Ideal weight

Options
It's funny how people have different weight loss goals or a target weight. I've been chubby all my life and my lowest weight as an adult was around 140 lbs. I am now at 190 lbs and would LOVE to be back at 140 and would be VERY HAPPY at 160 lbs. But I see a lot of people with my height 5'4" that are aiming for like 120 lbs. My 13 year old daughter weighs 120 and she is SKINNY (5'2")!. I also have seen pics of current weight loss in progress at 185 lbs who look great. So I guess a lot has to do with you body structure and just personal preference. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Replies

• Monkina
    Monkina Posts: 7
    Options
    My mother has such fine bones that she looks good at and under 120 at 5' 8". I got my dad's bones, so I'm currently aiming to get below 140 at 5' 6". I hovered around 145, for the longest time. Then I crept up to 160. Over 160, clothes don't fit right and I get irritated with my "muffin top."
    I don't understand most people wanting such low weights. Unless they have my mother's bird bones, they run the risk of looking sickly! I saw a photo of myself from the end of high school. I was around 125 and looked ill. (Of course, I'm sure I felt fat, just like so many teenaged girls!) Judging from your profile photo, you would look awesome at 160!
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I am 5 2 and I wanna reach 120-130... 130 would be great, but if I can reach 120s would be amazing!
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I absolutely see what you mean. I'm 190 and aiming to be 150 or 160 -ish. I'm roughly 5'8 and to me, 150 sounds like a good goal to have, but I read things by people who are 5'8 and want to be like 120.
    It makes me wonder if I'm aiming too low (or too high in this case) with my weight loss.
  • ambivalence11
    ambivalence11 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am 165 (started at 210) and 5'7. My goal is 145, but really I just want to be a size 8 or less and toned. The number on the scale is only a guideline. I just want my thunder thighs to stop jiggling when I walk! :P When those 3 things happen I will consider my goal weight met.
  • gooiyw
    gooiyw Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4.5" and I'm aiming for about 120lbs, not to be skinny (I want to be toned! :bigsmile: ), but more to lose that mommy pouch I've had since I've had my kids. Currently at 130lbs and that pouch is slightly smaller but still there :grumble: . I've read on the forums that the belly is the last to go, and to work on losing the weight in the meantime. So that's why I set my goal weight the way I set it. :flowerforyou:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm with you - I'm 5'4" and currently around 72kg (about 156 pounds) and only feel that I need to lose another couple of kg and I'll be quite happy with my weight. I can't imagine losing anothr 15kg (30ish pounds), I think I'd look terrible!
    So, I think it's personal preference and different body shapes. And the fact that media constantly feeds us images of unrealistically thin (often airbrushed) celebrities, so its really hard to know what is a healthy size/look any more.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    One thing of concern to me has been those whose goal weights are at least at the bottom end of their BMI. Truth be known, a lot of time the BMI is not the best measure. I think in the end, it is really about fat to lean ratio. I think any site like this can be an enabler for those with eating disorders to somehow "validate" their goals even though they may not be healthy. My healthy weight range is 148-200 lbs... I have been 170 in my adult life and was "skinny as a rail", wearing a size 34 pants at 6' 3". I have seen pictures of individuals who had an athletic build at my height who looked great at 225 (25 lbs overweight)... That being said, if they were to lose 25 lbs, they are either going to lose muscle mass or organ tissue... I have seen photos of women (in particular -- no offense), who are near the bottom of their IBW range and look like a skeleton with skin.... complaining they cannot get the scales to move (down)... Comments? All were how to lose weight.. Hello... She plateaued for a reason... Her body is literally fighting off starvation... No, weight loss is not what she needs at this point... I mentioned women... men would be the same way except our hang ups are usually in other areas... (kdeaux1959 jumps off soapbox...)
  • tiffanic83
    Options
    Everyone's body is different. Personally I am big boned and have always had a lot of muscle and am 5'8. A lot of people might think my goal is high but I want to be around 200 lbs. I remember being very young and 5'4 and about 130 and now that I am older I think I would be great at about a size 14. But some people see that as large and I don't. I have a friend who is 5'7 and thinks 150 is too heavy, but she looks amazing. It all depends on where you're comfortable, but I wish more people would accept themselves as beautiful. All these people who posted being like 130 or 150 in my mind don't even need to lose weight.
  • kurenaikumo
    kurenaikumo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My "normal" weight (and what I'm trying to get back to) is about 100-105, size 2-4 dress. People say "OMFG Anorexia!!!" when they see that, but when you're 5'1" and extremely small boned (the OBGYN told me the size of an average 14 year old), what works for the average normal height/size adult is out the window! Wearing a size 8, at my height, you're in the "overweight" on the BMI scale, while a normal height adult would be perfectly healthy/thin!
  • chnkytim42
    chnkytim42 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    im 5;11 and 300 pounds. i want to get down to 200, think any less and my frame would make me look sickly. plus i want to get ripped from here tim.jpg

BACK TO
    tim12-2.jpg
    THEN TO
    Vin-Diesel-Shirtless.jpg
  • egordon81
    egordon81 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10", currently 280lbs. I actually just met with my doctor today. She asked what my goal weight was and I am aiming for 175. She said that because I am tall, big boned, and have good muscle tone, a more manageable goal would be 200-220. Besides the fact that I can't even remember being 220... I am planning to stay on track for the 175, but also listen to my body and see how I feel when I get into that range.
  • candidglances
    candidglances Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My "normal" weight (and what I'm trying to get back to) is about 100-105, size 2-4 dress. People say "OMFG Anorexia!!!" when they see that, but when you're 5'1" and extremely small boned (the OBGYN told me the size of an average 14 year old), what works for the average normal height/size adult is out the window! Wearing a size 8, at my height, you're in the "overweight" on the BMI scale, while a normal height adult would be perfectly healthy/thin!

You and I have about the same weight goals in mind! i'm also quite small boned and i'm 4ft 11" so getting to 105 is really about my target rate. Before kids I was at 98lbs and i was happy at that range. I feel a little sad listening to the Wii yelling at me telling me i'm overweight on the BMI scale.

I definitely would love to get back down to 105 from 127, and if i got back down to 100 i'd be happy too and then maybe i'd be able to fit in some of my old clothes again. :D
  • sweetpea7441
    sweetpea7441 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 3 and want to be 124 to 127lb, now I'm thinking that I will still be fat reading how everyone is taller and wants to be thinner... But I just can't picture myself less then that.
  • kurenaikumo
    kurenaikumo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I definitely would love to get back down to 105 from 127, and if i got back down to 100 i'd be happy too and then maybe i'd be able to fit in some of my old clothes again. :D

Same. I've got some really nice jeans just sitting in my drawer that I was wearing just a year ago! Urgh, I get frustrated at myself for letting it get so out of hand!
  • Teapotdomescam
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and right now just looking to maintain my current weight of 120. I think my highest weight of all time was about 140 or something like that. it was in high school and I was probably about two inches shorter at the time but now I am working very hard to stay healthy. That's my main focus for now.