Atkins

Options
Hello everyone! I was just wondering if anyone else on here was on the Atkins diet? I need some group members who are going through the same diet as I am. Please let me know and if you are how is it working for you?

Replies

• creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    MOST athletes would agree that the atkins diet is too extreme, your body needs carbs for energy or your workouts will suffer
  • coffeelover1624
    Options
    I have done Atkins before and from what I can tell carbs just cause my energy to drop much faster (crash and burn kinda). Protein keeps me going much longer and more consistently, plus no blood sugar spikes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    So is this the lifestyle you intend to lead or is it just for weight loss?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I tried it once. My friend and I did it together. I did lose weight but I found myself hungry all the time so I couldnt stick to it. I gained the weight back almost immediately after stopping the Atkins diet.
  • coffeelover1624
    Options
    It is for weight loss but also a complete lifestyle change. I did atkins before for two years in high school and lost 60 lbs, but college kinda killed that. Now that I have my own home and can control what food comes into the house I want to get back on atkins. I am also trying to workout at least 3 to 4 times a week. I know its not a lot but I have never worked out before.
  • sicchi
    sicchi Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am on day 7 of atkins induction. You have to eat heaps of vegies and salad veg and count the carbs. You must have 12-15g net carbs in your daily 20g. Also protien should be120-170g per meal. Going well so far! Not weighing myself until tomorrow but my body really feels great. No bloating or gas even with all the cabbage Im eating, lol.. p.s - dont work out too much the first week or 2 cause your body is still adjusting to fat burning. And buy the book so you do it right! It has great 3g carb dessert recipes to get you through those sugar cravings, mmmm.... (new atkins for a new you)
  • paulaann67
    paulaann67 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I was originally on MFP and the scale wasn't moving fast enough so a I did Atkins for about a month.Needless to say I did lose weight but it wasn't practical for me! For me MFP is the best and most practical. You have try & figure what works for you good luck!
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I think there's an Atkins group on the site if you do a search. Might get a more supportive response to your inquiry.
  • scubagoil
    scubagoil Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    There are lots of people here that eat low carb. Go to the groups tab and type in low carb to find a friendly group who will support you!

If you are looking for friends for support, feel free to add me! I have done Atkins in the past and currently eat low carb, just not quite as low as Atkins...
  • yayagocrazy
    yayagocrazy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    No point in losing all that weight only to clog your arteries with Fat and grease...

- it takes your liver over 4 hours to clean the fat out of your blood after eating high fat protiens...

if you are using a diet for weight loss, i would recommend South Beach at best, with Lean protiens and high fiber carbs. :happy:

Just pointing out the long term health affects on your body ..but its Your choice , good luck ..
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    No point in losing all that weight only to clog your arteries with Fat and grease...

- it takes your liver over 4 hours to clean the fat out of your blood after eating high fat protiens...

Would appreciate the citation for this research.
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Check out the low carb groups for like minded members and support.
  • ALaureano2423
    ALaureano2423 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have also tried the Atkins diet. There is no denying that it works very well, I lost 30 lbs in just over two months. However, I found that it was hard to stick to, my diet was so restricted that I got bored very easily with my choice of foods, and I quickly gained all the weight back after stopping. I know the idea of the Atkins diet is to add on carbs until you are at an amount that helps you maintain weight, but it just seemed unrealistic to me to eat like that forever. If you are the type of person that thinks you can live on a restricted carb regiment then I would say go for it and I am sure there are lots of people here to support you. But you could always think about simply counting calories instead, allowing your self a variety of foods within reasonable portions, which is easier for some people, such as myself to stick to.
    Good Luck on your Journey!
  • Meladori
    Meladori Posts: 1
    Options
    Just started on Monday. Sugar free jello with real whipped cream on top keeps me sane. Been having salads for lunch. I also got some of the egg whites in a carton to make omelets with. Trying hard to keep it low fat too. Best of luck to you.
  • sicchi
    sicchi Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Just started on Monday. Sugar free jello with real whipped cream on top keeps me sane. Been having salads for lunch. I also got some of the egg whites in a carton to make omelets with. Trying hard to keep it low fat too. Best of luck to you.

