coaching calories?

Options
does anyone out there coach a sport & log their calories? there is a coaching option...but it says i burn 300 calories in 60 mins of coaching....I coach a master's swim team - so I do some walking around on deck & instructing but 300 cal seems like a ton of calories for only 60 mins?!?!!?!?!

should i just not log these? i don't include coaching in my normal daily activities since i only coach 2-3x/wk.....

please help/advise!

Replies

• omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't log this. 300 seems too high to me too.
  • caseyamber
    Options
    I don't log when I coach, I jsut log the actual workouts I am doing. I chalk the rest up to "bonus calories" :smile:
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    I agree. Don't log them. And btw, that's not accurate at all! I have a Polar heart rate monitor that I'm betting may say around 100 cals burned in 60 minutes tops! 300? No way! Not right.
    98575.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    I actually use the "coaching option" for when I have said sport practices lol.

edit: as in participant, not coach :tongue:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There are 3 components to determining daily calorie intake.

1. Resting metabolism: this is the number of calories it would take to keep you alive if you stayed in bed all day.

2. Activities of daily living: this is the energy cost of the incidental activity you do all day: casual walking, housework, whatever activity is involved in your job, low-intensity recreational activities, etc, etc.

3. Exercise calories: extra calories expended during an exercise workout.

#1 and #3 can be quantified (estimated) pretty specifically, even though the methods used to estimate these calories are only 80%-90% accurate at best.

#2 is the most varied--people's lifestyles, jobs, etc are different and our daily routines can vary as well. Tables, etc that attempt to estimate daily caloric needs set up groupings of typical activity levels--e.g. mostly sedentary for office workers, very active for jobs like construction work and rely on the individual to classify themselves accurately.

To me, in most cases, these types of activities--walking while coaching, wait staff, golf, walking the dog--fall into category #2 and should not be considered "exercise" calories. The only way I would consider adding them as "exercise" calories is if: a) you classified yourself in the lowest activity level (e.g. sedentary) when determining basic calorie needs and b) the activity occurs intermittently--once a week or so. Otherwise, you should be considering this activity within the overall context of your normal incidental activity and using it--along with everything else you do--to place yourself in the correct category, according to the *average* amount of incidental activity you do each day.