Runners do you ever get tummy troubles after a run?

Options
Let me just start by saying that I am fairly new to running right now, and have only been consistently running for 3 months now. I just got to the point that I can run 5 miles straight on a treadmill not outside. I have been having trouble with an upset tummy after my run. I know 4-5 miles is not much for most but when i run that almost as soon as i stop my stomach is all in knots and i have to run to the restroom. It will then be all waked out for at least 1-2 days. Anyone have this experience? Is there something I should be eating before or after? I have tried bananas and protein shakes and really try to get my water in but it does not seem to change anything. Because of this feeling it really makes me not want to run further so any ideas or suggestions would be welcome. TIA - A

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I used to be like that when I first started but it has gotten better as I improved my diet. running can be very jarring to the system. Have you tried pepto or anything?
  • AJLovinLife
    AJLovinLife Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have not tried pepto because when I was younger it always made me sick. I know now they have tablets maybe I could try those and see if they make me worse.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I don't have that kind of problem but I know there are people who do. My sister has issues but usually only when she runs much longer distances than 5 miles, so you may just have a really sensitive stomach. My understanding of the problem is that your body diverts as much of your blood and oxygen to your legs as possible when you run, which leaves less for things like your stomach. This can cause problems. My sister has found that taking Immodium before a long run really helps her. I've also heard that it helps to avoid heavy meals for several hours before running. I don't usually eat much before a run which may be why I don't have the problems my sister does.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Only when I eat those cliff blocks during a long run!!!
  • cindyhow27
    cindyhow27 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What are you eating before your run? I get this issue if I run on a too empty stomach or something too hard to digest...or too much coffee on an empty stomach!
  • Shriffee
    Shriffee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I don't have to use the restroom, but after a long run my stomach will cramp for hours.
  • phillieschic
    Options
    Isn't metabolism great? :)

It happens to me, too, but I honestly, don't really mind it. It goes away eventually...
  • sarafit926
    sarafit926 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    This happens to me ALL THE TIME. Usually after a long run or race I need to lay in bed for the rest of the day. It helps to run in the morning before I've eaten anything (maybe a piece of toast and glass of water 15-30 minutes before running). I also avoid dairy and high-fiber foods before a long run (the day before a race, I'll eat all a few small servings of fruits&veggies but mostly just simple carbs like white pasta or bread).

What's happening is basically your stomach diverting blood from digestion to your legs, so if you were in the middle of digesting something, the process will halt and your body will try to catch up after you finish running. After you run, don't drink or eat too quickly (although it's very tempting to nom ALL THE FOOD that they give you after a long race). Let a bagel and bottle of water last you the first 2-3 hours, and then you should feel well enough to go about your day.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I think it only makes sense.... just like we take our dogs for walks for them to go potty - exercise helps 'get things moving' if you will.... :)
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Let me just start by saying that I am fairly new to running right now, and have only been consistently running for 3 months now. I just got to the point that I can run 5 miles straight on a treadmill not outside. I have been having trouble with an upset tummy after my run. I know 4-5 miles is not much for most but when i run that almost as soon as i stop my stomach is all in knots and i have to run to the restroom. It will then be all waked out for at least 1-2 days. Anyone have this experience? Is there something I should be eating before or after? I have tried bananas and protein shakes and really try to get my water in but it does not seem to change anything. Because of this feeling it really makes me not want to run further so any ideas or suggestions would be welcome. TIA - A

When you run, you can sweat profusely, in that sweat you will lose salt, lose too much salt and your electrolytes can go up the wall, this can result in diarrhoea, this diarrhoea in turn, will cause your electrolytes to get even more out of balance.

Instead of plain water to drink, try some sports drinks, they will have stuff in them to balance your electrolytes, drink these during your run - not big glugs of course, just a small mouthful now and again and don't force yourself to drink if you truly are not thirsty at all.

Do not eat just before running, it can be stressful on your heart.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If I have too much in my stomach I always end up with the runs post run. I may try to have something light (usually a banana) before a longer run, but not usually. Everything works better (I feel better, my workout is better, etc) if I workout on an empty stomach.
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I used to get this when I very first started running. I could almost always tie it back to running on an extremely empty stomach. Now I don't get it unless I'm doing longer distances (greater than 10 miles) and it's not every time.

You might have to play around with eating something and the timing before you get it down.
  • rblair_22
    rblair_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I also have this problem, it's gotten so bad sometimes that I will have stop my run on the treadmill to run to the bathroom. I'm hoping it starts to go away as my food choices continue to change.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by waked out.

However, I've found that eating a diet high in fiber has calmed down my need to go during runs.

I also imagine that running more has helped smooth out those problems as my body has gotten used to the exercise.
  • Julcandoit
    Julcandoit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would look at your fiber intake. Too much of that for me doesn't settle well. Eat simple meals, bagel w/pbutter is a good one. Bananas are great too. Also, don't forget to stay hydrated before, during and after your longer runs.
  • Jeyed
    Jeyed Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    When I first start running it was happening to me as well. It had more of a laxative effect on me. So, I changed the time of day I run and it's no longer an issue.
    I first started running between 7-8pm after I ate dinner. Now I find if I run prior to having dinner any time between 4-6pm, I no longer experience any stomach problems. Perhaps you need to change the time of day you run.
  • ironmanwannabe
    ironmanwannabe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i dont have this issue. Before an event I eat a bland breakfast (oatmeal and raisins, or wheat toast). About 1/2 hour into the event I will start taking GU. (try different ones before settling on one in an actual event). I switch between drinking water and sports drinks. I think you may just have to play around with what you eat and drink to find what will work for you. I read that it is actually better to eat more processed food to save your stomach in having to work too hard to break down the food. hope that helps.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I have this issue. I started working with a sports nutritionist last week to try to address it. It started when I started routinely getting above 5 miles in a run. I agree with the poster who said that it may be trial and error to find out what works for you. The nutritionist suggested that I eat about an hour before I run and adding more protein to my breakfast. Then she recommened 16oz of low fat chocolate milk after I run and then waiting at least an hour longer before I eat anything else. After a run she suggested a high protein meal. I tried it today and it was better than it has been before, but still not great. I am going to have try a lot of different combinations to find out what works for me.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I have this issue. I started working with a sports nutritionist last week to try to address it. It started when I started routinely getting above 5 miles in a run. I agree with the poster who said that it may be trial and error to find out what works for you. The nutritionist suggested that I eat about an hour before I run and adding more protein to my breakfast. Then she recommened 16oz of low fat chocolate milk after I run and then waiting at least an hour longer before I eat anything else. After a run she suggested a high protein meal. I tried it today and it was better than it has been before, but still not great. I am going to have try a lot of different combinations to find out what works for me.

Dusty, did she say why it might be happening? It seems quite a regular (excuse the pun here, 'twas not intended) occurrence for people.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options

Dusty, did she say why it might be happening? It seems quite a regular (excuse the pun here, 'twas not intended) occurrence for people.

She didn't have anything specific because she said it was a lot of trial and error to find out what works for each individual. She said to start with a breakfast that is higher in protein. After my run she suggested low fat chocolate milk and then no food for about 2 hours. She did say that the reason I am struggling is that the digestion is way slowed during the run and then when we stop running it kicks into overdrive.