Interested in adding Protein Shakes to my diet

Options
I am interested in incorporating a protein shake or two into my diet daily, to help get more protein into my diet and aid in weight loss. I am also researching options for the Gastric Sleeve/Gastric Bypass and I would like to start using them beforehand.

Breakfast seems to be my hardest meal of the day, not because I don't eat it but because I eat too much. I would like to have a protein shake for breakfast with some fruit as a meal replacement, but I am not sure if this is a good idea or not. I also don't know what to look for in a protein shake and what to watch out for in a protein powder. Also, getting personal experiences with using protein shakes would be nice.

Any helpful advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Replies

• ThickNThunda
    ThickNThunda Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have a protein shake for lunch. I buy the smoothie packets from Target and add a scoop of Whey to it. it reminds me of a smoothie and I don't think of it as a protein shake. It just all depends on how you feel and what you think you need to do for your body.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I add whey or egg white powder in my kids cereal in the morning, and yesterday I added a scoop in my greek yogurt. Theres lots of cool ways to sneak it in there ;)
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    If you're planning on using a powder for a meal replacement as opposed to a post-workout drink I suggest turning it into a smoothie. I'll make mine with a scoop of vanilla whey (I just use the Wal-Mart brand lol), some ice, a frozen banana (crucial to getting a yummy, creamy texture!) and whatever berries I have on-hand. You can also add in some ground flax or oatmeal for extra fiber and if you have the calories. Play around with it. Protein powder is extremely versatile. I make pancakes with it and have friends that make cheesecakes with it too!
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    I have tried a bunch of protein shakes... Unjury is the best - you can order it online, and I believe they may even be able to send you samples. You can also google "Free samples of protein shakes" and you can have some sent to you.

If you like fruity flavored ones, check out Nectar - They have a Fuzzy Naval one that tastes yummy!!

I use them some days, as I am not big on breakfast either - my tummy sometimes says "heck no!!".

Both of these mix up really well and have a good flavor - for the Unjury, I reccommend the Chocolate Splendor over the regular chocolate - it tastes smoother... I also add in ice, milk, and either a banana or a tbs of peanut butter, just to add a little flavor.

I have tons of protein shake recipes (some include coffee) that are really good... :)
  • randilea
    randilea Posts: 140
    Options
    I use GNC Pro Performance Amp with milk as my protein for breakfast. I love it, it tastes just like chocolate milk. Since I am not wanting to bulk up they told me to have one scoop with milk instead of the 3 scoops listed. I scoop of the protein powder and 8 ounces of skim milk gets me:

Calories 173
    Carbs 13
    Fat 0
    Protein 28
    Fiber 0
    Sodium 220

I have tried other protein powders but never really like the taste of them. This one I can drink every morning. No problem.
  • s00sh
    s00sh Posts: 91
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition makes a really good whey powder. very low in carbs, mixes well and tastes great (i like the "double rich chocolate" flavor a lot). i can drink it just mixed with water, but if you mix it with milk (almond or soy are super yummy) and some fruit or a TBSP of peanut butter it turns into a super delicious shake.
  • Elmorlan
    Elmorlan Posts: 37
    Options
    I was put on a high protein diet by my doctor and it can be difficult to get in that much protein so I do use protein shakes. I basically went by her recommendations. I use a Super Whey protein that you can find at Walmart. They has some pretty good flavor options.I blend with water and ice. The chocolate is great blended with coffee at breakfast. I have even added a scoop to greek yogurt. Tastes like chocolate pudding!

I also use protein shots. They are a vial of liquid protein. Not a great breakfast because you won't feel very full, but good in the afternoon to jump up the protein numbers quickly. Sometimes I add it to a large mug of water and that helps to get my protein and my water for the day.

That being said, I would really talk to your doctor about what to use. Especially if you are considering surgery, they may have something that they recommend that will be good before and after.
  • AndraSales
    Options
    Funnily enough I have brought some protein powder today so I can shift those last few stubborn pounds. I got some Maximuscle Sculptress which is specifically for women and says that it aids weightloss (amongst other things). I am going to have it instead of breakfast each day which for me is easy as I always have breakfast at work. I don't think I could substitute more than one meal a day with them as they aren't particularly filling and think I'd pass out if I only had those up until my dinner in the evening.

I had one shake for breakfast this morning (2 scoops with water) followed by a banana at 11.30. I had soup for lunch and then an apple at 4.15pm. I intend on having a 'proper' dinner. I haven't been too hungry but its only the first day!

Feel free to add me as a friend as then we can compare notes if you like! Let me know what you decide to do or which protein shake you decide to get.

