Is this normal??

Options
Tonight was my first time at the gym and even though I only did the treadmill for 20 minutes varying speeds of 2.7-3.5mph.. after I got off I was really overcome and dizzy and my heart was racing.. I had to sit down in fear that I would fall down! Kinda scared me a little! Is this normal for beginners??

Replies

• verdammtwenig
    Options
    If you're starting from a nearly sedentary lifestyle, I feel like it's going to be a little tough at first. But as long as you keep moving it will get easier.
  • graebnerkm15
    graebnerkm15 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Did you drink enough water? I know that if I don't drink enough water I get all out of sorts and my body gets angry with me. Make sure to listen to your body and if 20 minutes was too much, then slow it down a bit. Everyone has to start somewhere, nobody ever just jumped on the treadmill and ran for an hour on their first day.
  • mclaughlin709
    mclaughlin709 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I should add that yes, I was pretty much sedentary up until this week!
  • verdammtwenig
    Options
    I agree with the water thing.

Also, if you're restricting your calories hard core, that can cause dizziness, etc. as well.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    [N]obody ever just jumped on the treadmill and ran for an hour on their first day.

I don't think I've ever run for anywhere near an hour on a treadmill. It's too boring.
  • OCGeoff
    OCGeoff Posts: 10
    Options
    Yes- I can remember the first time on the treadmill and felt very similar. I'd suggest starting with a lower speed and just building up minutes over some time, before speeding up. The heart racing probably tells you that you exerted yourself too hard, too fast... For me, I stayed at 2.5 mph for a few sessions until I could go for about 30 minutes without feeling overly winded, then added more speed gradually. Clearly, discuss with your doctor any stressful heart-related pains immediately... Hang in there, it gets better.
  • mclaughlin709
    mclaughlin709 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Anyone else go through this??
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Your heart is supposed to race - that's the idea. Feeling dizzy, however, is not a good thing. Apart from anything else you dont want to fall off the treadmill. So if you feel dizzy you should stop. If you feel dizzy after you stop it's maybe because your body thinks you're still moving, so more a balance thing.

Biggest mistake of beginners is too much too soon. Forget the no pain no gain mantra. That's very old-school. For now - get your heart rate up a three times a week for 30 minutes.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    This used to happen when I would run on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning, back when I was in high school. My dad (marathoner) said to have some OJ before I run-- calories, sugar, and water all in one. It did the trick. Milk would work too, sugar, protien, fat, water.