Exhausted, Shaking, Tired...

Options
For the last month or so, I have been lifting 3x a week, cardio (elliptical 40 minutes) 3x a week, and a nice 5.5 walk once a week. No trouble, felt great. Tired but strong and pleased I have managed to stay consistent for this long with no excuses. :smile:

This week, same routines, same weight, same everything this week and I am beat. Exhausted. My arms and legs are shaking before I am done. I am sweating buckets, I push hard, really hard, to finish, and I do, just barely. After walking, my body was just exhausted the next day. :frown:

I want to do it, I am not making excuses to NOT do it. The motivation is there, or I wouldn't have been pushing myself so hard to make it through. The ONLY thing I can think of that I changed is instead of greek yogurt and a banana for breakfast, I have been having whole grain oatmeal and a banana. I can't think of a single other thing I have changed. Any suggestions?

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    well, first add that protein back in to your breakfast. I am unsure why you want to remove it

it could just be an off week. keep track of your food and your exercise plus how you feel. maybe if it continues, you can speak to a dr or nutritionist
  • Moto_Woody
    Options
    How is your eating? Hungry?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Without seeing your food diary it's a bit of guesswork but it sounds to me like you're not getting enough carbs.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    or enough to eat in general. As we gain muscle our dietary needs also change.
  • Kristy0728
    Options
    No specific reason for me to drop the protein. I had oatmeal in the pantry that needed to be eaten, so I am eating it. I try to "eat back" about half of my exercise calories. I looked at my dairy and I have been eating more chocolate/candy than I was. I will look more closely at my food intake.

Thanks!
  • cyndist
    cyndist Posts: 43
    Options
    Could you be over training? I did that at first and refused to take a day off until the flu bug hit me. Before the flu I was pretty much never sick (seasonal allergies). As to needing to eat the oatmeal add cottage cheese or protein powder to it. I love cottage cheese added to my oatmeal. Sounds weird but it's good.
    Cindy
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cwilli36
    cwilli36 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get enough protein. I would add that back to the breakfast and see if that doesn't help. I've been told to have protein with every meal.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Could you be over training? I did that at first and refused to take a day off until the flu bug hit me. Before the flu I was pretty much never sick (seasonal allergies). As to needing to eat the oatmeal add cottage cheese or protein powder to it. I love cottage cheese added to my oatmeal. Sounds weird but it's good.
    Cindy

that does sound good. I also like adding it to yogurt
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Illness, pregnancy, not eating and/or drinking enough. Those are my go-to theories.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Your iron might be low, especially if you are post TOM.

ETA: Also your body might be fighting off an illness. You may not have symptoms, because your immune system is sucessfully kicking butt, but that can take a lot out of you. I'd listen to your body and lighten things for a bit until you feel your strength come back.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Your iron might be low, especially if you are post TOM.

ETA: Also your body might be fighting off an illness. You may not have symptoms, because your immune system is sucessfully kicking butt, but that can take a lot out of you. I'd listen to your body and lighten things for a bit until you feel your strength come back.

Don't know about TOM, But I've had similar cases where workouts that I had done several times all of a sudden seem like a challenge...and three days later I'll come down with something.

How long have you been doing that routine? You might just need to take a week off.
  • Kristy0728
    Options
    Now THERE is something I never considered. I have been turned down for blood donations in the past due to low iron...

This would be about week 4 or 5 of this routine...
  • trinoc
    trinoc Posts: 73
    Options
    My guess is it has to do w/ your cycle. If you've been doing this a month then maybe you're just now encountering the problem? I'm always extremely tired and shaky after exercise during my TOM. Iron or hormones or some super secret other. LOL I have no clue I just know that it is, for me.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I add Greek yogurt to my oatmeal. :smile: I usually have oatmeal on days that I run, and I add a half a banana and/or strawberries, the yogurt, a handful of walnuts & drizzle it with honey. Gives me great energy!

I also have iron issues when I donate blood, and it only started after I began working out regularly. To bring it up, I eat Cream of Wheat cereal several times a week before I donate. Maybe try that & see if your energy doesn't go up?
  • cyndist
    cyndist Posts: 43
    Options
    I add Greek yogurt to my oatmeal. :smile: I usually have oatmeal on days that I run, and I add a half a banana and/or strawberries, the yogurt, a handful of walnuts & drizzle it with honey. Gives me great energy!

I also have iron issues when I donate blood, and it only started after I began working out regularly. To bring it up, I eat Cream of Wheat cereal several times a week before I donate. Maybe try that & see if your energy doesn't go up?

Oh that does sound good. Will have to give this a try.
    Thanks for sharing.
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    I'm always extremely tired and shaky after exercise during my TOM.

So that was why I found my workout hard(er) this morning? Thanks for the clarification :smile:
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You have to work with your body. And listen to it.
  • Kristy0728
    Options
    Thank you everyone! You gave me some great things to consider!

:happy: