Running Blisters help please!

Options
I've been running for a year now, and for some reason during the summer I have a horrible time with blisters! I don't actually wear anything different in the winter, same shoes, same double technical wiking socks.

Band-aids come off, mole skin comes off, athletic tape comes off.

The blisters are on the ball of my foot, on the outside of the side with the big toe. Both feet. I also have have callouses there so I'm guessing they're my major points of impact? But I've been fitted with proper running shoes. I'm out of ideas. Thoughts?

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Buy a can of spray antiperspirant (or a bottle of roll-on Certain-Dri). Apply it to your feet at night before you go to bed. It will help prevent your feet from sweating so much (I'm guessing this is at least part of your problem since you say it is worse in the summer).

I learned that trick from my brother, who learned it in the Marine Corps. I find it really does help.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Buy a can of spray antiperspirant (or a bottle of roll-on Certain-Dri). Apply it to your feet at night before you go to bed. It will help prevent your feet from sweating so much (I'm guessing this is at least part of your problem since you say it is worse in the summer).

I learned that trick from my brother, who learned it in the Marine Corps. I find it really does help.

Thanks! I've never heard of that but it could really make a difference!
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Those double-layer socks GAVE me blisters. Smartwool has always been good for me, though in recent years their quality seems to not be as good. I am probably going to try other merino socks.

Are you sure your shoes are the right size? I think the sorts of blisters you're getting can be caused by shoes that are too big or too wide.

BlisterShield sock powder by 2Toms is good stuff, too. I use it anytime I'm running over 10 miles.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I only wear super-thin socks while running, because too much sockage means more rubbage, heat, and blisters. Have you tried running with thinner socks?

And ditto the anti-perspirant solution. Someone suggested it for Vibrams for the smell, so I imagine it would work wonders in normal shoes with socks. I haven't needed it, because I haven't had an issue with it, but a lot of people have said that it does great things with too much sweat.
  • Barbellsandthimbles
    Barbellsandthimbles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I always got blisters too thanks to sweaty feet. The blisters stopped once I started wearing drymax socks. I tried a ton of other wicking socks to no avail, but these socks are extremely thin and don't rub!
  • papergirl22
    papergirl22 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    There's also a product called Body Glide that comes in a deodorant looking stick form....it's meant for chafing, you just rub it on anywhere you get a hot spot...ideal for feet, inner thighs, anywhere that fabrics rub and cause blisters or irritation.
  • ClassicPearl
    ClassicPearl Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Here's another idea in case anybody needs another, haha! I use "Healthy Feet". My gosh, my feet, at the bottom, looked awful until I started using it. Now, it's like baby feet. Ah :)