Bicycling Calories burned question

Options
So i just rode 10.8 miles on my bike. Half if not most was against the wind..... definitely a work-out. When I got home an calculated my speed and typed it into MFP, the site says I was riding at a leisurely pace. Let me tell you, there was nothing leisurely! I felt like I was hauling weights behind me most of the time. Is this correct as far as calories burned or should I be stating that I was riding a moderate pace?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    how fast ? how many calories ?
  • brooksbank2
    Options
    its a lot more complicated than that, this site will only give you a very basic calculation, it doesnt even take into consideration things like altitude climbs.
    If you have a smart phone then take a look at :
    http://runkeeper.com/home
    this will allow you to track your ride and give a more accurate idea of calories, although its still only fairly basic
  • eriemer
    eriemer Posts: 197
    Options
    That is why I don't bike or hop on the stationary one at the gym very often. I can be sweating, huffing, puffing, and legs burning for 20 min. Then it says I burned about 100 cal:noway: Are you kidding me??? So I'm killing myself for nothing. I think if I had a HRM I could figure out the real calorie count on this and feel better doing it.

Good news, if you track less calories then you burn and happen to eat them back you'll still be losing weight in the end.
  • bluetigger86
    Options
    That is why I don't bike or hop on the stationary one at the gym very often. I can be sweating, huffing, puffing, and legs burning for 20 min. Then it says I burned about 100 cal:noway: Are you kidding me??? So I'm killing myself for nothing. I think if I had a HRM I could figure out the real calorie count on this and feel better doing it.

Good news, if you track less calories then you burn and happen to eat them back you'll still be losing weight in the end.

good point.! Thanx for everyones input.