30 Day Shred Results

Options
so i started the 30 day shred on sunday and i am loving the workout and feel very accomplished once i have finished the 20 minutes. but since i have started the shred i haven't lost any weight, but have gained weight! are others out there seeing the same results and should we be gaining weight. last week i lost 6 lbs when i wasn't exercising and now i have nothing to show for my progresss....

any suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I put on 3lbs this week doing 30DS and runnign at the gym :(:(
    I'm blaming it on my muscle I just built up :happy:
  • lena_walt
    lena_walt Posts: 17
    Options
    i just finished the 30 day shred, i did not lose any weight at all from it, but i did lose inches, lots of it. You are gaining muscle as people tell me and the muscle retains some water, but i know it does not make us feel any better to hear,,but the end results are, you will lose inches and that is all that matters right now. I feel better and i now fit into my skinny jeans..yeahhh. Keep at it and you will do fine. I am going to do this over again to see what other results i may get from it 2nd time around. Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend if you want.
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    You cannot building muscle while eating in a deficit.
    You are, however, retaining water from traumatizing the muscles. It's all good. A lot of people don't lose a ton of weight on 30DS but they lose a ton of INCHES which is what matters most. Keep with it. I lost 7 lbs the month I did 30DS but I lost 15+ inches!!! Can't argue with those results.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I'm in day 3 of 30DS and I have put on 1lb, but I'm not worrying about that. I tell people all the time the scale is NOT your friend. Your weight will vary up to 5lbs daily depending on water retention, the food you eat and glycogen. Just because you see an increase on the scale doesn’t mean your not losing weight. I doesn’t mean your gaining muscle either.

Best bet is to TAKE MESUREMENTS!!!! This will give you the most accurate reading of loss. I’ve been reading a lot of blogs about the progress of people’s 30DS results. Some have lost actual scale, other haven’t lost much on the scale, but lost several inches. Think about this: Two females are 5’6 and weigh 150lbs. One can fit a size 6 in jeans, the other a size 14. How is that possible? Because one has more muscle mass and less body fat (less inches) than the other.

Personally, I’d rather weigh the same and have more inches lost than weigh less and still be flabby!
  • carrie564
    carrie564 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I also didn't see ANY results from doing the 30 day shred. I even completely cut out treats while I did it. I think you can do it as a bonus workout per day to up your toning, but don't make it your ENTIRE workout. You just don't burn enough calories or get in enough cardio for your heart rate in only 20 minutes. I still had to keep my 45 min- 1 hr of cardio per day to see any weight loss. I know some people saw great results, but my body just didn't. Maybe if you're only a pure beginner it would do something?

Since you might be more like me, I'll recommend a video for toning that DOES get results, according to everyone I've spoken to & very close friends who've also done it. Check if your library or a friend has RIPPED Dvds by Jeri Love. Start with the pink or green one. You just need a set of weights or two to get started (I have 4s and 8s). It's longer, like 45 minute workouts, but she's not super annoying like most videos, and it kinda flies by with the way they break it up. It doesn't seem THAT hard while you're doing it, but in the evening or next day you FEEL it. So then it keeps you motivated to keep it up. After a week or two of doing it a few times a week, you can literally FEEL your muscles are harder/bigger- it's AWESOME! I go through phases where I do it, feel good, and then slack off & get blobby again... but whenever I need that pick-me-up, like before a trip or a wedding, I totally count on RIPPED DVDs to get the job done!
  • kdpamd
    kdpamd Posts: 38
    Options
    I am getting ready to start level 3 of 30DS tomorrow. Did not lose anything the last couple weeks. But I hopped on the scale this morning and was down 4 lbs. :drinker: I feel great. This is the first time I have been able to commit myself and do the workout everyday. Seems to finally be working. Good Luck!
  • alilovesray
    alilovesray Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose weight hte first week (level one) then I lost 3 (level 2) and because I am obsessing I am seeing that with mid level 3 I have NOT lost anything. BUT I am SURE I have lost inches though....measurements I didn't take though so regret that but I am SURE if can feel my clothing looser then something is happening.

SO hang in there, you feel results somehow-- whether or not its numbers off the scale or just clothing being loose your body need to adjust to Jillian.
    I love her and will continue her hard core 20 minute workouts (that is all I can take) :)

Good luck
  • rachl809
    rachl809 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just did Day 2 of 30 Day Shred - decided not to wait for my scale to arrive to start so I cannot track progress yet...

How does everyone calculate the exercise on MFP?

TIA! :)
  • HelpWanted220
    HelpWanted220 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    @ Rachl TAKE measurements of your waist, thighs, arms, hips!!! When you do the exercise and go to enter it type in Jillian Michaels the 30day shred will pop up it will ask you how long you worked out and it will give you an estimate of cals burned.
  • HelpWanted220
    HelpWanted220 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am on day 6 of the shred I kept gettin on the scale and just get discouraged. Some of the weight is water weight some of it is muscle weight!. So I started to stop letting the scale control me because lets face it we can get on the scale 100 times a day and everytime we get on it it will tell us 100 different weights gggererrrr:explode: sooooo the scale and I are taking a break:brokenheart: for another 24days then I will measure myself first then do the scale!!! If you haven't measured yourself DO it!! You will see the difference some where also another suggestion take that ugly picture none of us want to take!!!! Then take one after you will see it there too :) GOOD LUCK!!! Stay on track!!
  • sazrina
    sazrina Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 11, first day of level 2 today. I've only lost a pound but my trousers are baggy and I have developed muscles in arms that I couldn't see before. I took a photo when I started but I'm not going to compare until I've finished. I'd hoped to lose more weight but I'm pretty happy with the results so far.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Take your measurements! I lost 4 inches in the first 10 days, while gaining weight. The weight melted away later on, so it was all worth it in the end. But the inches lost were amazing! I haven't gotten much further. Done level 2 4 times. In the last month or so. LOL! Take pictures and measurements, you'll be glad you did in the end!
  • kabarnes45
    kabarnes45 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Today was day 30 for me. I only lost a few lbs (would've lost anyway at calorie deficit) and I also still did other cardio. The best news is that am stronger than i was a month ago and I have better muscle tone. That counts for something. Also, i am kinda proud of myself for sticking to the commitment even on days when I didn't want to. That should count in the "results" area. Hope people stick with it even if the scale doesn't move- I am glad I did!
  • tree5981
    tree5981 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am on day 9 level 1 and I have only lost a pound. I have tried the 30 day shred in the past and was very discouraged because of that damn scale! However, this time I took measurements and promised myself to NOT go by the scale. I have lost an inch around my tummy which is fantastic!. I feel great too. I feel stronger and noticed that my endurance gets better with each exercise. My advice is to not look at the scale. Go by how you feel and take measurements. After 30 days I am going to try her other videos Ripped in 30 days and No more trouble zones. Good luck to you and don't give up!
  • faithnna
    faithnna Posts: 42
    Options
    Measuring is key! My weight hasn't changed but I've lost 4" in only 5 days so far which I find INSANE. It's made me realize that the scale isn't the deciding factor for me anymore.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I lost 13lbs and about 14 total inches when I did 30DS. Everyone is different. Dont let the scale throw you. Keep with it and do your measurements and you will see a difference!
  • jodyb23
    jodyb23 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 22 and have been gaining weight through out. I lost 6 lbs prior to starting and have since not lost anything or am gaining. I did take measurements though and have lost 2 inches already off my waist and just feel I look better and feel stronger. It's so hard not to focus on the scale! I'm wondering if at the end of 30 days I should take a break before I start ripped in 30 just to see if the scale can catch up? I have about 30 more lbs to lose and would just like to see the number drop.