how to avoid unhealthy food

Options
hey everyone! i was just wondering if anyone has advice on ways to avoid overeating and eating unhealthy food. i have a huge sweet tooth and its been really hard for me to get through a day without giving in. so whether its advice on calorie intake or a mantra to say to myself feel free to give some advice! post are appreciated :)

Replies

• mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem too.

I have found that not bringing anything bad into the house helps. I also have found that logging my day before it starts keeps me on track :smile:
  • NGMama
    NGMama Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of fruit.
  • turbogirl01
    Options
    I do that - log things before I eat them..Even if you do it one meal at a time, it makes you say no to an extra few bites or getting a second plate. And I'm not gonna lie...I keep one or two little dark chocolates in my purse sometimes. If I really really want something sweet, that will keep me satisfied, as opposed to getting an entire candy bar or bag of m&m's from a vending machine or something like that.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    See if certain foods cause you to binge and cut them out of your diet. For me its soda and candy, if I don't eat them everything else is easy. I haven't had either in 3 months before I couldn't go three meals. The first two weeks were harder but then everything fell into place.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    try freezing mango cubes. it's a sweet frozen dessert that could almost be candy like.
    it is really hard, and sometimes i try to find a healthier version to make of something.
    any maybe once a week you could allow yourself to have something junky as motivation.
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    don't keep it around. And know this - the first day without it is really difficult, the second day isn't so bad, and usually by the third day, I'm not craving it anymore, so I just stay away to keep from having to start all over.

When it's not in the house, I might snack on celery with hummus or rice cakes or something, but it gets me back into the mind set that eating is for fuel and not for fun (except some times :) and I don't over do it. Also, night time is the worst for me, and if it's not in the house, I'm usually too tired or lazy to go out and get some, so that helps.

I tell myself throughout the day "it's about changing my lifestyle" - each good choice that you conciously make leads you closer to making good choices naturally - and it's true! it works :) Good luck!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    hey everyone! i was just wondering if anyone has advice on ways to avoid overeating and eating unhealthy food. i have a huge sweet tooth and its been really hard for me to get through a day without giving in. so whether its advice on calorie intake or a mantra to say to myself feel free to give some advice! post are appreciated :)

well, to start, the only unhealthy food is one eaten in excess.

for some, the way to avoid overeating is to cut it out. I think for the majority of people, that just delays an eventual binge. so moderation is really the key.
  • raqueljoliemassoud
    Options
    that sounds awesome!!
  • Sera890
    Sera890 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I would second the fruit option, but when you really want chocolate or pie, an apple just doesn't do it for you... lol

Snackwells makes protein snack bars that are awesome and I think they're only 120 calories a bar. But they fill you up and they're very rich so it takes care of the chocolate craving. There are also 100 calorie snack packs that have brownies and cookies in them.

One thing that really helps is to pay attention when you're eating. A lot of times, if you snack while watching TV or checking your FB, you'll snack more because you're not paying attention. So, focus on your snack, then go back to your mundane activity so you aren't just mindlessly stuffing food into your mouth. It's helped me a lot.
  • LiveforChange
    LiveforChange Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Dont have it around your house snack on fruits what i eat to feel full are blue diamonds whole natural almonds :)
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem too.

I have found that not bringing anything bad into the house helps. I also have found that logging my day before it starts keeps me on track :smile:

I do this, too. I am not actually ever tempted to buy bad food, but if my bf brings it into the house and there is no healthy alternative, I will most likely indulge. As long as I always have a healthy alternative, I will usually makes the healthy choice. So I keep my refrigerator stocked with veggies and such. I also make sure that I bring plenty of healthy food to work, that way I won't get hungry and just eat what's available.

Can I pack my lunch I am able to log what I'm going to eat ahead of time.
  • peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Totally agree about the dark chocolate- all it takes is one square (I love Lindt!!) and I'm good, but so help me, if I eat a Reeses cup or something like that I am doomed. I also stay away from simple carbs and make sure that I get plenty of protein and fiber in my meals- that keeps me full and keeps cravings at bay. Aleia's makes these amazing gluten free macaroons that are like 30 calories each and have just enough sugar to kill the sweet tooth but not make me crazy looking for more- they are expensive, but a bag lasts forever and they are so tasty! Sugar free jello is junk, I know, but I will eat that sometimes if I feel like I Must Have a Treat. Mostly though, once I started eating really well and avoiding refined/processed carbs and sugar, the cravings just went away after a few miserable days. It is so, so worth it. The weight fell off as well and now I am happily maintaining. Good luck!
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate is great! You don't have to completely cut out "unhealthy food" (unless you are super weak to it, then I would avoid it at first), everything in moderation. To make sure I don't over eat, I measure out everything according to the portion serving size. Can get a little tedious at times, but it ensures I am eat only a certain amount of calories. And I log everything, so at the end of the day, if I have some cals left, I may treat myself to something extra yummy. It's helps keep me positive about the whole process too. If I had to completely give up snacking on something sweet here and there, I would go crazy :P
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i avoid most but sometimes i dont. it isnt how you eat it is how the moderation you consider...
  • DeziD
    DeziD Posts: 8
    Options
    I second that. For me, thinking about cutting something out forever sets me up for failure with a sense of "lack." Instead, I am now on the track of becoming more conscious about my choices, and allowing anything I want -- in balance. I find the Fitness Pal tracker allows me to get immediate feedback about my choices, and consciously choose the healthier foods that I can maximize in quantity and fiber, so I feel full and satisfied. At the end of the day, if I have some calories left over, because I'm satisfied and not really craving anything, I can indulge with a sweet without the need to overdo it. So far, it's working very nicely.
  • NiLo4598
    NiLo4598 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Bump