Up 2 pounds, disheartened

Options
I checked my weight tonight, first time in about a week, only to discover that I'm up 1.8 pounds from the last time

I've been more active (although it wouldn't take much) & I've been under my calorie goals every day. It's really gotten me down.

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Don't be stressed by the scale, there are a thousand reasons why the scale is showing a higher number.
    Just keep eating well and doing some exercise, you'll do OK, you just have to give it time.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    When did you start?

Honestly 2 pounds is nothing to worry about, I've gone up by three in a day and I'm a shorty! It will come right back down and probably then some as long as you keep doing the right things :)
  • roguex_1979
    roguex_1979 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I understand that if you're doing all the right things and you PUT ON WEIGHT, it can be very disheartening, but answer these questions:

1. Are you being honest with yourself about your calories?

If you are eating under your goal AND moving, you should NOT be putting ON weight.

2. Are you weighing yourself at the same time of the day?

You mentioned you weighed yourself last night, and you can be very much heavier in the evening compared to in the morning. Best to weight yourself in the morning before breakfast, or at least at the same time of the day each time. (I always have to make sure my scales are in the same PLACE each time too!)

And as others have said, 2lbs to put on is nothing. It will soon come off. I put on 3 lbs over Easter and I've lost it all now (within 5 days).

You can do it!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Definitely give it a little bit of time. You can gain 2lbs in a day, it is just water fluctuations. The important thing is focusing on the long term trend. Give it another week or two and look again - if you plateau for a few weeks then re-examine your diet. Also, think about taking your measurements so you can use those as a determinant.
  • gazbo1986
    gazbo1986 Posts: 52
    Options
    ^^^ what she said. 2 pounds is nothing. chin up.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    My sodium variances can cause me 3-4lbs of increases... before I followed the trend I didn't understand why my weight would fluctuate so much but it was my sodium. Stick to it. :)
  • feistymoon
    feistymoon Posts: 152
    Options
    Any chance it could be linked to your monthly cycle? I always retain fluid a few days before and a the first couple of days during my period. Also, be careful of salt intake as it can cause fluid retention also.

It might not be down to this, but its always something to consider ;)
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    dont weigh in at night time!!!!!! think of all the drink and food you had. you would have been moving allday causing muscles to retain water etc etc. take a morning weight next time. and keep on with the healthy lifstyle :)
  • devilsangel2
    devilsangel2 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
  • xxxAimeeHxxx
    xxxAimeeHxxx Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    iv had the same issue this week and one of my friends on here said the she eat up to half of her earnt calories back. you might be at a stage where your body is storing the food as its not getting enough.. (Sorry i havnt read your diary. )
    my friend on here has done amazing and lost ALOT so im gonna give her way ago this week and see if it works for me but....could be TOM this does make you seem heavier.
    Also try not focus on the scales and do mesurements they give a good possative reading of your loss o you know wheres its going and you can see it. xxxxx
  • Emagali74
    Emagali74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Youve had some good advice here.

THE KEY IS NOT TO PANIC !!! My weight fluctuates daily. Like other posters have said weigh yourself in the morning just after yoru first toilet trip !!! I always weigh naked too hahaha

The 2 pounds could be due to a number of reasons.... likely culprits are TOM, too much salt intake the day before. Drink plenty of water if youve had something salty to try and flush it out, keep to yoru calorie goals, do exercise and you will be fine.

Ive lost a pound since Wednesday morning but I'm 2 up from two weeks ago..... its no biggie. Im not stressed about it. Give yourself a break.

Emma x
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    You've been more active? That there could be the reason. How much water do you drink ?

When you work out more than your muscles are used to they hold water to repair themselves, in a weird none logical thing you need to drink more to flush out all the lactic acid and water weight.

Keep plugging away, if you are honestly doing the right things then you will see a response from the scale.