Running ?

Options
I got a treadmill back in late January and worked my way up to being able to run about 3.5 miles. Started "running" at 4.5 and worked my way up (speed-wise) from there. My best 5K time was 36:28 (that's where my sweaty profile pic came from). Now that the weather is so nice, I've been trying to run outside and it's like starting all over again. I have yet to make the full half mile loop around the park without walking...it's annoying. I keep hearing how much easier it is to run outside, but I just ain't feeling it yet.

I've been thinking though, it was really hard for me to make it past the 5 minute/10 minute/1 mile/ect. marks on the treadmill...and it took just pushing past fear (or laziness? LOL) to finally do it...head games, if you will...

You think this transition is just another head game?

Replies

• KF1216
    KF1216 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've always heard the opposite , that it's harder to run outside. You'll get the hang of it !
  • aprilgraciete
    aprilgraciete Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem when I run outside. I have been doing so well on the treadmill and then suck when I am outside. It has scared me away from signing up for a 5k. I'd love to hear what people have to say about this.
  • cargal62
    cargal62 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It is MUCH easier to run on a treadmill. I can run 3 miles straight on the treadmill, but outside is a whole different animal, curbs, inclines, declines, weather, traffic, dogs, etc. Yup, you gotta start slow just like a new exercise! Good luck.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    First of all - GREAT job getting up to that on the treadmill!!

It actually can be a lot harder to run outside since you have to provide the movement forward, not the treadmill, plus you have to be more aware of where you put your feet, the curbs, cracks, rocks, etc etc.

Try slowing down a little outside until you can get back up to the same distance, then work on your speed again.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem when I run outside. I have been doing so well on the treadmill and then suck when I am outside. It has scared me away from signing up for a 5k. I'd love to hear what people have to say about this.

I know. There's several 5K's coming up that I really want to be a part of, but I don't want to sign up if I can't finish them. I know walking is always an option, but I kinda feel past that by now. KWIM?
  • Joneses17
    Joneses17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I do think it's in your head but it's also more difficult. The treadmill propels you and unless you run with at least an incline of 1 then it's similar to running slightly down hill. The treadmill is a great start but you will see that outside you are dealing with the elements, inclines, harder ground and so on. I run on a treadmill because I like to gym setting but in the past I've also run around a track to mix it up. I def need to start doing this again. If running outside is what you want to do I"m sure you will accomplish it.
  • sevencallmemom
    Options
    Thanks guys! I don't feel like such a loser now. LOL

I also think I need to stop trying to run alongside my husband. Our strides are just very different and it just throws us both off I think. I gotta tackle this on my own.
  • marbly
    marbly Posts: 103
    Options

I also think I need to stop trying to run alongside my husband. Our strides are just very different and it just throws us both off I think. I gotta tackle this on my own.

Hey, you can still run alone but together IYKWIM. I do that with my husband. He runs at a steady but slower pace and I sprint and walk so we both go out and come back at the same time but we run alone. It's really nice to have company even though we're both panting and not talking and are apart most of the time.
  • sevencallmemom
    Options

Hey, you can still run alone but together IYKWIM. I do that with my husband. He runs at a steady but slower pace and I sprint and walk so we both go out and come back at the same time but we run alone. It's really nice to have company even though we're both panting and not talking and are apart most of the time.

Yep, that sounds like a good plan. I just liked having him right beside me...but it's not like there's much in the way of conversation happening during our runs anyways. LOL
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I must be weird...i'm almost done with week 7 of c25k...the other day I decided to try just a mile on the treadmill to see how my time was and it felt like a total chore. I thought it was awful. SO hard! Running outside seems much easier to me.
  • alarae
    alarae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I had this same problem. It will get easier! I think part of it is the hills and you might have to learn to pace yourself. I found myself running much faster without the treadmill which made me tired faster. Good luck!
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    i think those that say running outside is easier is referring to there being scenery so ur not watching a clock, running on a treadmill can be redundant kinda like running laps repetitively running around a circle ya know. running outside is harder because theres nothing "helping" you run like a treadmill and the ground isnt flat. u also may be running faster than u think you are. so really pace urself. run and then walk for like 30 seconds or so a run again. you'll get better at it. i enjoy running outside because of the scenery for the most part. what keeps me going is trying to beat my last run time each time i go.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I think jogging on a treadmill is physically easier, but jogging outside is waaaay mentally easier at this point (I've been walking/jogging for several months). It took a while to get to where I enjoyed it, though, because it was more difficult and I had a hard time transitioning. I vote try it for a bit and see if you don't get better (I'm sure you will) :)

