I don't understand what I'm doing wrong

Options
I go to the gym 5 times a week. Cardio for 40 minutes, some light weight training twice per week. I eat no more than 1700 calories in a day (which is what Myfitnesspal tells me to eat).

I've been doing this for a month.

I've GAINED 2 POUNDS.

I have weight to lose. I have a LOT of weight to lose. What is going on?

Replies

• jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    What types of foods are you eating? There are some who believe that the "combination" of foods assist greatly with weight loss
  • geluf2
    geluf2 Posts: 12
    Options
    My protein comes from baked chicken mostly (a few other sources, but those are more rare). I eat quite a bit of fiber and don't consume trans-fats.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    sodium maybe? Do you eat your exercise calories back? How tall are you? Maybe try bumping calories up a couple weeks and see what happens?
  • Cwilliams8676
    Cwilliams8676 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    how many calories are yo burning? Could you not be netting enough calories? or maybe its water weight or swollen muscles?
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    what do your macros look like? how much protein are you eating? Are you getting enough water? It could be any number of things. Can you open your diary so we can look?
  • Shan605
    Shan605 Posts: 41
    Options
    make sure you are drinking A LOT of water each day. Drinking a gallon of water over the course of the day will help flush your system.
  • JeepBrah
    JeepBrah Posts: 150
    Options
    start doing less cardio about 3 times a week HITT 10/15 mins and start weight training
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Male...eating 1700 cals..seems shady. Also i couldn't see your diary and what is your waist size during this time period?
  • Zumbagurl64
    Zumbagurl64 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    OPEN YOUR DIARY, GONNA BE HARD FOR US TO HELP IF WE CAN'T SEE IT.....
  • Dremak1
    Dremak1 Posts: 18
    Options
    Have you had your Thyroid checked? I was having exactly that issue - there was NO WAY I should have been gaining weight - I should have been losing - It was my thyroid. My doctor said I could have been eating 800 calroies and working out hours a day and still be gaining weight due to my thryoid. You should have it checked.

Other symptoms include - always cold, especially your fingers and hands, Losing excessive amountsts of hair, irritability, depression, always tired.
  • duckieee
    duckieee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Switch up your workout and food! If you mainly eat the same thing and exercise the same way your body gets used to it. Have fun with stuff! Try other lean meats, eat tons of veggies, try a different form of cardio! If you run on a treadmill, try running outside, if you only do elliptical, give running a try! Maybe bump up weights, try new things. Drink tons of water, and make sure you have a solid breakfast!
  • fishfish3
    fishfish3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Read "Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It". Then start eating less carbs. The weight will come off. :)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring? Because even if the scale is going up you could still be shrinking.
  • dirextor
    dirextor Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at the ratio between carbs, protein and fiber. I was on the same track. Crossfit 4 -5 days a week, running 3 miles 2 days a week and was gaining like nobody's business. I have an inactive thyroid. I took a week off from CF and watched my carb intake and upped my protein and consumption of greens. I have lost 4 lbs this week and I haven't run, jumped or slung any weight around. Check the contents of what your eating. I know there is a school of thought that a calorie is a calorie. For me that isn't true. I can eat 1400 calories per week that is less than 25% carbs and loose with no exercise. Add the carbs and bam, my gut will swell up like a balloon. Just my two cents.
  • rhichi
    rhichi Posts: 133
    Options
    Start measuring your waist, hips, chest, arms, legs, etc. If you're new to exercise, you may be building muscle. You wouldn't know it from the scale, but you could be burning fat. Measuring will give you a better estimate if this is the case.
  • MaryBowen27
    MaryBowen27 Posts: 132
    Options
    Are you eating 1700 total? Or netting 1700? If you're working out and not eating calories back, thus netting less than 1700 it could be working against you.
  • cdubbz11
    cdubbz11 Posts: 17
    Options
    Are you taking your body measurements? like your waist, arms, hips, thighs, and neck? have you gained weight because of muscle mass? you may have shrunk in size but still put on some weight....?

once you start getting fit BMI and weight stuff goes out the window... most body builders and professional atheletes' BMI's will tell them that they're obese.
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Water retention is something I've never bought into (seems like an easy excuse to me) so I would disregard that personally.

Could be muscle gain. Again, this is often used as an easy excuse, and in many cases I very much doubt it's validity as an excuse for gaining weight, but in this case (only 2lbs in 2 months) it's possible.

But more likely, I would suggest that it's something in your diet. how confident are you about those 1700 calories? Do you weight everything accurately? Do you count all snacks, dressing, and the lot?

Are you eating your exercise calories back? If not, there is absolutely no doubt that you should be.

if you are, then be careful about the reported calorie burn figures here on MFP, they're widely agreed as being far too high (leading you to eat back more calories than you burned, which could well explain the weight gain).
  • Gemmageldmacher
    Gemmageldmacher Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to ignore the scale and focus on what your body is telling you. Are your clothes looser? Are you finding it easier to get around? Be patient, the weight loss will come. Think about how long it took you to gain that weight - comparatively, a month is very little time. In the meantime, focus on the positive. You are doing all the right things.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Have you had your Thyroid checked? I was having exactly that issue - there was NO WAY I should have been gaining weight - I should have been losing - It was my thyroid. My doctor said I could have been eating 800 calroies and working out hours a day and still be gaining weight due to my thryoid. You should have it checked.

Other symptoms include - always cold, especially your fingers and hands, Losing excessive amountsts of hair, irritability, depression, always tired.

This could be due to a deficency of idodine. Idodine is needed to help with your thyroid. We no longer get the proper amount do to low sodium diets, idiodine free salts, and many other factors. Have it checked out.