Good luck
    Andra
  • DisneySkaGirl
    Options
    I'm drinking Optimum Nutrition's chocolate malt whey for breakfast right now. I generally only use as a "meal replacement" when I'm out of time in the morning. Otherwise, I use it post lifting. Right now I'm using water, but when I use milk, it tastes quite literally like a chocolate malt, which makes it great for dessert on days where I missed my protein target!
  • HeartME511healthy
    HeartME511healthy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder Maxpro Protein will all natural fruit, the pre-packaged smoothies have way too much sugar in them. It may have the wrong affect. I also use coconut water with fruit and veggies in the smoothie it all depends on how focused and realistic this is to you. There is no easy answer to this one it will depend on what you are willing to change and willing to take on.

Good luck.
  • tnacey
    tnacey Posts: 4
    Options
    Well I think that's awesome and you are headed in the right direction!

I drink a protein shake every day, so let me just help you out with a typical shake:

I use these protein powders because they taste best--
    GNC wellbeing Vanilla
    Gold Standard 100% Whey protein vanilla ice cream flavor

Any type of fruit - blackberry, strawberry, mango, etc., just depends on what you like - PLUS about 1/4 to 1/3 banana (if you buy your fruit fresh you can cut them up and stick them in individual ziploc bags in any combination for EASY and QUICK!)

1 tablespoon of flaxseeds because you need the omega 3's and they are more effective if ground up. You can put in 1/4 cup of almonds or any nut if you like.

I think fruit is sweet enough but occasionally I will add a tablespoon or 2 of honey and cinnamon if all I have are pears, apple, banana, etc., or if I am going to an all day seminar or meeting I will also put about 1/4 cup of plain oats with honey, banana and cinnamon.

4 to 6 ounces of filtered water

if you like your shake more soupy than like an actual shake, just add more water or some pineapple, orange or guava juice to it also - again, whatever juice you prefer is best.

I mix everything in the blender and add the ice cubes last to make it as cold and dense as I like; in the summer I use more cubes and eat it with a spoon :)

The key to a GREAT Protein shake is to put what YOU love in it; even if its just water, vanilla protein powder, banana, honey and peanut butter!

if you eat one protein shake every day for breakfast instead of a huge meal, it will definitely keep you fuller longer and with regular exercise, I PROMISE you will definitely drop fat and gain lean muscle.

Note - I have a huge blender for home and a cute little personal blender I got at GNC for $25 that I keep in my office at work.
    Note #2 - I have been soda free for over 20 years and as soon as I stopped drinking cokes I dropped 10 pounds I don't miss and will never gain back.

Hope that helps! Good Luck to you :flowerforyou:
    Tanya
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    I wouldn't take a protein shake as a meal replacement. Those are two separate things. A protein powder only deliver proteins (some BCAA's) and some carbs (depends on brand), but doesn't deliver the nutrients that only a well balanced meal can deliver.

If you want a shake in the morning I would blend/mix milk (9g of protein per serving, plus a ton of nutrients), greek yogurt (14g of protein per seving and 0 fat), with a bananna, assorted fruits). I wouldn't stop there, your body needs carbs to energize it throught he day so I would add toast (1 or 2 pieces) or oatmeal (mixed with water). Breakfast is an important meal as it fuels your morning/day and after 8 hours of not eating, your body is starving for some fuel. This meal would have dairy, fruits/veggies and carbs covered on your food guide.

Protein shake is only necessary if you are not getting enough protein during the day (or if your workouts are intense and needed for muscle recovery). Most people protein intake far exceed the body's need.

If you still want a quick and easy meal replacement look at E-N-S-U-R-E, as it is a true meal replacement that offers a wide variety or nutrients your body needs.
  • BryGuy2
    BryGuy2 Posts: 244
    Options
    Whenever I am on a weight loss stage, I always have a protein shake in the morning. It consists of whey protein poweder, FF Milk, a scoop of PB and ice to make a smoothie. There are many different recipes, but that fits my diet plan and it has always worked for me. A lot of people prefer real food rather than protein powder, but I don't see it having a negative effect. I have 2 shakes a day because I don't like to eat so much meat and eggs in one day. Haha! That's just my preference.
  • donnamorad
    donnamorad Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Check out Shakeology. It is a beachbody product and you can find it on their website...www.beachbody.com. LOVE IT!
  • tngfordisney
    Options
    I dont use my protein shake as a replacment meal. I use it post workout and I found one that mixes easily and tastes good. Beverly International Ultimate Muscle Protein. It comes in serveral flavors and i buy it off Bobybuilding.com. good luck.