How to get small kids active?

Options

Replies

• Yunnieh
    Yunnieh Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Kids take influence from their parents. Get your *kitten* up and play a football match with your kids in a park. They'll love it,they'll want it again.
  • Paintbynumb3rs
    Paintbynumb3rs Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Three words: Giant Hamster Wheel
    'nuff said
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    some sort of outdoor play area is vital. my parents tied ropes up in trees, bought a swingset, a sandpit, a slippery slide, bicycles, and they were earning very little when i was small. (they didn't buy us many toys, no video games, etc) they also took us to the park. 'go downstairs and play' was a common phrase. 'feed the chooks' or 'help daddy water the garden' or do the yard work were also our jobs. mum also made us dry the dishes, starting from ages of 3 and 5.

inviting other kids around is the best way to get some real running happening. teach games like hide and seek, tiggy, 1,2,3,home, red red rover, etc. play it with them, then when you tell them to go outside and play next time, tell them to play it.

dance classes or soccer or something are also usually fun.

kids can't imagine or establish good routines themselves - you have to get creative and make a routine for them. when i was little, my after-preschool routine was: snack, draw/toys, some tv (while the sun was still too hot - i'm aussie), 'go downstairs and play!', then do dinner chores.

do you know what my routine is now? afternoon tea while playing a little, go outside and either walk or run for an hour or so, dinner prep and chores. because my parents set this routine for me when i was little, it is what i have always followed! :)
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 yr old.... My husband and I are both very active, so he has been raised seeing activity as an everyday occurrence, but for my son, we:

Take him to the playground and play chasing games
    My husband has light saber battles with him (he is Star Wars obsessed)
    We go for hikes together (have been doing this since before he could walk in the Bjorn - but once he could walk, he would walk the trails with us, just shorter distances - now he can go a few miles)
    In the summer, we run towards the waves and away from them to see if we can chase the waves, and if the waves can get us
    We walk to the farm near us with old fruit and veggies to feed the animals - it's about a mile and a half total
    I sign him up for fun runs - usually a half mile to a mile, and I run with him - they are usually about 5 dollars before almost any race
  • alharbour
    alharbour Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My daughters are 10 and almost 4. We have a trampoline, which they usually get on daily. We also do Zumba and just dance on the WII. We go to the park alot to play, or just walk the walking trails. All that activity also makes them sleep better at night!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Definitely find a sport or physical activity that is fun for them. If it's not fun, they won't do it. I did dance and gymnastics as a kid, my sister played soccer. My son is in t-ball right now and LOVES it. All kids are different so you might need to try a few different things.

Also, making it a family thing: go on family bike rides, take walks around the neighborhood/park, make a weekly game of family basketball/soccer/whatever---just something to get outside and moving around. Playing Just Dance on the Wii or Kinect or whatever (I am admittedly video game challenged and haven't owned a console since N64 when I was like 12 lol) is great too!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you allow video games, stop. Going outside to play will appeal to them far more if they have no other options.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Once our DS was old enough we bought a trail-a-bike to attach to the back of DH's cheap mountain bike. Eventually he outgrew that and we invested in a Co-Motion road tandem with a telescopic rear seat-post. So anyone from 4'-5'8" or so fits well on the back of the bike. Last Summer our son was 10 and managed as far as 53 miles in a single ride on the back of that bike. I ride along on my solo road bike (and struggle to keep up with those two!)...it's a really fun way to spend the day as a family. Exercise is simply a bonus. And people can't help but smile when they see our skinny kid behind his big dad on the bike. :happy:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    At this age it is so easy. If you can't get them going now, it is only going to get harder. Bikes, sports, trampoline, park, walks, swingsets, a pet to play with outside. Get outside with them and play. At this age, you may need to keep giving them ideas. Do they have toys to play with outside? Bikes, scooters, balls? If there is nothing interesting for them, of course they won't want to go outside and they won't think it is fun.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
    :huh: :huh:
    I'm fat, buttttt you couldn't get me to come from outside when I was younger. I guess it depends on where you live. I mean we had a big community of kids, and we played on the swings, frisbee, jump rope, hula hoop, running, softball, football, hide and seek (BEST.GAME.EVER) I'm only 20 but I remember these days like it was yesterday. We played in the mud (awesome mud pies), jacks, basketball. and when all else failed, we just used our imagination and made up some random stuff.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old. Both have a gymnastics class and a yoga class once a week. I just signed them up for swim lessons for the summer which now also involves me as I will need to be in the pool with my little one but it's worth it! Also, we go for family walks. If they are hesitant I tell them that their babies need some fresh air and we pack up their dolls in the little strollers and walk them around the block. Sometimes my older one rides her bike while the little one rides her princess mobile or walks her baby in the stroller. Last year I started to run more serioulsy than I have in the past. When I started running races (including two 1/2 marathons) I always have someone there with my kids (my husband travels often so is not always there or he runs many of the races with me) at the finish line to watch the excitement. My older girls has been begging to run with me and I told her this summer I would let her start. The Easter bunny brought her her first pair of real running shoes along with running shorts and shirt. We plan to go out on our first run this weekend.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I like to sit in the yard outside with the kid. I get a bucket with ice in it and beers. Then I simply lock them out of the house , and use my garden hose to make sure they are well hydrated, as well as moving around. If I get a count to ten and they are slacking, spray them. We do things like carry the rock. Bounce the ball. swing the bat. And I have slingshots and bb guns is they need to rest their legs. The cat hates it, but I mean you have to break a few eggs to make a cake.

I am prepping them for the eventual collapse of society, when they may have to walk a lot with no gas or anything. I'm hoping by that time I'll be a bit older, so I'll mostly just be able to relax wile they go out and bring back boxes of twinkies or fresh water. Really just having a plan is essential.
  • elishabeish
    elishabeish Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If you allow video games, stop. Going outside to play will appeal to them far more if they have no other options.

Agreed! We had this issue with my son (10 yo). Everything is electronic anymore and the kids don't know how to play. No longer an issue. The only video game time he gets now is for A's on spelling tests, he gets 30 mins for that otherwise out side is where all the fun is! We have a trampoline and a huge yard, so we play follow the leader, badminton, Frisbee, catch, tag. The more active in playtime that I am the more playful they are =)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I like to sit in the yard outside with the kid. I get a bucket with ice in it and beers. Then I simply lock them out of the house , and use my garden hose to make sure they are well hydrated, as well as moving around. If I get a count to ten and they are slacking, spray them. We do things like carry the rock. Bounce the ball. swing the bat. And I have slingshots and bb guns is they need to rest their legs. The cat hates it, but I mean you have to break a few eggs to make a cake.

I am prepping them for the eventual collapse of society, when they may have to walk a lot with no gas or anything. I'm hoping by that time I'll be a bit older, so I'll mostly just be able to relax wile they go out and bring back boxes of twinkies or fresh water. Really just having a plan is essential.

As always, you are the voice of reason.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    My boys are 4 and 6, and my 6 year old just came home from school with a fitness/food survey project. They gave him a pedometer, and a control sheet - where he has to track the number of steps he takes each day - and how many servings of fruits and vegetables he eats every day for a week. I was SHOCKED when I saw he had accumulated nearly 30,000 steps in one day.

Perhaps you can get the kids involved by using a similar approach. Get a pedometer for them (they are really cheap - many health providers give them out for free, otherwise, there is a new program called Walk With Walgreens, where you sign up (name/email) and they give you a great little pedometer and coupons and such - you can do it in the store). Get a chart/paper and post it on the fridge - then find fun ways to get them out and moving.

Some of our favorite activities are going to the park, taking hikes, biking (or scootering), playing catch, swimming (so excited it is almost that season again!), jumping rope, jumping jacks, etc.

But, I also work out at home - so the kids often join in with us. They don't participate in the whole thing, but they do like to do the simple exercises. They boys also love to have races, with one heat being running, one being galloping, one being skipping, etc. Make it fun and keep it simple. It is just the four of us, but often we break into teams and do relays.

We are lucky to live near many parks and a great trail system or two. Do some research and find out what is available in the your area - a local chamber or convention and visitors bureau is a great place to start.

Finally - don't overlook the other sports and activities you can do together or with their peers. Programs through your health and human services department (ours is called Move to Improve), the YMCA, Boys & Girls Club, etc. have many options. For example my son is a member of the Boys and Girls Club and every day after school he gets structured activities, including Daily Challenge (where it is a physical activity), usually followed by Healthy Habits, where they learn how to make a healthy snack.

And, like another poster suggested - the best gift we can give our kids is a great example. Good luck!
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options

The zombie apocalypse ain't got nuthin' on you! :laugh: :drinker:
  • Fairy_Farts
    Fairy_Farts Posts: 166 Member
    Options

Bill, you should write a parenting book or start a talk show. Dr. Phil has nothin' on you!
  • WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Wake them up? That's about all it takes to get my 3 yr old bouncing off the walls.
  • carolanne84
    carolanne84 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Find some fun outside games to play, a mini basketball goal, a kick ball, maybe a water sprinkler, have a water balloon or water gun fight during the summer, play hide n seek, freeze tag, hop scotch, build a fort out of cardboard boxes, Frisbee, baseball, soccer, take them on walks (maybe hike through some nature trails if there are any near), parks, swimming, Volleyball was always a summer fave of mine growing up, Just make it fun and keep them hydrated join in with them make a play date out of it and picnic with them after having an hour or so of play. I have problems keeping my 2 year old in the house he is always trying to escape to the outside lol.
  • RyLaneB
    RyLaneB Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My boys are 4 and 6, and my 6 year old just came home from school with a fitness/food survey project. They gave him a pedometer, and a control sheet - where he has to track the number of steps he takes each day - and how many servings of fruits and vegetables he eats every day for a week. I was SHOCKED when I saw he had accumulated nearly 30,000 steps in one day.

Perhaps you can get the kids involved by using a similar approach. Get a pedometer for them (they are really cheap - many health providers give them out for free, otherwise, there is a new program called Walk With Walgreens, where you sign up (name/email) and they give you a great little pedometer and coupons and such - you can do it in the store). Get a chart/paper and post it on the fridge - then find fun ways to get them out and moving.

Some of our favorite activities are going to the park, taking hikes, biking (or scootering), playing catch, swimming (so excited it is almost that season again!), jumping rope, jumping jacks, etc.

But, I also work out at home - so the kids often join in with us. They don't participate in the whole thing, but they do like to do the simple exercises. They boys also love to have races, with one heat being running, one being galloping, one being skipping, etc. Make it fun and keep it simple. It is just the four of us, but often we break into teams and do relays.

Last spring I joined a Women Out Walking challenge through our local Health Dept and after my 7 year old begged I went and got both of mine pedometers. The first day he wore it I was also shocked! After a full day at school and riding to and from school he had almost 27,000! My kids also love to do my work out DVD's with me...in fact, sometimes my little trainer is tougher then Jillian Michaels herself LOL!