Having so much pain....Dont know what to do.

Options
I have beeen experiencing shin splints, heel and foot pain after every and any kind of workout. I am guessing it's shin splints. I can not touch my shins they get so painful. i do Zumba, jogging, or elliptical. I ice for about half an hour from mid shin down nightly. When I have sat for any lenghth of time or in the morning when I wake up I can hardly walk. Now I'm having some pulling in the back of my lower calf down to my heel. I havee 3 different gym shoes. I know one is a trainer. I have tried them all. Im at a loss on what to do..... The husband is telling me I need to stop for awhile but I don't know if I can do that. Any help would be so appreciated!

Replies

• Char_marcus
    Char_marcus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    go to the doctor you may have stress fractures, if you don;t then at least you'll know !!
  • Gonzaln2
    Gonzaln2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It may be more related to how your foot strikes the ground which is causing the pain... Which ultimately is back to your shoe and running style.

What my trainers say to sit down, lay out a towel on the ground and bunch the towel up with your toes. It seems ridiculous, but its very helpful. Try doing this before and after your activity. Only takes about 5min (depending on the towel, hahah!).
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    None of us can see your lower limbs to assess the problem and most of us don't have the professional background to diagnose and treat your injury.
    Get to a doctor or appropriately trained health professional (I'd go to my physiotherapist for something like this) to get good advice on what is happening to you. Once they know exactly what the problem is they willl be able to advise whether you need rest, stretching, icing, anti-inflammatories etc.
  • chickenmcv
    Options
    Put them in rice.
  • wsrsjt
    wsrsjt Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My goodness it would seem very simple - stop, stop stop - you could be doing untold damage to your legs. Being in so much pain should tell you that you need to see a doctor. A friend of mine (many years ago) had the same type of pains, she was a semi professional runner (was placed in top 30 London Marathon) and ignored the pain saying she could "run through the pain", needless to say it WAS shin fractures and the result was a very long time out of running - I lost touch with her as we were in the Navy and posted to different bases so I can't give you a final outcome. Only to say the sooner you get professional help the better. Saying you cannot stop exercising in itself is worrying - of course you can stop, if only for your body to heal and get stronger. I am assuming you have young children from your picture - would you take them to the doctor if they were in as much pain as you are?
  • kurenaikumo
    kurenaikumo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters who have suggested seeing a doctor. I know firsthand- thanks to an old, untreated injury from 20 years ago, I now have knee problems. Had I have had it treated properly, I probably wouldn't have had any long-lasting issues. Not worth it in the long run to ignore it.
  • Sjvarley123
    Sjvarley123 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    How miserable you must be feeling! get to a physio, could be a number of different things many of which are very treatable, but high risk of further potentially permanent damage if you dont get advice!

Know how you feel, i have a chronic prob with my achilles tendon which has meant no zumba or tennis for the past 3 weeks which is miserable, but now getting better so can start again soon.