bank account question

Options
I know this doesn't go with anything at all related to what we do on this site, but I figured I'd post it up anyway :)

So I woke up this morning, and there was a deposit in my bank account from a job that I quit almost 2 months ago. I got my last check a long time ago. So this check was for around 250 bucks, and I have no clue why I'm getting it. The only thing I can come up with is that maybe it is vacation or sick time or something that I had built up? So I asked a friend of mine who also quit like 2 days before I did, and she had also built up sick and vacation time and did not receive any strange check for it. I just always thought that if you quit, then you lose it.

Thoughts, anyone??

Replies

• Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    If I were to quit my job I'd get compensated for unused vacation time. Sick time is use or lose. I'd call their HR department and see what's going on. You don't want to spend that money and then have to owe it back to them because they messed up somehow (though if they made a deposit it's probably due to you anyway from something). Better safe than sorry.
  • lynette111
    lynette111 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You may lose built up sick time but my previous jobs I got any vacation time coming. Best thing to do is just give them a call. If it was done accidently you definitely don't want to spend it because they can and will most likely catch the mistake and remove it. That was also done to a friend of mine last year.
  • regina2063
    regina2063 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    leave it in your bank acct and little while just to make sure they didnt make a mistake and then next mth..buy yourself something and leave the rest in the bank. You earned it at work and deserve it.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Yep - call HR and talk to them. Don't spend the money if you aren't 100% sure it belongs to you. I'd hate for you to have a big mess on your hands if they wanted it back.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    While it's awesome to stumble upon "found money" I'd call them and find out for sure. If it's an error and they figure it out after you've spent the money, then you'll probably either owe them the the money or be overdrawn (depending on how you balance your checkbook). I do hope it's unused vacay days. :)
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    If it's intentional, there's probably a pay stub coming in the mail to explain it.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't assume anything and I'd call HR to see what the money is.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Um just call them.