Calories burned for pushing stroller possibly wrong?

Options
I'm confused about the exercise database. Does it seem right that walking brisk burns more calories than pushing a stroller? The only thing I can think of is that it's based on pushing a stroller very slowly. It's over 100 calories difference. I'm not sure which one to use. I walk pushing my 30# 2yr. old and I'm way more out of breath than if I was walking alone. I know the calories burned on here can be way off but I was just wondering what everyone else thought. I might need to break down and purchase a HRM so I can be more accurate even though they are expensive.

Replies

• Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    that will help also you can go online and put in calories burned pushing a stroller and it might come up I found a lot of activities on line that I didnt think would be on there
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    If you want to estimate just take your heart rate at a regular interval during your walk with the stroller. The heart rate monitor is more precise because it takes measurements all the time, but you can still estimate the effort with duration, weight, age, etc... using the same formula the HRM does.

http://www.calories-calculator.net/Calories_Burned_By_Heart_Rate.html

This could give you an idea before you buy your HRM :)
  • Mom2PAK
    Mom2PAK Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I never even thought to check other websites or take my heart rate myself!