Lower Abs

Options
So when I do lower ab workouts (like leg lifts), I always have to support my back by putting my hands near/under my butt. If I don't my lower back arches off the ground and it's kind of uncomfortable. Is this normal or am I doing it wrong?

Replies

• mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    So when I do lower ab workouts (like leg lifts), I always have to support my back by putting my hands near/under my butt. If I don't my lower back arches off the ground and it's kind of uncomfortable. Is this normal or am I doing it wrong?

I think that's an appropriate modification. Certainly, I've seen it illustrated many times. It is possible your back is arching more because your hamstrings are currently tight. Try doing some hamstring stretches during your stretching routine.
  • proof
    proof Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You should try and keep your lower back on the ground as long as possible. Try tilting your pelvis up, so that your back is completely flush with the ground, you shouldn't be able to get your hands between your back and the floor, and try to maintain this contact as long as possible as you lower your legs, this keeps your abs engaged. Putting your hands under your bum is totally fine if you aren't strong enough to do this (but bum not lower back). Lower your legs only until your lower back breaks contact with the floor, then bring them back up. With practice you should be able to get all the way down without breaking contact.
  • KTomko2013
    KTomko2013 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    you could do captains chair leg raises that would hit the lower abs without having the issues your facing lying on the ground, after a while you can start doing hanging leg raises, personally on the ground I prefer my hands behind my head it keeps my back straight and makes my abs work harder without the leverage of having hands under you