The Scale

When are you supposed to weigh yourself to get the most accurate weight? Obviously in the evening you will weigh more as you havae eaten all day. In the morning you weigh less (if you haven't already eaten breakfast)
2 different weights. Is it better to weigh youself in the morning before your day or in the evening? How do you get an accurate weight?

Replies

• atx7
    atx7 Posts: 41 Member
    It doesn't matter.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    In the morning, first thing. It will be consistent from day to day. In the evening from day to day it will fluctuate based on what you ate that day, how much water you drank, etc.

They are all accurate, that is what you weight at the moment you are on the scale (assuming the scale is accurate). But you want to see trends, how much you are losing, so you want to be consistent each day. So get up, do your business, then weigh yourself.
  • shellykinder
    shellykinder Posts: 18 Member
    I do the morning because it shows me a lower number lol as long as you do the same time everytime its your choice
  • jenn_may
    jenn_may Posts: 154 Member
    I always weigh myself first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom. I just feel like it will be more accurate this way, but just choose a time and do it that time every weigh in.
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    If you want to lie to yourself, weigh yourself first thing in the morning with aboslutely no clothes on. That's when you will be your lowest weight.

However, if you're in it for the long run and wanting to lose some significant weight, .1 of a pound isn't going to make a difference. So weigh yourself whenever you're near a scale.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,131 Member
    If you want to lie to yourself, weigh yourself first thing in the morning with aboslutely no clothes on. That's when you will be your lowest weight.

However, if you're in it for the long run and wanting to lose some significant weight, .1 of a pound isn't going to make a difference. So weigh yourself whenever you're near a scale.

THIS!! And only do it once a week or you will just freak yourself out.
  • I dont think it really matters...as long as you weigh yourself around the same time (whichever one you choose)
    I personally prefer to weigh myself in the morning, on an empty stomach.. after I've used the bathroom.
    That way I know what my empty body weighs... usually by the end of the day I weigh 5 lbs more, so I dont even bother getting on the scale.
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Morning, after using the bathroom and before eating or drinking is what I do. But as long as you do it at the same time of day every time, it shouldn't matter.
  • JLArispe
    JLArispe Posts: 62
    In the morning is the most accurate weight, as long as it is about the same time and same day every week. I learned that with weight watchers. And only weigh yourself once a week.
  • claireyf12
    claireyf12 Posts: 106
    i weigh mysef in the morning first thing, however as long as you always weigh yourself at the same time of day it doesnt matter :)
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    I weigh in the morning after I do my business, but honestly, I'm getting to the point where I say screw the scale. Body fat % is a better indicator of overall healthy and fitness anyway. Not to mention, if you are doing any strength training, the scale is not going to tell the whole story.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 833 Member
    It does not matter when you weight yourself just keep it consistant on time and day. I do weight myself in the morning when I am getting ready for work usually after I ate breakfast.
  • jenn_may
    jenn_may Posts: 154 Member
    I weigh in the morning after I do my business, but honestly, I'm getting to the point where I say screw the scale. Body fat % is a better indicator of overall healthy and fitness anyway. Not to mention, if you are doing any strength training, the scale is not going to tell the whole story.

I agree wholeheartedly. I used to focus too much on the number on the scale. Now I focus more on measurements and BMI. Measurements tell you something completely different than the scale will.
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member

Why is this lying to yoursef? If you always do it in the morning with no clothes on then it is consistent
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    I guess it came off a little more blatant than intended...

What I mean is that it's obvious your body is going to fluctuate weight from the morning to night, but that doesn't mean you weigh any different. If you're looking to hit a "number" then I guess it matters. But if you're only looking to lose weight and get healthy, then the varying of the scale shouldn't make a difference.

I can weigh myself after taking a massive poo and lose 3 pounds, but that doesn't mean that's what I weigh now.. Just don't focus on the varying so much. Morning, noon, night, it doesn't matter. Nothing is going to change that drastically to where it will make that big of a difference in the long run.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    If you want to lie to yourself weigh yourself with clothes on..... ;)

Just be consistent however you do it! With 2lbs worth of clothes and shoes or in the buff :blushing: