Confused- interval training v more calories burnt

Hi hope someone can help- when I go to the gym I use the treadmill (amongst other things of course). Now, I constantly read that interval training burns fat and helps weight loss better than steady continuous cardio. Yet I also read that the more calories you burn the more weight you lose. I presume it must be to do with the type of calories you are burning but don't want to reduce my calorie burn level by changing to intervals unless this is correct.
For example- I walk for say 2mins at around 6.4kph, jog for 15 mins at say 7.6-8kph, walk for 2 mins at 6.5kph then walk at 6.6kph on a maximum incline for about 20 mins. This burns me about 700-750 calories.
Last night I tried interval training for the first 25 mins but it seemed to burn fewer calories and I resorted to the last 15mins fast walk on maximum incline to increase no of cals burnt.

Will i lose more weight and fat by doing short burst intervals on the treadmill and burn fewer calories or continue doing as I was, burning more calories and just increasing speed or incline every few workouts to keep the exercise fresh?
Many thanks for any help. :-)

Replies

• Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    This is an interesting question. I hope someone answers it, because I'd like to know, too! :smile:
  • paruls86
    paruls86 Posts: 188 Member
    what i think is that when you do interval training it increases your endurance and strenght along with burning fat refer this article. my personal experience says that though you need cardio but interval training tops all...
    go through the articles below...

http://jap.physiology.org/content/102/4/1439.abstract
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/03/fashion/03Fitness.html?_r=1
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    someone better could probably explain it but the basic understanding about HIIT (high intensity interval training), is the afterburn. Your body burns more calories AFTER youve stopped working out. With aerobic exercises (with oxygen), the fat/calories are only being burnt while you exercise, once you stop, the fat burning stops (not quite this simple but its the jist of it). with anaerobic respiration (without oxygen/hiit) calories are being burnt 24-48 hours after youve stopped exercising. So you get the same calorie burn, but in half the time.
  • cimonroe
    cimonroe Posts: 36
    Interval training is better because it helps you develop/maintain muscle and increase the number of calories you burn when you are in between workouts. Have you seen long distance runners? They have no muscle mass! If you look at your decathletes and sprinters--they look much better (low body fat and tone) because they incorporate more weight training and interval training in their regimens. In the long term you will burn more calories and lose more fat overall because of your increased metabolism at rest and more muscle mass you carry and you won't have to suffer a longer workout at the same boring pace..unless you like that stuff..then youre lucky.
  • franturn
    franturn Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks everyone, impressed at the speedy responses!! I have just been reading more articles and there really does seem to be completely mixed opinions. It seems that the gist of HIT is all down to not the number of cals you burn dying training but those you burn afterwards but would love more opinions on this. Clearly fewer calories would get recorded on my fitness pal but that obviously doesn't matter, it's what your body actually does that counts. Interested to see more posts on this. But thanks to everyone posting so far :-)
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Well, HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) has been associated with improved fat burn because it keeps your metabolism in "higher gear" for longer after your workout.

In fact, except if you burn more calories than your BMR each day, the greatest burn calorie burn you experience all day is not from your workout. It is from just... living. Now, when you workout, you put your body through stress, a wide variety of reactions happen to make this possible. Those reactions don't stop right when you finish your workout. Now the studies on the subject show that this lasting effect of workouts is lasting longer with interval training. That's good. Part of the whole "work smart".

So yeah, it's a lot harder to register on MFP, but it's really great for VO2max and cardio improvement :)
    Good luck with your training! :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    so i did a test when i first got my HRM because i kept hearing how you burn some insane amount of calories doing HIIT.
    during a non hiit cardio session, i burn something like 400-500 calories per hour.

during the sprint HIIT session (18 minutes including cool down) i only burned about 300 calories. that was the end of my workout. i kept my HRM on for the next 40 minutes and by then i was up to 800 calories.

not bad for less than 18 minutes worth of work, but those were 18 minutes of HELL

i'm kind of addicted to hiit now, but unfortunately it's not something you can do every day if you're doing it right. especially if you're lifting weights too
  • deedog007
    deedog007 Posts: 89 Member
    thanks for the insight. and real testing.. i am convinced!!!

so i did a test when i first got my HRM because i kept hearing how you burn some insane amount of calories doing HIIT.
    during a non hiit cardio session, i burn something like 400-500 calories per hour.

during the sprint HIIT session (18 minutes including cool down) i only burned about 300 calories. that was the end of my workout. i kept my HRM on for the next 40 minutes and by then i was up to 800 calories.

not bad for less than 18 minutes worth of work, but those were 18 minutes of HELL

i'm kind of addicted to hiit now, but unfortunately it's not something you can do every day if you're doing it right. especially if you're lifting weights too
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    someone better could probably explain it but the basic understanding about HIIT (high intensity interval training), is the afterburn. Your body burns more calories AFTER youve stopped working out. With aerobic exercises (with oxygen), the fat/calories are only being burnt while you exercise, once you stop, the fat burning stops (not quite this simple but its the jist of it). with anaerobic respiration (without oxygen/hiit) calories are being burnt 24-48 hours after youve stopped exercising. So you get the same calorie burn, but in half the time.

I don't think thats true. Found this article:

http://www.burnthefat.com/high_intensity_interval_training.html
  • MissNordicLight
    MissNordicLight Posts: 140 Member
    As people said above, it's the afterburn.

HIIT is highly intense and I have noticed that my overall fitness level has increased a lot since I started doing intervalls. Thankfully the sessions are short, because they are crazy and I'm always a wreck at the end.
  • MissNordicLight
    MissNordicLight Posts: 140 Member

You will always find studies supporting one thing or another.
    I have tried both and get far better results with HIIT, that's all the 'science' I need!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    did anyone reason the venuto article? i'd be interested in informed responses.

also is what the op describes really hiit, or just interval training?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member

I have tried both and get far better results with HIIT, that's all the 'science' I need!

this is the way i look at it as well. also the only running i did for a month was those 15 second sprint HIIT intervals once or twice a week (6 minutes total of sprinting in an 18 minute session). before that i could maybe run on 4.6 for like 5 minutes before getting too winded. by the end of the month i was up to running at 5.1 for 30 minutes and could have gone longer.

i know i've read research that says HIIT and steady state have no correlation to each other because you are working 2 different types of muscles. i just know that for me that isnt the case. working on sprints helped my endurance at lower intensity
  • franturn
    franturn Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you. :-)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    did anyone reason the venuto article? i'd be interested in informed responses.

also is what the op describes really hiit, or just interval training?

Lyle McDonald at www.bodyrecomposition.com has published an excellent series of articles describing the differences between HIIT and steady-state training. His overall discussion is more detailed that Venuto but, in terms of the Tremblay study, is in complete agreement (as am I). I find the Tremblay study and the Tabata studies to be two of the most misinterpreted and misused pieces of research I have ever seen.

HIIT is an excellent form of training. It should be an important part of everyone's routine. But it's not some wonder drug that should be used to the exclusion of all else.

I don't have time to go into detail. Just go to Lyle's site and search "interval vs steady state" and you will get all the information you want and put this whole question into perspective.
  • Azdak

this is the way i look at it as well. also the only running i did for a month was those 15 second sprint HIIT intervals once or twice a week (6 minutes total of sprinting in an 18 minute session). before that i could maybe run on 4.6 for like 5 minutes before getting too winded. by the end of the month i was up to running at 5.1 for 30 minutes and could have gone longer.

i know i've read research that says HIIT and steady state have no correlation to each other because you are working 2 different types of muscles. i just know that for me that isnt the case. working on sprints helped my endurance at lower intensity

No, they are entirely correlated. What you experienced is typical, not atypical. However, the converse is often true as well--endurance training applied in the right way can enhance HIIT training as well. It's not an "either/or" question. Both types of training play an important role--any program that focuses on one type of training only is going to be unbalanced.
  • Azdak
    You really have to read the details on a lot of these studies because that's where the truth usually lies--not just in the "results". The studies that show the "advantages" of HIIT are usually designed to be isocaloric--that means they are set up so that the participants burn the same number of calories each workout, or in total. You have to do that otherwise you could not compare results. So when doing workouts of equal calorie burn, HIIT definitely wins out. It's probably not the "afterburn" effect--the effect of HIIT seems to be more one of increased catecholamine release (because of the higher effort), which results in greater fat loss.

Again, however, that is comparing workouts that achieve the same calorie burn. For beginners, endurance workouts can burn far more calories than HIIT, even taking the "afterburn" in to account. While there is still variability in study results, a meta analysis of research done a few years ago, suggested that the average "afterburn" effect of HIIT was 14% total calories burned during the workout (vs 7% for steady-state cardio). A typical calorie burn for a HIIT workout might be 300 calories. 14% is a whopping 42 more calories. Even if we go 400 calories, the "afterburn" is 56. Someone burning that many calories in a HIIT workout could typically burn 600-800 in a 45-60 min endurance workout.

Obviously, one of the advantages of HIIT is a shorter workout time. However, many beginners, and even advanced beginners or intermediates cannot work at a high enough level--even for a 15-20 min interval workout--to realize the promised benefits of HIIT. To really do HIIT the right way takes a pretty high level of conditioning and effort. At that level, most people will realize more benefits by still doing a good chunk of FOCUSED steady-state training (not just going through the motions), using higher-intensity interval training as an adjunct to improve performance.

There are lots of different ways to do effective cardio that don't require full-fledged HIIT (and, again, I not criticizing HIIT in any way shape or form). Mostly that includes interval training at different intensity levels, varying durations, and doing tempo training. Whenever I read one of these anecdotes (e.g. Karen Cosgrove) that describes how they were doing all this cardio, but then switched to HIIT and saw these miraculous results, my reaction is always "well, you were doing some crappy cardio all those years".

All types of exercise training have benefits--you should think of them not as a hierarchy, but as tools -- it's not a question of which is "best", it's one of using the right tool for the job.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    Interesting and helpful, thanks Azdak.
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member

thanks for posting that. I had been thinking about doing the same kidn of experiment but never got round to it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member
    The reason why is because intervals (like HIIT) verges more on "anaerobic" than "aerobic". Anaerobic training has the tendency to utilize fat better at rest than from standard steady state cardio training.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition