P90X Questions

Options
btm03
btm03 Posts: 38 Member
So I've started P90X twice before and never manage to get past 3 weeks. I want to start again on Monday....3x's a charm, right?!?! I've read through the nutrition and fitness book thorougly, but have a few questions for those of you who have done it before or who are currently doing it. Also, I'm always looking for support, so feel free to add me as a friend!

Questions:

1) How important is the recovery formula, protein bars, and protein powder? I can't really afford to buy any of these right now.

2) In the nutrition book, it always lists a bar and a drink as part of your snacks for the day. If I don't have these, can I replace them with something else or just go without?

3) Egg whites are listed as a protein option. Egg whites make me think of snot and I could not possibly get them down my throat if I tried. I read 2 egg whites=1 egg. Can I substitute a whole egg for 2 egg whites?

4) What about greek Chobani yogurt, can I have this instead of plain yogurt?

I appreciate anyone who can give me some answers. I would really like to get through P90X this time around!!

Replies

• btm03
    Options
    Bump!! :-)
  • enchantedbunny
    Options
    It depends on what you're trying to get out of P90X. I think many will tell you that it's not as effective without following the entire routine with the nutrition plan (including all the products you mentioned in Question 1). Personally, I've been picking and choosing the videos as part of my regular exercise and it has worked well enough for me.

I would think you could always replace a protein bar with an equally healthy, protein-rich snack. Apple slices and peanut butter maybe?

I think your 2 egg white for 1 whole egg is more of a recipe substitution. They recommend egg whites because it is a good source of lean protein, lean being the operative word. But I am of the belief that you should eat the whole egg to get all of the nutritional benefits of the egg, so if that's what you prefer, go for it. Otherwise, look for other sources of lean protein, like grilled chicken breast, canned tuna, etc. BTW - egg whites are only "snot-like" when they're raw. Cook them up and you have an awkwardly pale but otherwise tasty scramble. :)

Definitely can eat Greek yogurt in place of regular yogurt, and it can be one of your high-protein snacks above. Just watch for the fat content (although it's arguably "good fat").

Hope that helps!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I've been through it twice, and now I do a super modified version of it.

I never read the nutrition book. Not even once.

I bought the recovery formula, and I like it. I think it does you some good, however, do you NEED it? No. It's just nice. You could do the same thing by drinking a glass of chocolate milk.

The bars are a rip off. Don't bother. Just eat foods with protein. It's too bad you can't eat egg whites. Because they are packed with protein. But, just eat good wholesome food, watch your marcos, and go for it. It's just exercise, it's not the freaking bible of anything. It's just exercise. That's all it is.

You can do it.
  • kcfaber
    kcfaber Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I'm only three weeks in. I am not doing the drink or bars but I make sure I get my protein in with nonfat plain greek yogurt, grilled chicken, tuna, hard boiled eggs (sometimes whole sometimes just whites)etc. I am sticking with my existing macros 40/30/30 and making sure I hit those and stick to my calorie goal of 1800 (based on book). After really intense workouts I do try to have something with a 4:1 carb to protein ratio as I understand that is what the recovery drink is based on. I prefer lowfat chocolate milk. Cheap and readily available. feel like the plan is working so time will tell.
  • Lynvincible2012
    Lynvincible2012 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I started today, but have done my research and have a friend that did the 90 days. One thing I have learned is the nutrition side of p90X is a marketing ploy. The excercises alone got my friend the results he wanted, firm, lean muscle, weight loss and improved fitness, on a normal reduced calorie diet with lots of protein and plenty of water. I did Cardio X this evening and can tell the routines are gonna kick butt, but with regard to supplements etc, I think you're better off sticking to healthy, natural low fat foods and water, and none of the gimmicks. I dont want to build any obvious muscle so I will be doing Plyo-X and Cardio-X 3-4 times per week along with jogging on the other days! Good luck with it! :)
  • Myles_D23
    Myles_D23 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 12th week of p90x lean. 12 weeks 44lbs down. I was real strict though. No deep fried foods, no caffine, no alcohol and no pop. High protein and fiber. I suggest protein shakes and replace breads with whole wheat
  • btm03
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your thoughts and help on this! Exercise I can do...eating right is harder for me. I generally make decent choices for my meals, but I like to snack and usually on sweets! Diet will be the hardest part of P90X for me.