Need Trapezius Help!

Options
MoreBean13
MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
Hi-I want to know if anyone has had chronic trapezius pain (radiating to side of the neck) and if you've had success with any method of treating it. I have a muscle knot deep in my trapezius that has been bothering me for a really long time. Off and on for years- constant for the last 6 months.

I feel like I've done it all- PT, doctor, etc. Now I'm on a muscle relaxer and trying to do some strengthening exercises- shrugs and upright rows - and stretching....but it seems nothing helps. It is better some days and worse others, but its pretty much constantly bugging me. I have a special water pillow to help it too. As of now, I am taking NSAIDs almost around the clock and using icy hot and a heating pad alternately daily. I feel like the doctors have given up, and act like I'm just whining. They have the attitude that its just a muscle knot and it will go away eventually. I know the importance of medical intervention for an issue like this, I am just wondering if anyone else has gone through anything like this and what you did to improve the condition.

Replies

• Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I have limited knowledge with this but you could look into ART (Active Release Technique) or Graston to see if that helps (talk to a professional about it).
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Great suggestion! That's exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for. I will look in to it. Thanks!
    I have limited knowledge with this but you could look into ART (Active Release Technique) or Graston to see if that helps (talk to a professional about it).
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i had a similar pain. if it's like mine then it's a combination of bad posture and muscular imbalances.

make sure your posture is good : dont hunch shoulders up to your neck, visualize pulling them back.
    good exercises were scapular ones, so things like over-exaggerating the UP portion of the bent row.

i also did quite a bit of self massage (teehee) stuff like wringing my trap out like it was a wet sponge.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I had a neck injury years ago when I was in college. Had to re-learn how to sleep (from a natural stomach sleeper to back or side sleeper) and have been very sensitive to my neck alignment since the injury. About 2 years ago I was looking into getting a new bed (didn't due to the cost) and stumbled across some latex foam pillows at the mattress store. They were really comfortable at the store so I picked up a pair while "thinking" about the new mattress. Best investment I've made for sleeping even at $80 each. My neck is more relaxed and the quality of my sleep improved significantly. I used to just use cheap fiber fill pillows, standard issue from any department store for under $20. These Rejuvenite pillows I got at Sleep Country USA are amazing.

If you haven't tried changing your sleep equipment (bed, pillows, etc) or sleep position (side vs back, etc.) I really recommend doing so. Worn out mattresses and pillows can do a number on your spinal column by not supporting your body correctly. If your neck is out of alignment, putting pressure on a nerve and causing this knot, it's not going to go away with some icy hot and pain killers.
  • Gonzaln2
    Gonzaln2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thought of acupuncture?
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Have you tried vitamin and mineral therapy? Muscle cramps and aches can be caused by magnesium deficiency.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Great suggestion! That's exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for. I will look in to it. Thanks!

Here's a website that may also be worth reading.
    http://www.triggerpointrelief.com/cdrom/trapezius.html
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the ideas. I'm going to look in to each suggestion!
  • mmartinz
    mmartinz Posts: 3
    Options
    Poor posture can be contributor. If you work at a desk all day (one example), consider requesting an ergonomic workstation assessment. If you are not using your chair properly, on the phone constantly, and your keyboard and mouse is not properly positioned, your body would be what we called in a 'non-neutral' position, therefore causing your neck, shoulder and back muscles to constantly be tense to support your improper posture. Of course this would also apply to your posture habits while driving and at home (how you use your computer at home, gardening, chores, etc). I hope you find your answer(s) and feel better soon.