If you had 4 hours a day to work out, what would you do?

Options
My spring semester is ending the first week of May. My summer internship begins the first week of June. I work full time nights but without having to go to class I can devote 4 hours a day to the gym or some other physical activity. Problem? What should I do with that time? How can I best use it?
I plan to kayak, swim, play tennis and even do a 4 hour high ropes course this summer too. The gym I go to has everything you could think of. It has a pool, it has classes (water and land and spin), treadmill, elliptical, stair climb thing, bikes, row machines, weights (machine and free), entire area for ab's with machines, balls, weights etc., a circuit, a basketball court, racket ball...... TONS!!
I also have the wii (Zumba, wii fit), Kinect (boxing and some other game) DVD's such as walking, Braz. Butt Lift, insanity and various other things. I also have a treadmill at home, free weights up to 25lbs, bands and ankle weights.
Heres my question. How would you structure your workouts if you had all of this available to you and just about all the time you wanted?
*clearly my issue isnt about having things. Its about how to utilize what I have. HELP!?

**NOTE** I do have a shoulder and hip problem. My hip is less of an issue but my shoulder prevents many things. They have told me many different things and ran many tests. I've been on daily meds and have had several shots. Nothing helps my shoulder and its been an issue for years. Basically, consider it the worst bicep tendinitis when thinking about workout routines to do. My hip isnt usually an issue until I do plyometrics (insanity was painful) or ride a bike. But with stretching and caution I am better now.

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I would plan out a week's worth of workouts - including one long run (up to 2 hours) and a max of 1 hour scheduled exercise on the other days, with one day rest in there too.

Then I'd use the rest of the time to do fun stuff that incorporated some movement (like riding my bike to visit a friend, walking around an exhibition, going for a leisurely walk on the beach or kayaking slowly, playing at the pool etc).

I just don't think there is much point in doing TOO much strenous exercise every day - you are risking injury and burn out.
    But, getting lots more casual movement in there together with the planned exercise seems like a great way to have some fun.
  • dotido
    dotido Posts: 49
    Options
    I am in Japan for some time so walking with a camera :)
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    4 hours?? I'd probably do a good warm up, lifting, cardio, core work and a good stretch or yoga.

I can't even imagine having that kind of time to be honest. I love my Fridays because I don't have to rush so much, but even then my max is 2 hours.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    No reason to workout 4 hours a day. 1 should suffice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    What I would do: Work out for 1 hour, followed by a 3 hour nap.
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    Personally, I'd try to do something different every day for about two hours and use the other two hours to catch up on the things stressing me out (housework and bill-paying, anyone?!), just relax or even sleep if I felt like it! There is no way I could spend four hours a day working out - just not gonna happen in my world. YMMV, of course. :laugh:
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

this!
  • cuddlegrl
    cuddlegrl Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    1 hour workout then 3 hour nap- lol.

I don't typically have the time. It's only for a month. In June my internship starts in addition to my full time night shifts. The internship runs into the fall and I have fall classes. So it's literally my only spare time until Christmas. I know 4 hours seems like a lot but it's not uncommon for me when school is out (I do not have kids). I've spent 4 hours between cardio, swim classes and laps. I was looking for a better routine to kick things off, high intensity, for that month. Even though I have everything available to me, I seem to struggle in finding the best way to make it all work.
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options

Yup. This is what I would do.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    A good 4-hour mountain bike run or hike...definitely nothing indoors.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I'd work out for 1 hr then spend the other 3 catching up socially or with school work.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    sleep - oh wait, are we being honest or not?
  • eriemer
    eriemer Posts: 197
    Options
    I usually have about 2-3 hrs a day to workout, including travel and changing times. I just walk into the gym and head to whatever sparks my interest that day.

I do try to alternate days, more cardio one day, the next circuit train or weights. My typical workouts last 30-1 1/2 hrs of my free time. I've tried to structure my workouts but then I dread them. Lately I've gotten the urge to run on the treadmill (last time I did my ankles and hip hurt so bad I could hardly walk for 2 days) I might be running tonight just to get the run craving out. Stupid runners high, hope it's worth the pain.

Anyway sorry I was no help. I'd be swimming and doing swim areobics (I used to love them). Good luck.
  • Niagarasailor
    Niagarasailor Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Swimming! I used to spend all day in the pool when I was little. I want to swim more here in TX but am scared of sunburns as there is history in my family of melanoma. :( So swimming in a shaded pool would be lovely!
  • Niagarasailor
    Niagarasailor Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am in Japan for some time so walking with a camera :)
    What part of Japan? I lived in Hokkaido for a year... lovely country.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I'd spend it hiking in the mountains and wrestling grizzly bears.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I work for the school district so always have summer off. I do my strengthening every other day, I do cardio most every day, last year that was walking for an hour to an hour and half down our parkway, challenging myself with walking faster and further and more incline. This year it will be running, since I started running in January.I played tennis on most days, sometimes just by myself against the wall at school, 2 or 3 times a week with my husband. I also rode bikes on some days, and shot hoops on some days. Sundays the family usually did things that consisted of hiking and/or swimming. I'm planning on buying some roller blades to add for summer this year, not sure why but I have been wanting to roller blade lately. There are so many things you can do with more time to work out, without killing yourself.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Why would you ever put yourself through 4 hours of working out a day?

I was forced to do this in college when I was a swimmer and it was miserable.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I do P90X so I don't need the whole 4 hours. Once I'm done though I could use the spare time to do something else like get some work done or some reading :)
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend.