Anyone gain weight with the Merina IUD birth control?

jtodacheeny
jtodacheeny Posts: 181 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I have had the merina IUD in for two years and am having SUCH a hard time losing weight, no matter what I do!!! So anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this. I am going to get the IUD out soon....

Replies

• JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    would like to hear responses - i'm getting one later this year & would like to hear feedback! :drinker: good Q!
  • I've had mine for 3 years and haven't had any problems.
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Oh wow, I have one too!!!!

I wonder if that is part of my weightloss problem. Sorry, I can't help you...I'm interested in the answer to this.

I can't take mine out....9lb babies add more weight than I can afford to lose at this time lol
  • Silver_Dream
    Silver_Dream Posts: 1,630 Member
    I had heard there was weight gain with the mirena, so I got the Paragard. It's hormone free birth control. I've had it for a month and I love it so far.
  • I was gonna get that, then my doc told me the hormone in the IUD causes weight gain. Something to do with helping to stop the period cycle?? I think.... Anyway, I can't get it cause of the hormone, it also creates the clots that cause strokes and since I had one already, I can't get it. There is a copper IUD you could get that is effective for up to 5yrs that doesn't have that period stopping hormone, so you'll still get your period but at least you won't have that risk of stroke, heart attack or wight gain.
  • jtodacheeny
    Thanks for the input everyone! The IUD itself has been fine, I am just wondering if it may be the cause of my sluggish weightloss.

I have an appointment for Sept. 9 to get it out, so we will see.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    I have the mirena too. It's been in for a little over 2 years. I haven't gained any weight since then. Last year I was on MFP and had no problem losing weight effortlessly--then gained some back and since then it's been slow going losing. But I don't think it's due to the IUD in my case--wish I did know what's up :grumble:
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    I have one, love it, love it, love it! This is actually my second one. I loved the first one too, had them take it out and put a new one in same day. I have had no side effects at all but that may just be me!
  • Sherry79
    Sherry79 Posts: 74
    I don't know about that but I had the Implanon (inserted into upper arm & lasts for 3 yrs) and I gained 30 lbs in 6 months!! :explode: Dr. tried to say it couldn't be from that but I also had huge cystic pimples around my jawline, my hair fell out and I had heavy bleeding 3 weeks out of the month and he said that couldn't be from it either. When I had it removed (after a YEAR!) all those problems went away and I have finally been able to start losing weight again. So I know that kind of thing can affect everyone differently because my Dr. said "no one else he had seen had any kind of problems". He was also kind of a jerk because when I told him I wanted a generic BC pill he made the comment "Surely you're not telling me $40 a month (the difference in price in the generic vs. name brand w/ my insurance) is going to make you or break you" I said well in this economy it may be and I havent been back to him since !!!:mad: :mad: Sorry I have to rant everytime I get on that subject. . .
  • nicolet04
    nicolet04 Posts: 830
    i have had the mirena for 18 months and love it! i have lost a total of 60 lbs since i got it, but i have been stuck for the past 5 months with no loss . i dont think the mirena is to blame since i have lost so much with it in. my friend also has it and has lost 80 lbs and has kept it off!
  • busymom74
    busymom74 Posts: 3,341 Member
    i was on the depo before I switched to the mirena and I saw a dramatic weight loss after I got it. :happy: I love the Mirena!!! :love: :love:
  • jtodacheeny
    I have felt alot better since getting it out!!! Baby, Here we come!!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,447 Member
    A lot of birth control in general ads weight gain. I was recently on a generic Yaz (which I'm hearing is bad anyways) and seemed to only gain while being on MFP. But since my insurance hiked the price I've switched to a contraceptive called Solia, and I don't seem to have any issue's with excess water weight or anything! Although... it is still the first one.... always ask your Dr! Mine told me certain ones that are nitorious for weight gain!
This discussion has been closed.