Weight Loss/Muscle Gain

Options
Okay, I need some serious fitness help. I'm a runner, but I've never really lifted or done much weight training. I know it's not possible to turn fat into muscle per say, but I am 5' 0.75' and 101.8 lbs. i have (and have always had) thicker legs, but up top I feel scrawny. I'd like to gain healthy weight in order to bulk up a little bit up top. What's the best way to do this?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Okay, I need some serious fitness help. I'm a runner, but I've never really lifted or done much weight training. I know it's not possible to turn fat into muscle per say, but I am 5' 0.75' and 101.8 lbs. i have (and have always had) thicker legs, but up top I feel scrawny. I'd like to gain healthy weight in order to bulk up a little bit up top. What's the best way to do this?
    Lift in reps of 8-12 with as much weight as you can handle for 3 to 4 sets. Stick to basics, bench press. pullups, bent over rows. barbell curls, close grip bench.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    What he said ^^. And of course, you will probably need to eat a bit more in order to gain muscle. If you're eating clean, unprocessed foods, your body will put it to good use :)
  • mrs_teiger
    Options
    Thank you so much! I feel like a goof in the gym not knowing what to do, so I'll definitely try these! :)
  • mrs_teiger
    Options
    What he said ^^. And of course, you will probably need to eat a bit more in order to gain muscle. If you're eating clean, unprocessed foods, your body will put it to good use :)

Thanks, Maggie! :) Would you suggest focusing on taking in just more protein, or more all around?
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I feel like a goof in the gym not knowing what to do, so I'll definitely try these! :)

Don't feel like a goof! Look up some of the exercises on YouTube, or just ask a trainer to watch your form. That's their job - and they should be happy to give you a few minutes of their time for free.

As for food - more protein is always a good thing, healthy fats are a good choice too. But definitely make sure protein is up esp if you start strength training more :) Good luck!
  • rbjcksn
    rbjcksn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    There are some really good routines for bulking on bodybuilding,com. Hope the mods don't mind me linking offsite. Here's a link to a good beginner's guide.

chin up's dead lifts and squats are great compound exercises too!
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/laura-bailey-fitness-360.html