What happens to the loose skin once you lose weight?

Options
I need to lose 110 lbs. I can't help but think I will probably have some loose skin hanging. What happens to that skin? Do you have to have it surgically removed? Will it tighten on it's own? Do you need to exercise to tighten it? Is there anyway to prevent it from happening?

Replies

• AZMOM875
    AZMOM875 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am wondering about my flying squirrel arms too. I have lost 26 so far, and i have done it slowly. I am not seeing any wrinkles or flabby excess skin, but I had the flying squirrel arms before I started to lose weight. I have been lifting small weights to tone up.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    No one can predict that for you, it depends on the person.
  • nicholebean
    nicholebean Posts: 160
    Options
    I have personally lost over 110lbs and I do not have too much loose skin. My arms have tightened up a lot since I have started to do more weights and my abdomen is slowly doing the same. My abdomen is more of my problem area, but if you look at my pictures it really isnt that bad at all. Although, I do agree it does depend on your own body. Since, everyones body is so different.
  • underthecherrytree
    underthecherrytree Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I have personally lost over 110lbs and I do not have too much loose skin. My arms have tightened up a lot since I have started to do more weights and my abdomen is slowly doing the same. My abdomen is more of my problem area, but if you look at my pictures it really isnt that bad at all. Although, I do agree it does depend on your own body. Since, everyones body is so different.

Thank you
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    No one can predict that for you, it depends on the person.

This ^

However, to improve your odds of NOT having loose skin at the end of your weight loss do these things:

Eat a high protein diet
    Do weight lifting/resistance training
    Drink tons of water
    Take a multi-vitamin
    Try not lose more than 1% body weight per week consistently.

Age/genetics/fat distribution all play a role in it.

I have lost about 30 inches from my waist and I have but just a little of loose skin that I am working on trying to get rid of without surgery.