Disabled Navy Vet looking for Fitness Pals

Options
Howdy!

I'm not old as dirt, although sometimes I feel like it. I retired from the Navy in 1997 and I'm diligently trying to enjoy my retirement. Before I retired from the Navy and for years afterward, I also served in various capacities as a minister and pastored several churches in Florida. Due to my own best judgement, I chose to fully retire once I went on disability in 2008. My wife and I were fortunate enough to be able to retire in the mountainous area of Northeast Alabama near the town of Fort Payne. It's a good and simple life, but country living (and cooking) can sure stack on some pounds if we're not careful.

At the onset of Desert Storm, I was onboard a nuclear powered cruiser deployed out of Bremerton, WA, and took a two-deck fall during a shipboard fire. The damage to my lower spine was extensive. If I'd grown an inch taller for every inch of surgical scaring I've amassed over the years, I'd be about nine feet tall now. I live with chronic pain, but lead a fairly normal "retired" life by most folks' standards. Being unable to exercise much of the last five years, I reached my highest weight ever. I was making pretty good progress, but as fate would have it, reacted to a prescription and suffered a series of setbacks.

My wife and I are both myfitnesspal members. Since joining about four months ago, we've lost a collective 60+ pounds and we're making steady progress. Although we're each others' biggest fans and supporters, I felt like I could use a few more friends on the program.

I'm especially interested in making friends with people who, like me, are enrolled in pain management. You don't have to be retired Navy or military at all, but the notion of having fellow "pain patients" as pals just seems logical to me. Many people don't understand what it's like to live with chronic pain - pain that leaves you near tears most days - pain that makes simple pleasures like sitting through a movie or going to church nearly impossible at times.

I don't want to sound sad or helpless. I'm neither. I'm just a 54 y.o., happily married guy who got hurt, got fat, and now I'm doing everything I can to reduce the pain-inducing stress on my spine and hips. I walk almost daily - 2 to 4 miles; I even play a little golf a couple of times a week (also walking).

I've not requested or accepted friends before, so I'm not 100% sure how this works, but if you think you share some of my background and/or interests, let's do it. I can assure you that I'm an upbeat and encouraging type of person. I usually do MyFitnessPal stuff on my iPhone, so I'm generally not this long-winded. Send your friend request to Goodnewsdoc.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this and best wishes for continued success with your weight loss and health goals!

P.S. I'd also gladly welcome spouses who are married to chronic pain patients. Perhaps I can help you understand some of the things your spouse deals with. I certainly realize how difficult it's been for my wife at times, so I'm more than willing to help and offer encouragement to other couples who are dealing with this devastating health issue.

God bless! :smile:
Goodnewsdoc

Replies

• lvnspoonful
    lvnspoonful Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I am currently in the Navy - been in for a little over 12 years. Feel free to add me! :smile:
  • Always824
    Always824 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Aloha,
    First and foremost I would like to thank you for serving our country. I don't suffer any pain except for my achilles tendon that I messed up while longboarding (street kind) a year ago but I would like to extend my friendship to you and your wife here on myfitnesspal. I notice Im on here more then facebook and while doing so I try to encourage and motivate others. My fiance is actually in the navy and Im trying to get in shape to join the military as well... I wish you and your wife the best in your journey to living a healthy life and again, thank you for serving our country :)

God Bless,
    Always824
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me. Thank you so much for your service defending our freedom and very sorry to hear about your injury.
  • hcdawg
    hcdawg Posts: 69
    Options
    Friend request sent, Thanks for your service for our Country!!
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    My husband was in Army National Guard for 6 years and was deployed to Iraq in 2009-2010. He is out now and is a industrial apprentice plumber while I am a homemaker. Add me!