Try signing up for a 5K for motivation!! Worse comes to worst you walk part of it - so what? You'll have finished!! You're lapping all the people on the couch :)

Also, make sure you stay hydrated out there!
  • zombiemusicgirl
    zombiemusicgirl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Running outside is physiologically harder, but mentally a lot better. For me, anyway. Don't worry though - you should start to snowball in progress with mileage. I love the Hal Higdon plans, but I am a guideline and structure kinda gal.

If you run with a smartphone (I always do) there are some really great apps. Nike+ rocks, and I use Zombies, Run! They are both like video games to keep you motivated while running.

Congrats on outdoor running - it'll be even more addictive than you know!
  • amrem83
    amrem83 Posts: 4
    Options
    You are probably running faster outside than you ever have inside. If possible find a way to track your speed. If you have a smart phone of any kind there are a lot of apps out there that track how fast you are going. Otherwise figure out how far a half mile or mile is outside and see how long it takes you to run it. It is REALLY hard to judge how fast you are running outside.

I did the opposite...I started outside and absolutely hate the "Dreadmill". A lot of it is in my head, but I do run faster outside than inside. Inside a 12-12:30 minute mile is normal for me. Outside I run a 10:30-11 minute mile. In my case the longer 5 k time on a treadmill drives me crazy, but I just can't keep up that kind of speed inside. And once I hit half an hour of running I'm pretty much shot, whether inside or outside.

I just started running in February...so I'm far from an expert :)
  • MizKittyKat
    MizKittyKat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I hate running on a treadmill. Doing it outside is much harder for sure as what others have said. the weather can make a difference too on how well you perform. running on an uphill or downhill requires you to change your pace and just maneuver around ppl that are walking so its much more challenging in that sense. I find running outside is more relaxing because you actually have a distance that you are trying to go. Treadmills on the other hand is running endlessly on the same spot. Just start gradually and you will be fine
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Personally running on a treadmill is boring as bat ****, I feel like a hamster in wheel. Saying that I do run a treadmill regularly and that is because I am soft and don't like running when it is minus 1 Celsius and below outside.

When I first started running I also began on a treadmill, however I moved to the road once I knew I could do 5km without stopping. The thing about the road as people have mentioned is that there are a lot more variables as in inclines, different road surfaces and my favorite head winds. All this does make you a stronger runner even though your speed drops your stamina and strength increases.

Find a distraction when road running, I listening to either music or books. What also helps me is to find markers to help pace myself for example; running form stop light to stop light or knowing how long it takes you to do a km and then knowing how long you have left to run. Also experiment with times of day to run. I hate afternoon running and struggle the whole way, where in the morning I can go and go.

All the best
  • sevencallmemom
    Options
    Seriously great insight and advice here...thanks so much, guys!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Yep, that sounds like a good plan. I just liked having him right beside me...but it's not like there's much in the way of conversation happening during our runs anyways. LOL

The issue is that you don't have a device to pace you when you are running outside and you are going faster than you do on the treadmill. This statement displays this, because when you are running easy, it should be at a pace where you can carry on a conversation with another person. Slow down to a conversational pace and I'm sure you'll find you can run just as long outside as inside.

Good luck!
  • sevencallmemom
    Options

The issue is that you don't have a device to pace you when you are running outside and you are going faster than you do on the treadmill. This statement displays this, because when you are running easy, it should be at a pace where you can carry on a conversation with another person. Slow down to a conversational pace and I'm sure you'll find you can run just as long outside as inside.

Good luck!

Good point! Thanks!