OH YES, I LOVE THAT ONE TOO! And the 2tbsp cream, 1 tbsp cocoa (no added sugar) and 1 x splenda mixed up like ice cream. OMG, sooo yummo!
  • carinlynchin
    Options
    Hi, I have been doing induction for a bit over a month...but I've cheated here and there so I've only lost 10 lbs....but I re-started monday and going well so far. I read the "new atkins for a new you" and its very informative....and, although they say that there is no negative effects from eating only protein like clogged arteries etc...I still think that if you eat only meats then it can be bad...but the book explains that out of the 20 net carbs you have to have 15 in veggies...and the rest in non sugary stuff like atkins snacks (which totally keep me sane if I could stay out of the box :) )...few meats have 0 carbs I've found out...so unless you are eating a full meal of a 0 carb meat, I don't think you can eat too much of it....

every day my breakfast consists of : (and I NEVER get tired of it 'cause its awesome)
    - 2 fried eggs
    - 2-3 strips of bacon (or 4-6 turkey breakfast links)
    - 1 slice of american cheese

Lunch normally consists of a salad from Sheetz or Wendys (but it gets expensive) like: Grilled Chicken Caesar (wendys - no croutons, no dressing) or BLT cobb (wendy's - no croutons, no dressing) or the Grilled Chicken salad from Sheetz with salt, pepper, shredded cheddar, black olives, tomatoes, onions, green peppers...NO dressing, NO anything else...

Dinner sometimes is one of the 3 salads above in lunch...or some meat we cook at home and a veggie .. ex:
    about 4 brussel sprouts with avg 6 oz of meat...shrimp, steak (lean), chicken, turkey links, fish...

sometimes I eat more meat at night because that is the time I struggle the most with eating...not because of hunger but to keep busy almost... like when I do homework (in last semester at university) I like to snack.

I also LOVE the atkinds snacks (BE SURE TO CHECK THE BACK..... NOT ALL ARE FOR ALL PHASES>>>if in induction make sure it says ALL PHASES or shows phase 1)

if I could stick to it more religiously I think I'd be more successful at it but I tend to break down on weekends when I am not totally swamped with other stuff to do like during the week...so my guard is down and I either cheat a little and I lose my Ketosis...OR I eat too much meat and don't go over in net carbs, but eat too much.... I mostly now am tyring to get my ketosis back up to what it was at th ebeginning ...(ketone strips = med - dark purple)....and now its not as strong (regular 0 - light pink)

I know ppl say to watch the scale, not the strips...but the strips keep me positive I guess..its like a goal....something to keep me from eating too many carbs..

well just wanted to share...if anyone wants to join a group together and do it together I'm all for that...I'm here on my own and although I invited my friend to do it with me, I don't think she's too worried about dieting right now...so i'm all for buds online so we can support each other..... I graduate in 2 weeks and since I messed up induction, I started working out this week along with trying to stay on induction......I started at 195 ish and am now 184....so i'm trying to get to 170 in 2 weeks....not sure if that will happen but it would be pretty awesome...gives me soemthing to work towards...even if I end up in the lower 170s I'll be happy.

anywho...that is my LONG intro...thanks for reading !!!!! GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE ---- NO MATTER WHAT DIET YOU"RE ON
  • coffeelover1624
    Options
    Actually last time I went on atkins I lost 60 lbs, my blood pressure came down, and my cholesterol came down about 50 points. My doctor and I were thrilled!
  • Jljones2787
    Options
    I usually do low calorie diet but when I hit a plateau, I do Atkins induction. It helps the scale move and motivates me. I then return to my normal diet. It just depends on what works best for you... different strokes! Feel free to add me! :)
  • bettcher2004
    bettcher2004 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am finishing up week 1 of induction. I am so grateful to have just seen the jello and ice cream ideas on here. I have always had a bit of a sweet tooth and that has made this a rough week. I like the Atkins bars but they are so expensive that I try to use them sparingly. If anyone else has yummy, Atkins friendly recipes, I would love to know them!