Best Shoes for walking?

Options
I went for a super walk the other day outside instead of on the treadmill. However in no time my feet hurt and the next day my calves hurt so bad I could barely walk! I thought I had decent shoes but I realize the are not for outdoor hills etc.
Do you guys have any recommendations for me? WHATS YOUR SHOE?

Replies

• sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I like Asics. They got me through a half-marathon with no pain at all.
  • bunnzye2
    bunnzye2 Posts: 56
    Options
    I have gotten hooked on MBT sneakers. Literally. If I try to walk in another pair, I can't finish the walk. If I wear another pair someplace else where I will do a little walking, I hurt. They are ugly but man they have sure helped me get back on the sidewalk. There has been talk of them contributing to knee pain, I dont know about that. People get knee pain who dont wear MBT.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I went to a shoe store that specializes in fitting athletes based on their stride. Don't just buy a shoe. Everyone has a shoe that fits them and everyone's walk/run/stride/scenario is different. If you walk into a shoe store and they don't have you walk/run in your shoes to see how they personally fit you, get out of the store, honestly. I wear Asics and have been pleased, but, again, it was because they were customized to MY personal stride and not some salesman telling me "these are awesome..." Just make sure you look at getting something right for you. :-)
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I wear Asics, too. If you walk a lot, it is a good idea to look at running sneakers. They can handle all the miles and the impact. If you have a "Fleet Feet" or similar store in your area that can do an analysis for your foot, all the better.
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    Our doctor suggested New Balance years ago, and we like them. Plus i think they are still made in USA, which is an added plus.
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Well said Skeebee. It has nothing to do with the brand - but a match between your foot and the shoe.

Use a local running specialty store - even if you walk, bring your old shoe so they can see how they are worn because they will fit your shoe accordingly.

Also, make sure they have a decent return policy.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    New Balance.:smile:
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about you but I know that if I work out on the treadmill I use different muscles and work harder than when I'm outside walking. Maybe you did the opposite? Was the terrain different than your treadmill? Sometimes just a bit of difference can work different muscles. It may have nothing to do with your shoes. If you already need shoes, I'd go to a running store and get fitted for them and make sure you have 1/2 headspace above your toes. Also, if you continue to have problems you should see a Podiatrist. I had to get orthotics because my feet were killing me and now that I have them, I rarely have foot pain. I went from barely being able to walk when I got out of bed to walking/hiking up to 7 miles with no problem now. I feel like I should send the Dr. a thank you note. I just might do that. lol
    Good luck to you and I hope you solve your problem!
  • slazuka
    slazuka Posts: 4
    Options
    I walk a lot. I have been a fit bit user for 3 years and am new to MFP as of last week. I walk 11 to 13 miles daily, every day. I've always been a New Balance guy but this year I purchased some Skechers Shape-ups Rendition model 91180 from Famous Footwear for $49 (they say they list for $120). These are "rocker" type shoes and I never thought I'd wear them. I saw a post on the Fitbit site raving about them so I tried a pair. Since then I bought 3 more pair. I gave one pair to my son. I love these. Great fit, very comfortable and well built. My posture is definitively better since wearing them. Note that LesaDave mentioned that New Balance are made in the USA. Be aware that only some models are. I think about 25% are made in America. Better than none!
  • reynolds33
    reynolds33 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I recommend that you go to a good running store and have them fit you based on a number of criteria including size, weight, cushioning vs stability, and pronation, just to name a few. Buy the shoe they recommend. Use it for a few days and bring it back if you don't like it. A good running store will allow it. Pay the premium for the first pair at the running store and then buy it online for less or ask the running store to match the online price for future purchases. Good luck.
  • Rhonda8165
    Rhonda8165 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I bought my first pair of Brooks PureFlow shoes last December and they are the best feeling workout shoes I have ever purchased. I walk on my job all day on a concrete floor, and for a while, the top of my left foot would be sore at the end of the day. After I started wearing the Brooks shoes, that stopped, so I attribute that to the shoes. Now that it's time to buy more shoes, and I've always been a faithful patron to Nike in the past, I don't think i can give up on the Brooks since they have really been so positive for me. I'm in this same pair for 4 months now and they still feel great.

Give them a try, I don't think you'll be disappointed.