HRM vs. FitBit

Options
I'm on a limited budget right now and I'm looking at a single item to add for primarily calorie burning and heart rate tracking. I have a serious aversion to cardio that doesn't involve looking stupid in front of the XBox (hello, Dance Central!) but I also do strength training at a gym. So, should I lean towards an HRM or a FitBit (or something else)? Any recommendations on something that won't break the bank but will be reasonably accurate (and not fall apart after a few uses?

I have an Android phone, so anything that works with that is a bonus.

Thanks!!

Replies

• davitalynette
    davitalynette Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bump! I would like to hear suggestions as well....
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'd get an HRM, one with a chest strap. Check for apps on Play Store that you find interesting to check for wireless compatibility.

I have searched around quite a lot and asked opinions to friends on MFP with HRM, and most pointed towards Polar HRMs so far, whether they use one and they like it, or use another brand and wish they got a Polar instead. I am getting mine only at the end of May, so I don't know yet.

The FitBit seems to be quite useless in comparison. It counts things that you don't really want to count (like walking around/sitting at works calories) and doesn't have enough features it seems when it comes to actual workouts.

Good luck!
  • Iskreemman
    Iskreemman Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just bought and love the FT7 from Polar for $75 at amazon. I use if for running and lifting at the gym and it does a great job and the chest strap will automatically link with most newer cardio machines.
  • lindamac101
    Options
    HRM polar f4 with a chest strap, paid about $65 with free shipping, I love mine.
  • Raina27
    Raina27 Posts: 133
    Options
    I just bought and love the FT7 from Polar for $75 at amazon. I use if for running and lifting at the gym and it does a great job and the chest strap will automatically link with most newer cardio machines.

Ha! I was wondering that... since I didnt have my hands on the HR sensors!! Good to know!! :D
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I would get a heart rate monitor. I have both, and the Fitbit is fun and provides some monitoring especially since I'm recovering from an injury and can't be active. But for an active person who is going to the gym and has access to treadmills, ellipticals, bikes or who may want to run outdoors, you will get more bang for your buck from a HRM. It's important to know how hard you're working during exercise. If you do interval work, it's even important.

I have a low-level Polar with a chest strap. I suggest getting something simple like that. If you like it, you can always get a more sophisticated model later on.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Walking is my primary cardio, I'm not up to jogging yet. The fit bit is perfect for that, but not really for anything else. Don't get me wrong I love it I've walked 150 miles since I bought it. For me it is highly motivational. It motivated me to walk for 45 minutes tonight because I didn't want a day under 10,000 for the day. So it works for me.

I have a Heart Rate strap that I never use, so really it comes down to what motivates you.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you really want.

Personally, I don't trust HRMs for accuracy, nor do I really trust the FitBit. I spent a lot of time considering them but they didn't meet the needs I was looking to fulfill.

I went with the BodyMedia Fit Link. Why? Because it monitors at a study proven 90% rate for your entire day. You wear it all day long, and it measures your personal burns, activity, steps, and determines quality of sleep. It gives you goals based on YOUR numbers after you wear it for a few days.
    The problem with the other two is that though you might be able to put in age, weight, height, etc etc, they still base their calculations on the average rate of burn for those statistics. The BodyMedia/BodyBugg device monitors all day and "learns" your average day, and bases your calorie goals on that. It calculates on what happens with YOU, not what happens with the average.

Things I've learned through wearing it... I sleep rougher than I thought I did. I burn less than what MFP calculates as my BMR, but more than the calculated TDEE. I figured out that for what I do every day, I was still undereating. The Fit Link syncs with a smart phone, so you don't have to wear a watch, and gives you a by the minute burn, deficit, and step count.

It *is* more expensive, but I swear, I don't regret any penny spent... Not on the device, nor the subscription fee. I was plateaued, and within 2 weeks of using it, dropped almost 5 pounds and continued logging a little over a pound every few days.

That being said, if you only want a general idea of your exercise burn, the HRM will do that, but I worry about their accuracy for so many reasons... blood pressure, heart rate, positioning... it all can change what that device reports back. You can't wear it all day, and not all models give you a chance to measure your RHR, which is vital to measuring the exertion you have during the work out.

To add: The phone app for Android works very smoothly with my device, and gives you a way to monitor work outs specifically so you know what is "extra". I love being able to set it to an open work out and see my calories, steps, and activity intensity in real time.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    All have their own pluses and minuses....I will add this.

#1 - HR Monitor is going to be more exact than either of the others.
    #2 - Several people have worn both BMF/BodyBugg and Fitbit.....In every case I have seen the fitbit has been about as accurate as the BMF/bbugg.....Sometimes lower....but not higher (although step count has been).

Personally, I don't trust HRMs for accuracy, nor do I really trust the FitBit. I spent a lot of time considering them but they didn't meet the needs I was looking to fulfill.

I went with the BodyMedia Fit Link. Why? Because it monitors at a study proven 90% rate for your entire day.
  • Ireshgurl
    Ireshgurl Posts: 559
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and absolutely love it. It's pretty much the basic model of the Polars and very easy to use. And it does exactly what you're wanting. It cost me @ $70 with shipping. The only issue I have is it's not waterproof. My next one will be waterproof so I can take it in the pool with me. Totally get a HRM.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you really want.

The problem with the other two is that though you might be able to put in age, weight, height, etc etc, they still base their calculations on the average rate of burn for those statistics.

