running and nutrition

Options
Hey everybody...im a runner and the night before races I eat a good amount of pasta and bread so I will have extra energy in my races. On the days right before my races i eat more calories than what is needed to lose weight because i don't want to jeopardize my race. I have 2 races a week so I do this twice a week. However, does this mean I am jeopardizing my weight loss success?

Replies

• miss_september
    Options
    Hmm...I don't necessarily consider myself a runner, but I do run 5Ks and a couple of sprint triathlons during the summer. I wouldn't say I am at a truly competitive level, as I am still on my weight-loss, athletic-improvement journey, but I do compete against myself =-). Anyway, I too have a couple of "spike" days, as recommended by a nutritionist I spoke with, and so far what seems to make the biggest difference for my weight loss is an overall picture of the week. I don't know how far over calories you go, but some days I will go as high as 500 over when I know I am getting ready for a big workout, and by maintaining around what I need for the rest of the week (I try to eat back exercise calories, but don't always) I am usually able to stay more or less on track. I am happy if I lose 1 pound, even if I am set up to lose 2, but sometimes I end up losing 3 lbs one week, then 1 the next. So far I haven't had any negative effects. I just try to make my extra calories/carbs be nutritional (pasta or bread over sweets, that sort of thing). Not sure if that is helpful, but that is my experience so far.
  • janie4ever
    Options
    thanks for the advice...that was actually quite helpful and gave me some a different perspective :)