shin splints

Options
so i recently started walking about 3 miles a night at about 3.5 miles an hour, and my shins are absolutely killing me. suggestions please!! last night i wore cheap tennis shoes and tonight i wore shape ups and i am stretching before and after

Replies

• hunterjumper642
    hunterjumper642 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    bump...i want to know this too, i have very bad ones.
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Same issue for me. I don't have the issue walking anymore. I can walk 4 miles with no shin splint issues. It is usually back issues for that. However, I just started my second week of c25k, and my shins are just killing me during the running cycles.
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Your shoes are probably a big factor....rest your shins, stretch and ice....and get good shoes.
  • IcePrincesss
    Options
    I had the same problem last year. It also has to do with jarring impact of any sort from what I can gather. I now spend more time on the elliptical trainer at the gym and the problem has completely gone away. They are obviously still there because I feel it straight away on the treadmill but it means I can train without pain....You will need to change what you are doing and see if that makes a difference because it was you are doing that has probably caused it. Good luck with it, let us know how you go.
  • melissam926
    Options
    I used to get them when I first started running. I upped my potassium and it seems to have taken care of it. Plus some good shoes!
  • Amberetta82
    Amberetta82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I never stretch before I go running. When I get home after my runs I will ice my legs and then massage them. I recently learned that I overpronate so I really need to get good shoes with support. I've heard that your shoes can make all the difference in the world. I also learned that I need to correct my form and stride while I run. Think about investing in good shoes and visit a running store!!
  • nikrit84
    nikrit84 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I had them horribly bad when I started jogging 3 miles a day. I took as much advice as possible, and can not tell what it was that helped because I tried everything lol. Shin splints are the worse! Bananas, Magnesium & Calcium Supplements, Iced them after jogging, and stretching before during and after. They have pretty much gone away and if they show up during a workout, I stretch them and then they go away.
  • nikrit84
    nikrit84 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Oh and also invested in a good pair of running shoes and bought the insoles as well.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I switched to Vibram Five Fingers. I wore good running shoes before (Saucony) but my shins (and ankles and knees) would be burning in couple minutes. I've gotten some blisters from my Vibrams (you need to condition your feet) but never any pain from my shins/knees/ankles. I went for a 7 mile cross country hike in them and nothing hurt during the hike and I wasn't sore the next day. I did have multi-layer blisters though. Really. Just follow the instructions and let your feet toughen up slowly and you'll be fine. Once I developed calluses I haven't had a problem. They're the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. A little strange-looking, but I'll take strange over shin splints any day.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Get rid of those shape ups and find yourself a good pair of shoes that work for you! Best way is to go to a local running store. They will fit you for free and find you a shoe that will be the best for your foot for walking. Also, keep stretching those calves and if you can, try a foam roller. Also, hot yoga has really helped me with any lower leg pains I have had through my marathon training. Good luck!
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I have had this issue ever sense I was a teenager that is why I never really did much of anything but walking. Now I have lost weight and I am on the road to recovery in my book I get new shoes every so many months I ice when needed I take my restore at bedtime and I feel like a new person by morning. But I would start with your shoes. Good luck to you.
  • k80mac
    k80mac Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    shoes and stretching. roll your calves and stretch 'em good. I also got compression sleeves for my ankles/calves that seemed to help while I working through them. I'm now up to 4 miles but I stretch religiously and got new shoes..
  • alikat42
    alikat42 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Ice! So much ice! Then... more ice
  • traciyoung
    Options
    you just have to keep going...it gets better, Advil was my best friend for awhile!
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I just saw this article yesterday: http://gizmodo.com/5902699/banish-shin-splints-forever-with-one-magical-exercise

The exercise they suggest is pretty easy and probably worth a try.
  • soccerchey1
    Options
    More than likely it's the shoes. I always go to a running specialty store (Bob Ronker's) and they test my arch, see how I run, and actually know what they're doing so I get the right type of shoe for me. Keep in mind this may be more expensive right now but it saves a lot of money from not having to go to a doctor for shin splints, stress fracture, reaction, etc. Also, when icing my trainer tells me 20 minutes on 40 minutes off. Repeat as long/often as you need it. Don't be like my friend though, who fell asleep while icing and woke up with frost bite on a large part of her shins.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend used to have this problem a lot too when we started. Now we are a lot more disciplined about stretching before going for walks/runs, and it is no longer a problem.

Something to consider maybe: She was having problems pretty much only when trying to walk at the same pace as I do. This lead her to take bigger strides, and that is apparently linked to shin splints. I have no sources to cite though, I am pretty much repeating what she read and applied to make it go away.

Good luck!
  • gussde
    gussde Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Your shoes are probably a big factor....rest your shins, stretch and ice....and get good shoes.

Prob the best advice! I just got back on the treadmill after being off it after hip problem and now my shins are on fire. I did 30 min of just walking fast (4.0 speed) and it hurt bad but a day later it is getting better. So ice and stretch and I would also use a good pair of shoes rather than the shape ups. The pain will go away, you body just has to get use to it. Good luck!
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I had the same problem.

I think a combination of solutions worked, new shoes with new orthodic supports and time. By time I mean getting used to the walking altogether. For the first month I always had shin splints even with the new runners and orthodics but daily it gradually lessened more and more to the point it never happens now.

Good job on the walking and good luck in your journey!
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I coach soccer and there are always one or two girls that get these every year. Take some dixie cups and fill them with water, and freeze them. You should be icing them throughout the day. Dixie cups make it easier to ice them as you can rub them up and down your shin where they hurt the most. The absolute best thing for shin splits is REST. However if you are determined to try and push through it they do sell Shin Splint Sleeve. You can google them and see what they look like. There are also some great stretches that you can get off the net for them. Good luck. Hope I helped.