Protein Powder

Options
adamb83
adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
I'm going to be buying protein powder tomorrow, for the first time, and I was wondering if anyone had good suggestions?

Lower calories and lower sugar are preferable... and probably some kind of chocolate flavor, as I tend not to enjoy any fruit flavored things.

I will be blending the powder into smoothies (ice & light soy milk ..possibly with a banana and/or peanut butter at times) so powders that don't taste granular when blended would also be great. (I won't be mixing directly into milk/water because that grosses me out!)

Thanks!

Replies

• warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    if you're buying online i suggest
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/store/isofuel.html
    a lot of flavors are out of stock but the chocolate mint is in and it's great
  • adamb83
    Options
    Whey? Casein? Soy? Bump?
  • adamb83
    Options
    if you're buying online i suggest
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/store/isofuel.html
    a lot of flavors are out of stock but the chocolate mint is in and it's great

Ohh - I love chocolate mint! My favorite ice cream flavor.. not that I eat it anymore. I eat the mint chocolate sugarfree gum, now. Lol
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    If you have a Sam's Club try the Premier Nutrition. Really tastes good and 30 grams protein and only 3 carbs per serving.

** This is a whey protein with no soy.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I have the Dymatize ISO 100 Gourmet Vanilla. It's very tasty, good macros, and blends well!
  • snacker127
    snacker127 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I use Garden of Life, Raw Protein. 80 calories, 17 grames of protein. I blend it with ice, water, frozen berries, and some other fruit if I have it. It can be a tad powdery, but it makes me feel full, and has no milk, whey or soy. If you try it, let me know what you think. :happy:
  • Kaylyn221
    Kaylyn221 Posts: 123
    Options
    I use GNC Pro-Performance Soy Protein 95 {chocolate}.

It has 130 calories a serving, 2g sugar and 25g protein. I just had some with Light vanilla soy milk and it was very tasty.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Natural Chocolate Whey Protein.
    Stevia+Whey, tastes great.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    It's whey isolate. Soy protein is no bueno.
  • adamb83
    Options
    Awesome... I'll look for some Chocolate Whey Isolate at the store tomorrow. I hear the isolate is more expensive but also more effective, so hopefully it's worth it!
  • theredcliche
    theredcliche Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    i tried body fortress super advanced whey protein in vanilla and chocolate. i think i like the chocolate better. they have it at kroger and cvs - it's $21 for 2 lbs, i think.. oh and 140 cals, 23 g protein, 3 carbs (i think!)
  • adamb83
    Options
    How do I know if I'm buying Whey Isolate or if I'm buying a blend? Will it say right on the carton? Something specific to look for in the ingredients?
  • adamb83
    Options
    bump
  • lthacks
    lthacks Posts: 15
    Options
    I use Isopure or Isosensation 93. Both lots of protein, little carbs, and glutamine mixed in already.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    How do I know if I'm buying Whey Isolate or if I'm buying a blend? Will it say right on the carton? Something specific to look for in the ingredients?

It should say on the label (in the front) somewhere.
  • smesch
    smesch Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You should/can check trueprotein.com as well. You can build your own custom mixes, add sweeteners, good prices, and there's a TON of flavors. Their customer service has been great as well.
  • digitaltara
    digitaltara Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Since I can't have any artificial sweeteners (and I don't like the taste of Stevia) I started using Any Whey by Optimum Nutrition. It's unflavored, unsweetened, and very fine powder, so you can mix it into almost anything.
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I use Perfect Nutrition - Diesel 100% Whey Protein Isolate
    Per scoop (30g) :
    111 cals, 0.1g fat, 0.5g carbs, 0.5g sugar, 39mg sodium, 117mg potassium and 27g of protein
    It's made with all natural ingredients and with sweetened with stevia
    it's also lactose, gluten, fat, yeast, wheat and aspartame free
    it's the best thing I've found...makes wicked smoothies :)
  • s0ready
    s0ready Posts: 99
    Options
    i tried body fortress super advanced whey protein in vanilla and chocolate. i think i like the chocolate better. they have it at kroger and cvs - it's $21 for 2 lbs, i think.. oh and 140 cals, 23 g protein, 3 carbs (i think!)

second this....available at walmart for $14.88
  • mncodergal
    mncodergal Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Online: Dale's raw protein powder. It's all plant based, dehydrated below 115 degrees so it retains all nutrients, no whey, no sugars, all organic and healthy. I put it in many of my veggie smoothies. It's made with pea, hemp and rice proteins. 1 scoop is 91 cal, 1 g fat, 1 g carb, 20 g protein. It's fabulous!