugar free vanilla pudding, 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese, 1 cup of almond milk, banana and strawberries and a few ice cubes. Delicious!
  • tilfordj
    tilfordj Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    8 oz Unsweeted Almond Milk - 35 cal
    2 Scoops Naturade Total Soy - Chocolate - 140 cal
    1 Scoop FiberSmart - 25 cal
    1 banana - 105 cal
    2 Tbls Just Great Stuff Powdered Peanut Butter - 45 cal
    Add enough ice to your liking

Total - 350

OMG....it is like a frozen choc peanut butter banana piece of heaven

(I am lactose intolerant - so no dairy here)
  • rds532
    rds532 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I love this one and I swear it tastes really good:

1 scoop Market Pantry Vanilla Whey Protein (Target)
    1/2 cup frozen dark cherries
    1/2 frozen banana (or fresh)
    1 cup 1% milk
    dash of cinnamon
    few ice cubes

348 cal - I also want to try this with Chocolate protein powder & the cherries - that would be like a dessert!
  • gympamela
    gympamela Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I love shakes!! I make one with either vanilla or chocolate powder, a frozen peeled banana (consistency of this blended is amazing) and a scoop of natty PB with ice and water. blend it all up, it is SO good.
  • kaiteboo
    kaiteboo Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    If you want a thicker shake you could try using milk instead of water, yogurt, a frozen banana, and a few ice cubes to get a better consistency. This may sound weird but I have blended an avocado in to my shake before and it gives it a nice creamy texture like ice cream, and it doesn't have much taste to it! My favourite shake at the moment is a banana bread shake! You coudl probably use your strawberry flavour and it would still be pretty tasty....

Banana Bread Protein Shake

Ingredients:
    - 1 cup almond or soy milk (I used almond breeze vanilla)
    - 1/2 a medium banana
    - 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I used allmax isolate)
    - 1 tsp cinnamon
    - 1/4 tsp nutmeg
    - 1 tsp vanilla extract
    - 1/4 quick oats/oatmeal (this step is optional you don't have to add the oats but if you do you can cook these before hand if you wish, I prefer not though i like the texture of them raw)
    - add your favourite type of sweetner if you have a sweet tooth!

Throw all the ingredients in a blender with a few ice cubes and enjoy! :) I prefer to add the quick oats in after the rest of the shake is blended, I like to use a large straw so you can drink the flakes whole- adds a nice texture, and you can use a spoon to eat the remainder at the bottom of your shaker :)
  • Wouga
    Wouga Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My favorite smoothie/shake is 8oz of frozen blueberries (keep frozen), 1/4 cup milk, 1/2 scoop of vanilla protein powder, 1 Tbs of light/fat free cream cheese, about a cup of water (or if I don't mind the increase in calories and want some added nutrition I use coconut water) and 4 or 5 ice cubes. Blend all together and enjoy. To me it tastes like blueberry cheesecake, and it's thick which means it takes me a little longer to drink so I can fool myself into being full. ;)
  • fdlafon
    Options
    These are great sounding drinks - I can't wait to try some of them.

Thanks!