Soda detox..??

Options
Ok so im a huge addict to sugary drinks especially soda. Since I decided to change my eating habits I quit soda and anything like it water and the occasional MIO is all I drink. Could I be having my headaches because my body misses the soda and such..?

Replies

• laminy83
    laminy83 Posts: 16
    Options
    If you drank caffinated soda, then thats prolly the reason. I have a cple of friends who get really bad headaches if they dont get up and have their caffine first thing in the morning.
  • xPOOKiEx
    xPOOKiEx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yes. Your body is so used to the sugars and caffeine. I would taper off of it...lol
  • Wouga
    Wouga Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Most likely the headaches are from caffeine withdrawal. They're a bear to get through but after about a week or so of no caffeine you should be feeling better and your body will thank you for it. Good luck!
  • michellematteson
    Options
    It could be the cutting off the caffine in the soda that is causing headaches more than the soda itself. I would recommend weaning yourself off of it to avoid that issue but it sounds like you went cold turkey, so now it will be just a matter of waiting a few days to let them go away. If you start craving a carbonated drink I recommend sparkling water with Mio... it's yummy.
  • mpaoce
    mpaoce Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes. Unless you were drinking caffeine free soda you could be going through caffeine withdrawal. Stick it out though, you'll feel so much better once you don't drink that stuff anymore. I gave up diet soda myself so I'm speaking as someone who has been through it. Best of luck!
  • purple_jelly_bean
    Options
    Man I haven't felt rhis horrible in a while.. My husband says I should have some but I dont wanna sabotage the work im putting into it.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I had a serious of detox sessions using soda. To be honest, it feels a bit uncomfortable when they run the soda into your colonic area, but is quite refreshing when they are done.
  • rachaela06
    rachaela06 Posts: 167
    Options
    That is most likely the reason for your headaches. I recently went through the same thing. I wasn't a big soda drinker, but cut out all the added sugar stuff from my diet. I had a constant headache for about three days, the good news is that it does go away. All I drink now is water. If I want that fizzy feeling from soda I have a sparkling water with some fruit in it. Good luck.
  • Panda_Path
    Panda_Path Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I just went through this. Your body isn't missing it, please don't have that perspective. Your body is healing from the damage it temporarily does to you, specifically soda with caffeine.

Headache is indicative of caffeine withdrawal. Caffeine causes a 40% drop in blood flow to the brain. It blocks adenosine, which controls blood flow to the brain and constricts blood vessels as blood flow is reduced. So when you don't have caffeine, the arteries and veins in your head are trying to pump normal quantity of blood in narrower vessels. When you skip a day of caffeine after having it for a while, the blood "surges" so it is even more pronounced.

I learned that from this video:

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/caffeines-effects-human-brain-interacts-blood-flow-lisa-stark-health-16141081
  • purple_jelly_bean
    Options
    And yes I went cold turkey. I was great at drinking a 2 liter a day..
  • Panda_Path
    Panda_Path Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Man I haven't felt rhis horrible in a while.. My husband says I should have some but I dont wanna sabotage the work im putting into it.

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went through caffeine/pop withdrawal last week and the weekend, and one day I felt so terrible I was about to give in. Just don't, I didn't and the next day I was all better. Stay strong! Maybe have some tea if you want some caffeine.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    lack of caffeine = headaches. it will get better, just hang in there. Sometimes it is better to "ween" yourself off of it. Maybe drink a little coffee or tea to get a small caffeine fix
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    Options
    Absolutly.
    I was raised on soda, the dark, sugarly soda loaded in caffeine. One day I stopped drinking it cold turkey and I defiantely had withdrawls.. Headaches, and everything. Once I figured out it was from dropping soda I tried finding something to help wiene myself off the caffiene.

I Bascially, started drinking coffee after that. Coffee is not the best for you but I would drink a cup here or there if the withdrawls got too bad. Haha, I have a coffee thing now but once I got completly off soda, I was so happy and I dropped a ton of weight :smile:

When i want something frizzy like soda though, I go for those flavored waters. I think the wild cherry ones tast like diet cherry coke :smile:

The longer you go without it, the easier it becomes. I can honestly say now I do not want soda, and frankly probably would get really sick if I were to cave a have one.
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY!!!

The first week that I started MFP I cut sodas completely and just drank water, HUGE change considering I WAS drinking at least 5 regular sodas a day. I had headaches everyday for a week due to withdrawal..it was ROUGH, but SO worth it!!!
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    i gave up everything but water..didn't have trouble giving up cokes and stuff, But coffee wasn't so easy. my headaches were so bad i actually had to lie down a few times, and tylenol wouldn't even touch it. Decided to have a small cup of coffee daily..it keeps me from getting headaches.
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    sodas like pepsi 1 and pepsi max have the caffeine but are much lower in cals. you could try having just one of those a day for a while and see if it helps.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    When did you give it up? Took my headaches about two weeks to pass. If it's really bad, try something else that has caffeine in it. Or take Excedrin - which contains caffeine.
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I was having them for nearly a month after giving up soda. It is really tough to get through. I did like some suggested here. On the really bad days, I just took some migraine medication which includes caffeine.
  • purple_jelly_bean
    Options
    When did you give it up? Took my headaches about two weeks to pass. If it's really bad, try something else that has caffeine in it. Or take Excedrin - which contains caffeine.

I started mfp about 3Weeks ago at first I was still having some. I started to see in my food logging I wasn't eating much trying to make room for it. So this week I just stopped and eat more food and have loads of water instead.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Replace it with methadone.