I recommended a HRM for accuracy in determining heart rate, which I believe is directly measured. I never rely on it or any other device for calorie estimation. There are too many variables.
  • xoFlo
    xoFlo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    FYI PolarF4 does go in the pool and the product manual supports that. It says don't press the buttons in the water. I've used it the pool about 6 times. Unless the chest strap is REALLY tight, though, it loses the heart beat.
  • LoriInIowa
    LoriInIowa Posts: 113
    Options
    I just got the Polar 7....I really like it. It's easy to use and is a handy (not-too-expensive) addition to your fitness plan!
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I actually got my FitBit first. This was because I was in much the same situation as you sound. I had very little desire to do cardio and needed to start somewhere. I'll be honest and tell you that I was very skeptical about the FitBit when DW first mentioned getting one, because I didn't really think that it would do anything. Boy was I wrong. Within a week of getting my FitBit it showed me that I was actually not as active as I had thought. That got me moving. FitBit also has what it calls "Badges" that are basically achievements for doing certain things, some badges are daily goals and others are lifetime achievements. That more than anything got me going at first because I am a gamer--not only that, but I am a completionist gamer. In case you aren't familiar with that term, it means I spend hours and hours on a game trying to discover every secret, unlock every achievement, follow every sidequest, etc..

I also want to mention a misconception that I read someone writing earlier in the thread: He stated that the FitBit measures activities like sitting/laying/etc. it actually does not. When you set up your FitBit profile, it figures out your BMR and then every five minutes, it updates your Calories burned for the day. This means that it will give you a fairly accurate idea of your TDEE if all you do is walk/run/sit/sleep. It does have a harder time tracking some cardio exercises and anything that you are doing with your upper body, but that is where a HRM comes into play. Now, the integration with MFP is really where the FitBit excels, IMHO. Every time MFP syncs with FitBit, it updates your exercise Calories based on both your MFP activity level AND your actual (FitBit-recorded) activity.

I have since gotten a HRM (a Polar FT-40) and have started doing Power 90. During which I use my HRM, but my FitBit stays on me day and night. The only time it comes off is when I am showering (I put it on to charge at that point) or when DW and I are, erm, doing our taxes...

The bottom line is that I love my FitBit and I think that it more than anything has helped me to get motivated to do stuff. I love my HRM as well, but I love it because it gives me accurate data and helps MFP to motivate me. The HRM by itself isn't a huge motivator. I cannot recommend the FitBit as a first purchase more. Hope this helps.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    Thank you all so much! Looks like I have some research and comparisons to do now-- I didn't even realize how many products were available.
  • marcf2001
    marcf2001 Posts: 110
    Options
    My primary exercise is walking.
    I have a Fitbit and it is very easy to use, keeping it all day long.

Using a HRM (I used to use a Polar while running with a cardio watch) is more constraining.
    Fitbit does not track gym exercises or treadmills, but these can be declared as exercises or Fitbit can be linked with another site that is tracking them. I am not using any of those.
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    My primary exercise is walking.
    I have a Fitbit and it is very easy to use, keeping it all day long.

Using a HRM (I used to use a Polar while running with a cardio watch) is more constraining.
    Fitbit does not track gym exercises or treadmills, but these can be declared as exercises or Fitbit can be linked with another site that is tracking them. I am not using any of those.

FitBit will read a treadmill steps/runs with no problem.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    The fit bit is great, but if you aren't into doing a bunch of cardio, and want to see what you are burning for calories while lifting then the polars are a better way to go.
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit and Bodybugg. If I had to chose one, it would be the BodyBugg.

I don't have an HRM, so I'm not certain of this, but I would imagine you would wear it only during formal exercise. The Bodybugg and Fitbit are designed to wear all day to get your total calorie burn for the day. Right now, I am 100% focused on calorie deficit. I don't care how I burn calories...cleaning the basement, gardening, walking around the mall or formal exercise.

Fitbit Pros
    Syncs with MFP
    Awesome FREE website
    Small and hardly noticeable

Fitbit Cons
    Records steps/flights of stairs while I am driving
    Knows motion, but not exertion, so for activities like lifting, it would understate your calorie burn

BodyBugg Pro
    It knows exertion ---a big deal

BodyBugg Con
    Terrible Website that you have to pay for
  • samuraidoctor
    samuraidoctor Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have used a Jawbone Up, a Fitbit, and a heart rate monitor. I find that the Fitbit can work great for just walking, and it will monitor your sleep as well, if you're interested in that. I work off a Mac, so I sometimes have to reset to get it to sync properly, and I'm really annoyed that I can't get it to sync to my iphone, but need an actual computer to plug the base station in to. That being said, it is otherwise a pretty good product.

What it doesn't do well is monitor the following exercises I am also engaged in: exercycling, bicycling, karate, kobudo, and Zumba, due to the relative lack of steps to calories burned, and the use of the upper body in these activities. I also find it overestimates just how fit I am and underestimates my calorie burn when I'm running. It's great for calculating extraneous calories burned when running around stores and visiting NYC.

I have a Garmin chest strap that I've used with my Oregon on my bicycle. Haven't figured out how to get the calorie burn from it yet. Mostly, I've been using a Timex Ironman triathlon HRM that I got on Amazon. It's done a fine job and watch is stylin', or at least more stylin' than the polar watches. What I would recommend is getting a HRM with a soft chest strap, because the harder plastic can chafe the soft bits that hang around in the area you put your strap on.

If you get a digifit for your Iphone, you can use the Digifit app with your HRM as well. I have just checked this evening, and you can dual record on dgifit and your regular HRM, which is a hoot. Most of the chest straps use the same ANT+ protocol and will work with multiple products.

If you are only going to get one and don't care to count calories shopping, I'd get the HRM.